Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old March 2, 2018   #751
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Lots and lots of different kinds if Kim chi. I was at my fav market and decided to try this "white" Kim chi. The owner says they call it winter Kim chi in Korea and it looks to be mostly daikons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (318.3 KB, 124 views)
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #752
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Hi Worth, finally ordered a small 5 liter crock from here https://www.knifemerchant.com/produc...roductID=12580. Should be getting it by the end of day tomorrow. Looks a little like your Krockatoa! Was looking for black steel baking pans, got a crock instead. It took me a long time..
Old March 9, 2018   #753
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrr_Luda View Post
Hi Worth, finally ordered a small 5 liter crock from here https://www.knifemerchant.com/produc...roductID=12580. Should be getting it by the end of day tomorrow. Looks a little like your Krockatoa! Was looking for black steel baking pans, got a crock instead. It took me a long time..
You are going to kick yourself for not getting one sooner.
5 liter is the perfect size.
When I get my hectic life fixed I am going to get two that size myself.
Just so many things going on I dont have enough of me to go around.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #754
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What the hell am I waiting on.
I just ordered two 5 liter German style fermenting crocks from the sausage maker.
10 dollars more than the ones on the link but I am a long time customer of theirs and they are good people.
Plus it was no tax and free shipping.

Worth
Old March 9, 2018   #755
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

On the floor! Krocking up here! Was daydreaming of using the stones, hoping it will get here today instead of tomorrow, read your post about getting 2 of them, noted that it was a good idea, now reading this! That is super quick thinking, opposite of me! Congratulations Worth, they will serve you well!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
What the hell am I waiting on.
I just ordered two 5 liter German style fermenting crocks from the sausage maker.
10 dollars more than the ones on the link but I am a long time customer of theirs and they are good people.
Plus it was no tax and free shipping.

Worth
Old March 9, 2018   #756
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
On the floor! Krocking up here! Was daydreaming of using the stones, hoping it will get here today instead of tomorrow, read your post about getting 2 of them, noted that it was a good idea, now reading this! That is super quick thinking, opposite of me! Congratulations Worth, they will serve you well!!!
The thinking has been going on for awhile I just kept forgetting to order.
What I am going to attempt is a Poblano hot sauce of all things.
Thought it up the other day and I have never seen it.
Old March 10, 2018   #757
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I know you will read the instructions but any who.
If your home temperature fluctuates from day to night by even 5 or so degrees the water in the mote will disappear when it is colder then re appear when it warms up.
Quite ghost like.
During the low tide event dont add water or it will end up on the counter when it warms back up.
The water is on the back side of the lid still sealing the concoction from outside air.
The other thing is to put the lid on and then add water slowly not the other way around like I did the first time.
What I did was keep a bottle of brine solution to add water to the mote if need be.
No matter how anxious you may get don't open the lid for at least two weeks three is even better.

Worth
Old March 10, 2018   #758
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I know you will read the instructions but any who.
If your home temperature fluctuates from day to night by even 5 or so degrees the water in the mote will disappear when it is colder then re appear when it warms up.
Quite ghost like.
During the low tide event dont add water or it will end up on the counter when it warms back up.
The water is on the back side of the lid still sealing the concoction from outside air.
The other thing is to put the lid on and then add water slowly not the other way around like I did the first time.
What I did was keep a bottle of brine solution to add water to the mote if need be.
No matter how anxious you may get don't open the lid for at least two weeks three is even better.

Worth
Hi Worth, just reading your instructions now! It is here, looks huge, already with 3 small heads of cabbage in it. It will probably fit another two heads of cabbage, but i see there isn't enough juice to cover the stones completely, so i need something heavy like a rock from the backyard, before i put the lid on semi-permanently, so far i opened it 5 times already!!!!! and poured water to the mote instead of brine!!! I wonder how many more mistakes I'll make before learning. I am planning to use it often, so i guess i'll have to learn eventually. You are right about getting 2, would be good to have one dedicated to kimchi only, will take another two years for me to get there. So, you'll be making 5 liters of poblano hot sauce? Hope it comes out amazing!
Old March 10, 2018   #759
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi Worth, just reading your instructions now! It is here, looks huge, already with 3 small heads of cabbage in it. It will probably fit another two heads of cabbage, but i see there isn't enough juice to cover the stones completely, so i need something heavy like a rock from the backyard, before i put the lid on semi-permanently, so far i opened it 5 times already!!!!! and poured water to the mote instead of brine!!! I wonder how many more mistakes I'll make before learning. I am planning to use it often, so i guess i'll have to learn eventually. You are right about getting 2, would be good to have one dedicated to kimchi only, will take another two years for me to get there. So, you'll be making 5 liters of poblano hot sauce? Hope it comes out amazing!
How on earth did you get three heads of cabbage in a 1.3 gallon container?
If the cabbage is fresh and you shred it and put it in a bowl with the required amount of salt.
Then let it set for awhile it should make a ton of water.
After that it needs to be tamped down hard with a big dowel to crush up the cabbage and release water.
Any water you put in it should be at least two tablespoons per quart or even three.

