Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 3, 2007   #1
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Default Pantano Romanesco & Market Wonder

Has anyone grown either Pantano Romanesco Or Market Wonder, two Italian varieties. Taste??, productivity??

LarryD
Old October 21, 2019   #2
shule1

I know this is super late, but as no one's replied, I figured I'd add my two cents.

I haven't grown Pantano Romanesco, yet, but I've read lots of reviews that make it sound like it ought to be extremely popular for taste, production, and other qualities.

I have grown a tomato labeled Market Wonder, from seeds obtained from wintersown.org in the fall of 2014. I grew a few plants in 2015, in not-ideal conditions. The seedlings grew quite large. It had a small amount of heat-tolerance. The fruits were firm, flattened, and blocky, with Brandywine-type taste qualities (but I'd rather eat it than a Brandywine type). They were bigger than salad-sized, but not by too much. I'm thinking it's maybe a 70-day tomato. I wouldn't describe it as mild in flavor (it was fairly potent). Another taster really seemed to like it. In the conditions I had it in, it wasn't super prolific, but I got fruit. I want to grow it again in better conditions, but I still haven't done it.

I had three plants. One was shaded and crowded in a raised bed. One was a cutting of that one, right next to it. The other was in a sunny area with soil that tomatoes struggled a lot in.

There are two varieties that Market Wonder could refer to. I'm not sure which one mine was/is.

Last edited by shule1; October 21, 2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old October 21, 2019   #3
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I gave away a couple of romanesco plants in May,mine were duds but the guy I gave them to wants to grow them again next year.
He runs an Italian restaurant so he must know good from bad.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2019   #4
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Well, I just had the Romenesco for dinner tonight. It's delicious. It is also beautiful. Small spiral cone shapes as opposed to the more bud like cauliflower.
I have a problem with all brassicas. So I don't grow them.

Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019   #5
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Old chef, there's the brassica vegetable Romanesco and the tomato variety called Romanesco. I think they're discussing tomatoes. That said, I do love the look & taste of the "geometric cauliflower"

PS- grew Dark Galaxy this year from your seeds. Excellent taste & gorgeous looks!

Last edited by Nan_PA_6b; October 22, 2019 at 10:35 AM.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Pantano Romanesco was a dud, here. But, the vast majority of red globes and red beefsteaks are duds in my garden.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019   #7
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I think it was too hot and rainy for them.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote