Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 20, 2017   #1
chlorophile
Tomatovillian™

Default Need assistance with ID

Hi all,

Three of the four heirlooms I am growing this year are declining due to a disease I can't definitively identify. I am beginning to suspect bacterial canker at this point given the wilting pattern, but there are also foliar lesions that accompany the wilt and are confusing me a bit.

So, here's the pattern - dark spots without yellow halo show up on the foliage; they seem to look similar to images of bacterial spot I've seen. The leaves then wilt without any yellowing at all and almost overnight are crispy and brown, and the lesions seem to have a concentric pattern similar to fungal disease. I have a bit of early blight and septoria in the mix, but I know their effects and this is something much more aggressive.

Other details- no lesions on the fruit, at least nothing more than an odd spot here or there. Lesions on stem as well (could be septoria), and none of the lesions on the leaves or stem aggregate-they have defined margins. There is no yellowing associated with the wilt, so I believe that rules out fusarium and verticillium wilt-correct me if I'm wrong there. Also, there were no signs of illness until well after fruit set.

It has almost totally defoliated my tie dye pink and is having a solid go at my brad's atomic grape (the fruits of which don't look like the images of seen, but that's another topic) . It also took my Paul Robeson out entirely (boo), so I'm pretty bummed.

The hybrids in the same row are not succumbing to the disease, so I'm thinking this is a wilt of sorts for which they have resistance. It hasn't gotten to my black cherry yet, but I'm keeping an eye out for it.

Thoughts?? Thanks everyone.

P. S. The stem pictured below is not yellow - I accidentally had the flash on and it washed out the green.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
chlorophile is offline   Reply With Quote