Worth
Old March 10, 2018   #760
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If the cabbage is fresh and you shred it and put it in a bowl with the required amount of salt.
After that it needs to be tamped down hard with a big dowel to crush up the cabbage and release water.
Any water you put in it should be at least two tablespoons per quart or even three.

Worth
3 small heads , more will fit, I chopped them up yesterday night, and used my fist instead of a dowel to crush, added enough salt. There is brine but barely covering the stones. Maybe i just have to leave it and see if more brine comes up, but I found some rocks, washed them, and put them on top of the stones. Covered the lid, done, not looking for at least 3 days.
Old March 14, 2018   #761
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Worth
That's it 3 days have past, the kraut tastes ready to me, going to jar and move all to the fridge! Extra rocks did the job submerging all cabbage, supplementing my lousy crushing / stumping. What i love about this crock it keeps the smell inside. No one is complaining! (until I open it) And the stones! Now i want to use it all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3452.jpg (225.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1089.jpg (596.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3467.jpg (655.8 KB, 63 views)
Old March 14, 2018   #762
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

With all due respect 3 days isn't even close to being fermented or ready to eat.
You need to let it do its thing for at least 2 to 3 weeks 6 even better so it can make acid.

Worth
Old March 14, 2018   #763
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
With all due respect 3 days isn't even close to being fermented or ready to eat.
You need to let it do its thing for at least 2 to 3 weeks 6 even better so it can make acid.

Worth
Three days is my favorite readiness when it is warm enough in the kitchen, (my parents, friends that make their own kraut, and hubby's also), might leave up to five days if i don't find it ready, it continues to ferment in the fridge, a bit slower. I never leave it for 2-3 weeks, since i don't like it too sour. Have you tried 5 day old kraut? You should, you might even like it. I bought a jar of kraut at Trader Joe's once out of curiosity and could not eat that, had to throw it out. It was pure acid. I've been doing this for years, and figured out what works for me. I let kimchi ferment 10 days only because it was outside in the cold breezeway, inside it would be 3 days, 2 weeks for my lemons to cure, 3 days for half sour pickles, 10 days for beet kvass, 3-5 days for cabbage kraut. I do taste things and adjust time if needed.
Old March 14, 2018   #764
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Three days is my favorite readiness when it is warm enough in the kitchen, (my parents, friends that make their own kraut, and hubby's also), might leave up to five days if i don't find it ready, it continues to ferment in the fridge, a bit slower. I never leave it for 2-3 weeks, since i don't like it too sour. Have you tried 5 day old kraut? You should, you might even like it. I bought a jar of kraut at Trader Joe's once out of curiosity and could not eat that, had to throw it out. It was pure acid. I've been doing this for years, and figured out what works for me. I let kimchi ferment 10 days only because it was outside in the cold breezeway, inside it would be 3 days, 2 weeks for my lemons to cure, 3 days for half sour pickles, 10 days for beet kvass, 3-5 days for cabbage kraut. I do taste things and adjust time if needed.
Well then if you like it that is waht is most important by all means.
Germans that came from Germany I have met dont seems to think my two week old stuff isn't sour enough.

One thing for anyone else reading this is the stuff has to be fermented for at least two weeks in (my environment) for it to be safely water bath canned.
Or at least that is whet I think.
Worth
Old March 14, 2018   #765
clspie
Tomatovillian™

I like ferments that go 3 or 4 months or more.
Great Lakes Kraut Company video on youtube ferment their commercial
kraut for 5 to 6 months.
clspie is offline   Reply With Quote