Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 31, 2019   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Processed tomatoes for salads in winter?

Does anyone use any type of canned tomatoes for salads in winter? I've never found any form that seemed to work very well. Usually too salty. Diced is ok so far as size goes, but they all seem to be loaded with salt.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #2
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I dehydrate extra tomatoes in the summer, and find that, chopped small, they make a dandy salad addition. Rehydrated, they also make a great pizza addition!
Old January 31, 2019   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

I've been thinking about using some frozen tomatoes to make a dressing for green salad - that would take care of any texture issues.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #4
LDiane

Several brands of canned tomatoes sold here don't have salt added - and it says so in big letters on the front of the label - you don't need to search the small-print area.
Old February 1, 2019   #5
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

i buy salt free crushed tomatoes and stick my immersion blender into the can until the tomatoes are pureed. I then pour it from the can onto cookie sheets about 1/4" thick. I put the cookie sheets into the oven at 125 degrees F and leave the oven door slightly cracked for moisture to escape. By the time I get out of bed in the morning, I have tomato bark. I either break it or cut it with scissors into small pieces. It keeps well in zip lock bags. Small pieces are good crumbled on salads or added to a bowl of ramen soup. It's really handy to have around for anything when you want to add some tomato flavor.

Lightly oil the cookie sheet before pouring the puree into it so it will release. You can also add spices to the can of tomatoes before using the blender. Next time I make some, I will pour most of the canning liquid out of the can before blending it so it will dry faster. I could do the same thing with tomato sauce, but for some reason; the crushed tomatoes taste better to me.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote