Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 8, 2010   #16
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

I had it last year. Thought I had about 100 other diff. diseases until I finally figured out what the heck it was. I have heard that it is spread in greenhouses- so it could be from plants that I ordered or it could have been from the horrible, horrible "soil" that was used to fill in a pool here. Knocked out some plants right away, some fought through it. I'll have to double check to see if I saved any links or photos from last year- I'm certain I deleted all my IPhone pics saying I was never growing tomatoes ever again (that worked out well )

I used actinovate, myco's, drenches--- a trillion things- plus the sun finally came out in New England so that too probably helped too. Didn't help the maters though. I lost a ton to late blight at another location, had to throw out hundreds of tomatoes here that weren't just spitters bug GAGGERS. The first plants I ripped only had some brown in the middle, however the plants I stopped treating and caring about got the traditional BPN appearance.

Okay, I can't get a link to copy here for some reason. Google "bacterial pith necrosis" and you'll see a tomato with inner funk.
Old July 8, 2010   #17
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Old July 8, 2010   #18
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

http://erec.ifas.ufl.edu/tomato-scou...necrosis.shtml
Old July 8, 2010   #19
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

I could only imagine what biting into a nice tomato fresh off the vine, expecting wonderful tomato goodness, and tasting that would be like.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2010   #20
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Timmah, I threw quite a few tomato related temper tantrums last year- both online and off .

The worst part was the hope- I have that dern "never give up" gene. :0) After a ton of bad tomatoes I ripped up all the tomatoes and took pictures of all my pulled tomatoes with hundreds of fruit. Also took tons of late blight destruction photos. Probably a good thing I deleted them though. . . hope springs eternal!!!

Ps- Marsha I'm sure you probably don't have what I did. :0) I had leaf symptoms, dying plants also the weird grey ends on green fruit etc. Don't mean to freak you out. :0) If you're plants have always been lovely looking I'm sure you're fine. :0)
Old July 8, 2010   #21
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

I'd throw a fit that the neighbors would look outside to see what's going on if what happened to you were to happen to me.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2010   #22
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The first four fruits on my Chapman had BER but the rest seem to be fine. In my experience it doesn't last long but it is disheartening to lose the first couple of tomatoes.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2010   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
The first four fruits on my Chapman had BER but the rest seem to be fine. In my experience it doesn't last long but it is disheartening to lose the first couple of tomatoes.
Are you referring to internal blackening which is what this thread is about, or the typical BER on the exterior?

Yes I agree HEather, the liklihood of Marsha having bacterial Pith Necrosis is about zilch. Sheesh, I haven't used that word in a while.

Now back to my recliner with the fan on high; yet another day where the temps here are over 90 and the humidity just terrible. Good thing my computer has variable fan speed but out of compassion for the last several days I log on, look around, and then turn it off b'c it also heats up the room as do all computers but it's 82 in here now and that;'s enough warmth for both me and my puter.
Old July 12, 2010   #24
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Timmah- I threw tomatoes, also. Very therapeutic actually. :0)
Old July 17, 2010   #25
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Caroyln, I was referring to both on my Chapman; but just by coincidence I got the internal kind, I guess, on my one surviving Cowlicks. I was cutting up some tomatoes for seed saving and I cut through a medium sized beautiful red Cowlick's Brandywine only to find the interior to be very black. I have never seen it that bad in a healthy looking tomato. I have seen small areas but never the complete center of the fruit with no outward manifestations.
Possibly this could be the result of the plant having TSWV. I spotted the TSWV on this plant on the 8th of June and it has still produced well over a dozen tomatoes that have been very good. The first tomatoes off the plant after the initial stage of the infection were a little on the small side but as the plant has continued to live and seemingly get a little stronger the fruit size has increased.
Old July 17, 2010   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Caroyln, I was referring to both on my Chapman; but just by coincidence I got the internal kind, I guess, on my one surviving Cowlicks. I was cutting up some tomatoes for seed saving and I cut through a medium sized beautiful red Cowlick's Brandywine only to find the interior to be very black. I have never seen it that bad in a healthy looking tomato. I have seen small areas but never the complete center of the fruit with no outward manifestations.
Possibly this could be the result of the plant having TSWV. I spotted the TSWV on this plant on the 8th of June and it has still produced well over a dozen tomatoes that have been very good. The first tomatoes off the plant after the initial stage of the infection were a little on the small side but as the plant has continued to live and seemingly get a little stronger the fruit size has increased.
Cowlick Brandywine is RED? I thought is was pink.

The degree of internal blackening can be highly variable form a small area to almost the entire inside being black.

What a bummer when I'd think I'd be harvesting a perfectly normal lookiong fruit and finding that inside. Based on my experience over the years internal BER is not all that common.
Old July 17, 2010   #27
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Sorry about the "red" but I'm so used to saying "ripe red tomato" that I frequently say it when describing the pink ones too.
Thank goodness it isn't that common, because it sure has a high yuck factor.