Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 14, 2012   #16
dice
Tomatovillian™

How does the DTM compare to other tomatoes that you
have growing where the average DTM is already known?
(Just curious; Brandwyine tends to push the limits of our
seasons up here.)
Old July 14, 2012   #17
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Dice- Good question. I have not kept track of that info but maybe I should start! What I can say though is I got ripe fruit from these two in 93 days from set out. Could have been sooner if I waited another month, who knows? I've grown both JBT and BW here but didn't keep track of DTM on them. Just from memory BW was one of the last to ripen here and I believe JBT was more in the middle somewhere.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #18
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Ok here is a visual update on both the pink plum/bomb and the pink pear. Space is limited so I'm only growing three on of each. Both of these are at the F4 stage. If i find what im looking for in the flavor department (awsome bw flavor)I might consider growing a few of each this fall. The first picture is of the plum/bomb shaped one's and the second picture is of the pear shaped one's. I've recently noticed that they can look similar in shape maybe I should say bomb/plum/pear shaped. Lol

Damon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371855342641.jpg (73.2 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371855362410.jpg (76.8 KB, 127 views)
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #19
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Mmm, they look good
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #20
dice
Tomatovillian™

They both look like they set nice clusters.
Old June 26, 2013   #21
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

very nice looking Damon! Keep us informed as to how they do as the season progresses!
Old August 22, 2014   #22
persianninja
Tomatovillian™

Thought I'd post...
I took meticulous steps to preserve my 1st Japanese Black Trifle (cause it was my favorate tomato of the 15 varieties i tried that year).
The one i planted last year ended up looking really different so thought it was a mistake but didn't have any tomato seeds that matched that color and shape it produced last year (yellow/orange tomatoes I grew last year were Amanda Orange, Hawaiian Pineapple, Homer Fike's Yellow Oxheart and Golden King of Siberia). Maybe it crossed with one of them?

I grew seeds from last years hybrid again this year and the shape seemed to revert to a slight JBT form on 1 of the 3 plants. Really pretty inside.
Just thought I'd share and see if anyone wants to help grow next year and maybe stabilize the shape (not sure whats involved with that).

####################################
Last year's 1st generation of JBT x Unknown cross:

####################################
This years hybrid had same colors but went back to JBT shape on one of the 3 plants I grew out, really cool:

Top right is one of hybrids, compared to other Black/Red/Pink Trifles

Anyone want seeds later on to grow next year?,
Arian

PS how do you resize pics in the forum i tried
[IMG width=800 height=600]... to no avail
persianninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2014   #23
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

oh I'd try to grow those, I'm paring down next year as the garden was too big (again) but will have a spot for all the step children lol....
Old August 22, 2014   #24
persianninja
Tomatovillian™

Cool lakelady, I'll start saving some seeds and will get back to you in the fall/winter.
P.S. the one tomato in the middle of one of the pics looks like a superbloom (superbloom=basically two or more flowers in one, giving the fruit a weird, large shape.. megablooms=are the conjoined twins of tomatoes.).
Can you collect seeds from superbloomed tomatoes with no issue? or like one side's seeds could become a hybrid by another nearby tomato's flowers and the other side could be non-hybridized, lol?
-Arian

Last edited by persianninja; August 22, 2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old August 23, 2014   #25
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Nice tomatos. I would like to try this tomato if you get enough seeds. Will pm you.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #26
snugglekitten
BANNED

One thing I find interesting is the fact that the purple epipermis came throuth in this F1.

I was very surprised to find that in my last cross between a pink and a purple, the offspring were pink, and in the F2 more segregated to pink than to purple (although it is admittantly a darker pink than the parent).
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2014   #27
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianninja View Post
Cool lakelady, I'll start saving some seeds and will get back to you in the fall/winter.
P.S. the one tomato in the middle of one of the pics looks like a superbloom (superbloom=basically two or more flowers in one, giving the fruit a weird, large shape.. megablooms=are the conjoined twins of tomatoes.).
Can you collect seeds from superbloomed tomatoes with no issue? or like one side's seeds could become a hybrid by another nearby tomato's flowers and the other side could be non-hybridized, lol?
-Arian
oh my goodness. what a thought! As if breeding tomatoes doesn't confuse me enough! lol
Old August 25, 2014   #28
persianninja
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglekitten View Post
One thing I find interesting is the fact that the purple epipermis came throuth in this F1.

I was very surprised to find that in my last cross between a pink and a purple, the offspring were pink, and in the F2 more segregated to pink than to purple (although it is admittantly a darker pink than the parent).
Hey snugglekitten,
What do you mean the purple epipermis came through on the F1 (that initial round-heart shaped one of mine)?
The outer skin doesn't seem purple to me. Just thought I'd ask.

You got me curious on F1/F2 hybrids... Been looking at some old school Mendell genetics tables to remind myself how simple gene crosses work haha.
So that plum-shaped F2 looks like it has potato leaves... and since Regular Leaf is dominant I read, then that one plant must be PLxPL (vs PLxRL, RLxRL). But the other two F2's I grew have the more Regular-Leaf form (so assume those F2's are RLxRL and/or PLxRL).
So Potato Leaf form is at least stabilized in that one F2 tomato (assuming the F2 didn't cross with another tomato this year). That sound right?

The other two F2 plants are also the more rounder-heart shaped form of last year's F1's. Might grow that one though just to see what happens too.
Old August 26, 2014   #29
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianninja View Post
Hey snugglekitten,
What do you mean the purple epipermis came through on the F1 (that initial round-heart shaped one of mine)?
The outer skin doesn't seem purple to me. Just thought I'd ask.

You got me curious on F1/F2 hybrids... Been looking at some old school Mendell genetics tables to remind myself how simple gene crosses work haha.
So that plum-shaped F2 looks like it has potato leaves... and since Regular Leaf is dominant I read, then that one plant must be PLxPL (vs PLxRL, RLxRL). But the other two F2's I grew have the more Regular-Leaf form (so assume those F2's are RLxRL and/or PLxRL).
So Potato Leaf form is at least stabilized in that one F2 tomato (assuming the F2 didn't cross with another tomato this year). That sound right?

The other two F2 plants are also the more rounder-heart shaped form of last year's F1's. Might grow that one though just to see what happens too.

Oh, okay, I thought that photo with a plethora of maters represented different states of maturity, my bad.

Anyhow PL will stabilize after you eliminate ALL RL's from the germoplasm sample, the next generation will be PL - you can do this at F3, F4, etc.....

ALL PLxPL should produce 100% PL.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote