Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 12, 2008   #16
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

New to me this year:

Pumpkins...seeds saved from the jack'o'lantern last fall.

Watermelon and cataloupes.

Gherkins (for pickles).

Gourds and wildflowers...actually I grew gourds last year-by accident. Some compost in my tomato planting holes turning into birdhouse gourd vines! This year I'm doing it on purpose.

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2008   #17
RosaDawn
Tomatovillian™

new for me this year will be cilantro,snow peas and chantenay carrots.I also want to try the podding radish if I can remember to order it soon.
RosaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2008   #18
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I am trying brussels sprouts for the first time ever. We don't eat them either. My ex-husband loves the nasty little things (boy do they produce a stench when you cook them.) BUT - the kiddo loved the green beans we grew last year so much (and green beans had never once crossed her lips) and they were so much better than what you get at the store, we thought it might be worth putting a couple of brussel sprout plants up in the garden as an experiment.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2008   #19
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Will be growing the Uminami Cucumber as this years curiosity plant. This Cucumber needs to be trellised as it alledgegly gets 2-3 ft in length and 3-5 inches in diameter. Have tohave something to talk about as the walking community strolls by my yard and garden.
Old March 20, 2008   #20
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

I'm also growing sweets for the first time this year. Looking so forward to it, but a little intimidated too.

I will be growing Chinese cabbage for the first time this year, too.

And, of the 46 varieties of tomatoes this year, 10 are new!

Right now, I just wish the sun would shine more and the clouds would rain less.

Lisa
Old March 20, 2008   #21
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

I grow something new-to-me every year. This year it's Chartwell romaine lettuce, 3 new-to-me Italian greens & 8 new-to-me OP tomato varieties. Can't wait to get started.....
LarryD
Old March 22, 2008   #22
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Last year the first-time-ever crop was Guatemalan Blue squash, Mezzo Nano Brussels Sprouts. This year it's a couple of Asian greens: Green Lance and Win-Win bok choy. I'll also be growing Eden's Gem melon for the first time. Aji Colorado, Aji Amarillo, and Trinidad Perfume chiles are new as well, as is Sahuaro, which is an anaheim type pepper. And purely for the heck of it, Egyptian Green cotton.

P.S. I love Brussels Sprouts. But even in Michigan we planted them mid-summer for a fall/winter crop. They are sooo much better after a frost or two. I have dug them out of snow drifts--planted a "flag" so I could find them without too much trouble.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2008   #23
annecros
Tomatovillian™

Our first intentional melon patch (in the past we have had our compost pile spontaneously produce some lovely melons) and this fall shell type garden peas. The peas are going to be interesting.

Oh, and I stuck some sprouted white potatoes from the grocery store into an old recycle bin we had in the garage and dumped some recycled potting soil, some extra compost, and a handful of Garden Tone in there and put it out back in a sunny spot. Shocked me with a great response - I expected it to be a disaster. Will hillup the first time next weekend, and I only planted them six inches deep, so I can hillup about two feet around the plants as they grow.
annecros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2008   #24
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Ruth,

What are your thoughts on Guatemalan Blue?

Mine have been killed by vine borers, the past two years. This year it goes under a floating row cover.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2008   #25
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Will be growing the Uminami Cucumber for the 1st time this year. It alledgedly gets 2-3 feet in length and 3-5 inches in diameter. Always like to have something unusual to talk about. I have some seeds for a variety of Heading Collards I may try as well.
Old March 24, 2008   #26
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Jim, if what you have is "Morris Heading" collards, I like them a lot. I've grown them the last two years. Enjoy!
Old March 25, 2008   #27
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Michele
I don't know what type of Heading Collard they are. I got them from a lady in South Carolina. She said they had been in her Husband's family over 100 years. I'll have a few seeds left. They could be a different variety than yours. If interested PM me and the're yours
Old March 25, 2008   #28
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

I am trying lots of new things this year (they are no means new, but new for me), they are: Purple Tomatillo, Elephant garlic, couple of tomatoes, more squash(odessa, lebanese bush marrow, ponca butternut, kabocha, bush buttercup, redondo tronco verde, crook neck, straight neck,lemon squash and thelma sander),melon,water melon radish... and romanesco broccoli. I didn't plan to add that much new types but got carried away while ordering.
Tomaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2008   #29
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Neck pumpkins, vegetable spaghetti, mascara lettuce, perhaps a melon. Squirrels usually grab them when they are about 3-4". Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2008   #30
Hairy Moose Knuckles
Tomatovillian™

Oh my gosh, am I ever.

Tomatoes...Too many to list

Squash
Adapazari

Cucumber
Armenian

Beans
Insuk Wang Kong
Kew
an unknown bean from Italy
Childers Cut Short
Tarbais
Metze's Willow Leaf
Ralph Italian
Tapachetl
many...many...more beans About 50 different kinds to date. Some now, some in fall.
Hairy Moose Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote