Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old April 12, 2018   #1
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Default New raised beds under plastic..

Last couple of days I have been tackling one of those long awaited "projects". The kind that you know one day you will eventually get too.

The plan all along for the tunnel was raised beds. Just a matter of getting there. Im a fan of raised beds for several reasons. Better drainage, soil warms faster, more organized, etc. For reference, the tunnel is 12x48. The beds are 2x48.

These beds on the sides are built from Pressure Treated lumber. I spent a great deal of time on this matter. Im not convinced that the modern stuff poses any hazard what so ever. And honestly, I feel like the "scare tactics" about the old preservative is based on some really dicey "science". But thats a discussion for another day.

Nothing is planted in the beds yet due to all the flats in the way. Im hoping this weekend I can sell a whole bunch of plants to make room for planting. Otherwise its going to get very crowded. Even if I have to pull every other flat out to stick a seedling in, ill do what I have to do.

The 188 bags in the middle are Roma II bush beans. My all time favorite. Just starting to germ. These will probably fizzle out by about mid-June, based on last years evidence. Once they fizzle, all these bags will be replaced with raised beds. The bags will be used elsewhere at that point, until they are no longer usable.

FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Wow, you have done a lot of work. It sure looks nice. You have done a wonderful job.
Old April 13, 2018   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

There is a lot of science in the fact oxygen/Co2 change roles when the sun goes down.It reverses.Why did and still do take plants out of hospital rooms at night.Plants eat and exude both.If you crowd a given area,and the “air” will be too much at the wrong time(flowering,vegetative,harvest).Fans at the tops of hoops cool out the excess heat and the humidity,you can inject Co2 via simple duct,timers if needed,plant dependent.As we all know humidity is the culprit,it harbors all the crud,grows it.Keep oxy/ Co2 in check.Those beans are in the perfect spot center,they shouldn’t crowd out sun for adjacent planting’s.What direction is the hoop positioned,n to south,east west,?Twoo open ends( doors )can help ,and I know you know that.During heavy sun,moisture the plastics will run water inside,green algae might develop here and there.These conditions I have seen down here in 10 b.goog luck nice work.
Old April 13, 2018   #4
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Kurt, glad I read your whole post. I thought at first you posted in the wrong thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
There is a lot of science in the fact oxygen/Co2 change roles when the sun goes down.It reverses.Why did and still do take plants out of hospital rooms at night.Plants eat and exude both.If you crowd a given area,and the “air” will be too much at the wrong time(flowering,vegetative,harvest).
I cant comment on this, but I trust what your saying.

Quote:
Fans at the tops of hoops cool out the excess heat and the humidity,you can inject Co2 via simple duct,timers if needed,plant dependent.As we all know humidity is the culprit,it harbors all the crud,grows it.Keep oxy/ Co2 in check.
I do know that folks who grow "medical herbs" with indoor grows sometimes inject Co2, but thats all I know about that.

Quote:
Those beans are in the perfect spot center,they shouldn’t crowd out sun for adjacent planting’s.What direction is the hoop positioned,n to south,east west,?Twoo open ends( doors )can help ,and I know you know that.During heavy sun,moisture the plastics will run water inside,green algae might develop here and there.These conditions I have seen down here in 10 b.goog luck nice work.
East to West. One of these days I plan to add exhaust fans, but the plastic on the far end does come off. Last year I left it on, that was a mistake.
Old April 13, 2018   #5
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

FourOaks: Wow, just Wow! Nice, neat, well constructed. Something to be proud of.
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2018   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Those beans can take up a lot of real estate.Here they use a inexpensive fishing line diamond squared million foot x 6 ft highmesh.Vine dependent,long skinny greens,and or short stocky pods they train at 45 degrees,since the mesh opens as diamond?
As you know once they start reaching off they go.Some farmers on smaller lands make a simple horseshoe,2sides top ,minimal cross tieBrace.Enough for two pickers in the shade at arms length.A living hoop house if you will.Quite novel for a home,tuck some orchids underneath,red white tablecloth checkered,wine,honey(wife?) dogs for me nowadays.The idea is to filter as much sun to the vines.Straight up,plants knock out each other’s sun.And we know the move fast 3 ,4 inches a day.Key with the bags,couple 3 inches between then,no harbor for crud’s,moisture,those 4 footed little vermin’s.And that airflow/exchange.Keeps the boritis(the ever present lite white fuzz) that torments me down in 10 b.The hanging troughs are neat,keep them not on top of your delicates,the watering will compromise them underneath via watering.

Last edited by kurt; April 13, 2018 at 06:32 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #7
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I think Roma II is what I grow: it's a bush bean

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #8
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I think Roma II is what I grow: it's a bush bean

Nan

Yes indeedy. They are my personal favorite, and I have noticed that not too many Market Farmers in my area grow them. So when customers realize what I have, its good for me.
Old April 14, 2018   #9
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Very tasty & productive, even in 5 hours of sun. I grow the yellow; easy to spot during harvest.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #10
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Great news, beans have started popping up! Next thing we know it will be pick'n time.
Old April 18, 2018   #11
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Great job on those beds! Is that the same greenhouse you had last year? It looks bigger and with a lot more sun. Of course last year you had a bunch of monster plants growing vertically that ate up a lot of space (and sun).
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2018   #12
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Yep. Its the 12x48 Tunnel. This one last year had the bean bags, I think I did 40 as the experiment. I also had the summer squash and zucchini that I swore I would never put in there again.
Old April 18, 2018   #13
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Beans are coming right along. Watering is already a chore. Looking into a sprinkler system that is installed against the ceiling.

Old April 23, 2018   #14
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

nice!! I like raised beds so you don't have to bend over so far - if at all.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018   #15
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Nice work. It would be neat if you could just flood the center area with the beans in an inch or two of water, and irrigate them that way. I want all of my plants on flood tables at some point.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote