Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old June 15, 2014   #1
Virtex
Tomatovillian™

Default Supernatural Rootstock

Looking for instructions on Supernatural Rootstock seed germination.

Anyone know if its like other root stocks that need to be planted in advance of your scion? If you remember how many days in advance? Does it require light to germinate. And any other observations you had would be a great help. At $9 for 20 I don't want to mess it up.

Thank you
Virtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2014   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

I had no problem growing Supernatural rootstock from seed nor any of the other 12 or so I had. They germinated as well as the other tomatoes. But because of the expense of the seed I would be sure to sow your scions in series of times before, during, and after sowing your rootstocks just to be safe. Different levels of light from indirect, semi direct, and direct sunlight will also determine stem diameter which is essential for good grafts as the same size is needed.

One can match the diameter a bit closer by cutting the scion higher or lower than normal.

Reminds me to check my groups of wild species of tomatoes to see if they are blooming as I want to create my own root stock seed lines by making 100's of combinations. My first attempt at creating my own root stock hybrid was between my old Pixie Red Rock variety and a habrochaites species back in 1971 or 72. I could not believe the vigor of crossing a dwarf tomato with what then known as hirsutum not habrochaites I did a side graft back then.

I have a whole series of wild species introgressed lines with different chromosomes involved, hoping these might aid my hybridizing efforts.

The cost of root stock seed is a factor to my clients who graft millions of plants and if can come up with a cheaper substitute they would make more money or at least be able to offer bulk prices to commercial growers who need to watch their costs too.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2014   #3
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

If you let a few grow much larger, you can harvest lots of body parts from all over the plant to use as rootstock. Save a good bit of $$, but takes longer.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2014   #4
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I planted mine a week before the scions but wished i would of done them two weeks earlier. The supernatural started out slow but then far outgrew the scions.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2014   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I planted mine a week before the scions but wished i would of done them two weeks earlier. The supernatural started out slow but then far outgrew the scions.
When that happens I just graft higher up on the rootstock.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2014   #6
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
When that happens I just graft higher up on the rootstock.

Bill
Thats a good idea Bill. I had some of the plants get away from me. I was going to root some suckers but decided to grow it out for seed. Im going to grow out the seed and grow out the seed to see what i get. As for the flavor the supernatural it was a bit of a spitter to say the least.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #7
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

Mine just came in the mail! I'm excited. It's a little late to start seeds even for the fall tomato season, but it'll be good practice for spring.
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #8
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
If you let a few grow much larger, you can harvest lots of body parts from all over the plant to use as rootstock. Save a good bit of $$, but takes longer.
So are you saying, you root cuttings of the rootstock, then further graft those cuttings? Do you overwinter the mother plant?
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #9
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Yes. Or even better, make the graft first, then root it. Check with Delerium's posts on her "no-root" graft method.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #10
Virtex
Tomatovillian™

Good news 100% germination 8/8. More good news they came up the same day as everything else. So far I am very happy, will update when they are grafting size.
Virtex is offline   Reply With Quote