Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 19, 2014   #1
Jeff_M
Tomatovillian™

Default Hight heat versus Sunlight- North Texas

Howdy,
I live in Dallas and have my tomatoes started in 5 gallon buckets.

Right now they are in the middle of my yard with full sunlight all day, but the weather is cool.
Soon I will have to setup some supports and need to find my permanent location.

Problem I ran into last year is: (I thought) when it got hot my plants seem to suffer in the top afternoon temperatures (100+). I moved them to a fence line that gave them shade in the afternoon from ~1:00PM on.

I read that tomatoes need full sunlight 8+ hours and was worried that if I move my current crop to this location they will only get ~8:00AM-1:00PM sunlight.

Should I just let them get full sunlight during the summer?
How much heat is too much heat and where is the heat vs sunlight tradeoff?

Thanks!
Jeff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2014   #2
Jeff_M
Tomatovillian™

Bump
Any suggestions?
Old April 28, 2014   #3
Jeff_M
Tomatovillian™

Any suggestions?
*sorry if doublepost happens..my account just got activated and not sure if my other posts will pop up*
Old April 28, 2014   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

We use shade cloth when temp starts hitting 95 degrees. Most in AZ do.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2014   #5
Jeff_M
Tomatovillian™

Thanks.
Does the shadecloth and my fenceline accomplish the same thing?
The fence line will give them shade in the afternoon after around 2PM.
Old April 28, 2014   #6
jmhammRN
Tomatovillian™

My thinking is that if you could just block a few hours at midday, noon to 3 or 4, that might help. Even though it gets hotter later in the day the sun is blaring straight down at high noon which might cause more trauma to the plant and fruit. No expert here just trying to help the discussion.

Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 29, 2014   #7
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

The 8+ hours is just an ideal, and more of a goal for northern growers that have shorter seasons and sun that is not as hot and at a lower angle than in the far south. Even so, many people do grow tomatoes in as few as 4 or 5 hours of direct sun, working with what they have. I think your 8AM-1:00 time slot should be just fine. Sounds like you did the right thing last year.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014   #8
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Most of mine get 5-8 hours and they do okay, but more light would help. When the July heat comes on the tomatoes stop anyway
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014   #9
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

You will start to notice drop off below 8 hours, still pretty good with at least 7. Below 7, plants don't grow as well or full, below 6 the plants get spindly and the fruit you get is mealy textured and low flavored.

Yes to afternoon shade when it is hot. A fence works well. Afternoon shading has worked very well for me growing in earthtainers. I start them in the spring in a full sun area and when it hits 90's plus daily, I move them to a place where they are shaded by the house starting at 3 p.m. That has resulted in plants that survive the Texas heat all summer. If they don't make it, it is because I grew weary of spraying and tending to them in the shut down times of July/August waiting for more hospital temps in the fall.

Do remember that as the earth moves into summer patterns, your shade patterns will change a good bit from where they are right now, so your ideal spot now may not be in June. Containers have an issue with over heating, and the smaller they are, the more that is the case. Because of that, after this next week of relatively cooler temps, start watching the heating effect closely. Too hot in the root zones can result in a major case of B.E.R. on your fruit because it inhibits the uptake of calcium. In addition to shade, I'd do my best to avoid locating buckets on concrete surfaces as they get very hot in the sun. Good luck.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014   #10
Jeff_M
Tomatovillian™

Thanks very much for the help.

I guess my goal will be to keep them full sun (middle of yard) until it starts staying really hot all day.
Then I will move the buckets to the fence line to get them some shade afternoon.

Any concerns moving such a large plant? Last year they grew huge and I am now worried about breaking branches.

Thanks again!
Old April 29, 2014   #11
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Just put up shade cloth. It's a lot easier to move the cloth than to move the plants. They make shade cloth in different percentages of light transmission. Some people use an old bed sheet. Tomatoes don't need 100% of the blazing summer sun.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014   #12
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

If you go shade cloth, which I do for those I've planted in dirt, I'd go 50% sun block. That is still plenty of sunshine for them and when you walk under it, the ambient air temp feels substantially cooler!

Any time you move plant beyond a foot tall, there is a very real danger of breakage. If you are using cages or some other support, that'll help a good bit.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014   #13
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Just put up shade cloth. It's a lot easier to move the cloth than to move the plants. They make shade cloth in different percentages of light transmission. Some people use an old bed sheet. Tomatoes don't need 100% of the blazing summer sun.
No kidding! I use t-posts with PVC pipe on top to extend them, then just make a tent out of shade cloth. The first year I just used old bed sheets!
I found that Harber a freight has great deals on shade cloth. Huge sizes for about $30, enough to do my 8X16 gardens.
The plants will tell you when they start needing shade. Mine usually do fine until it's close to 100 degrees. The year I planted potatoes, they needed shade very early, when temps were bumping 90. They only made it through April but I still got a bucket full of small new potatoes.

Last edited by Tracydr; April 29, 2014 at 04:17 PM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2014   #14
Kazfam
Tomatovillian™

Let your plants tell you. If they look overly stressed - move them or use shade cloth for some relief - 100 degrees is hot.

90's are returning to South Carolina later this week - yuck.
Old June 3, 2014   #15
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazfam View Post
90's are returning to South Carolina later this week - yuck.
Hopefully the 3 days of cool weather was enough to get a flush of fruit setting. My plants look ready to take off.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote