Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 3, 2014   #16
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

All about compression. Once they set up and especially once the roots take over they hold together very well.
The 3/4 inch goes right onto the 2 inch which goes right onto the 4 inch, block which is the big one in the pics. I have given up the 3/4 inch in favor of starting seed in DE though.
The 4 inch block maker is a single, so not really suited for serious volume but works great for home use.
They do make a 3 inch stand up version that makes 6 at a time as well as a stand up 2 inch that makes 12 at a time.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #17
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I'm impressed! But I agree with bower, resist, resist the temptation to plant out too early. I'm not willing to lose all this hard work in a weak moment. Although I know how much I'm itching to get started.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #18
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Your soil blocks looks amazing, James!!!!! Can I ask what you look for when you're checking/deciding the plant out day here for us around LI/NY? Thanks!
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #19
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Luigiwu,
All I am looking for is a 10 day forecast with no lows below 50 and hopefully a few days of decent weather after plant out. Certainly didn't get that last year!
It is looking real good after Thursday. I will only be partially ready anyway so if the 10 day is looking good on Friday I will probably try to get at least a few planted next weekend.
If you think you are hardened off and you like the forecast....
Old May 4, 2014   #20
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

I've never seen soil blocks like that before. VERY cool! You definitely got a great head start on the season, James. Have you done this soil block technique before?
Old May 5, 2014   #21
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

My 3rd season with the blocks. Will never go back to cups...