Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 6, 2015   #1
shule1

Default Orange Pear tomato

I've been on the lookout for an orange pear tomato that is the same shape, size and productivity as Yellow Pear and Red Pear (not plum-shaped, as some of the tomatoes called pear tomatoes are). I'm hoping for a tomato that is the same color of orange as Kellogg's Breakfast, Sweet Ozark Orange, Persimmon, etc.

Does anyone know of such a tomato? I'm very surprised I haven't found one. You'd think if you crossed Yellow Pear and Red Pear (two very common varieties) that in the F2 generation, if you grew out enough plants, you might get one this color. I think the color I'm looking for is described by a gene called Tangerine or something. Sweet Ozark Orange resulted from a cross of a red and a yellow.

If you're going to breed such a tomato, though, I don't recommend using Yellow Pear and Red Pear. Maybe use Honey Drop (the pear one; not the round cherry), and the best-tasting red pear tomato you can find, like maybe Austin's Red Pear. I wonder if brown or purple tomatoes would work in place of red (like Chocolate Pear or Evan's Purple Pear) to cross with a yellow and get an orange.

Last edited by shule1; December 6, 2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old December 6, 2015   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

You have not searched enough. There is an orange pear. It is not widely available..... Yet.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2015   #3
LDiane

I just took a look at my bowl of Red Cluster Pear tomatoes, and they are a blend of
red, orange and yellow, the same pattern as Isis Candy.
Old December 8, 2015   #4
shule1

@Fusion_power Cool. Can you tell me more about it?

@LDiane Ah, I hadn't heard of Red Cluster Pear. That's interesting. You mean it gets orange before it gets red, like Early Girl does (except it also gets yellow before it gets orange)?
Old December 8, 2015   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
I've been on the lookout for an orange pear tomato that is the same shape, size and productivity as Yellow Pear and Red Pear (not plum-shaped, as some of the tomatoes called pear tomatoes are). I'm hoping for a tomato that is the same color of orange as Kellogg's Breakfast, Sweet Ozark Orange, Persimmon, etc.

Does anyone know of such a tomato? I'm very surprised I haven't found one. You'd think if you crossed Yellow Pear and Red Pear (two very common varieties) that in the F2 generation, if you grew out enough plants, you might get one this color. I think the color I'm looking for is described by a gene called Tangerine or something. Sweet Ozark Orange resulted from a cross of a red and a yellow.

If you're going to breed such a tomato, though, I don't recommend using Yellow Pear and Red Pear. Maybe use Honey Drop (the pear one; not the round cherry), and the best-tasting red pear tomato you can find, like maybe Austin's Red Pear. I wonder if brown or purple tomatoes would work in place of red (like Chocolate Pear or Evan's Purple Pear) to cross with a yellow and get an orange.
What you are looking for is a necked pear shaped tomato with tangerine (t) gene flesh. This will not be achieve by crossing a yellow fleshed (rr) tomato x a red fleshed (RR) tomato.

Instead, you might use a tangerine fleshed (tt) grape, such as you may find in the supermarket grape packs, and cross it with Yellow Pear or Yellow Submarine, then begin your selections for shape and orange flesh in the F2 populations.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015   #6
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
What you are looking for is a necked pear shaped tomato with tangerine (t) gene flesh. This will not be achieve by crossing a yellow fleshed (rr) tomato x a red fleshed (RR) tomato.

Instead, you might use a tangerine fleshed (tt) grape, such as you may find in the supermarket grape packs, and cross it with Yellow Pear or Yellow Submarine, then begin your selections for shape and orange flesh in the F2 populations.

I'm sure this is all way above my pay grade, but how does one know if a tomato has the tangerine (tt) gene?

As one of the few, it seems, who like the little pear tomatoes, I think a very orange one would or could be interesting, too.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015   #7
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Orange Santa might fit the bill, but I haven't seen any around here.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015   #8
LDiane

I didn't pay attention to the colour of Red Cluster Pear until recently. I've been gradually eating them since I picked them all in early October, and maybe I've eaten all the really red ones.

However, one of the photos on Tatiana's site looks the same as what mine currently look like:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Red_Cluster_Pear

Seeds are available from Quebec: http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/TomatoesM-R.html

Last edited by LDiane; December 8, 2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old December 8, 2015   #9
shule1

@travis Interesting. So, it seems that Dr. Wyche's Yellow (one of the parents of Sweet Ozark Orange) must have the tangerine gene (and just not express it quite as much), whereas other yellows don't necessarily. It does look orange when very ripe, anyway. (Or else maybe Sweet Ozark Orange isn't as orange as quickly as I was envisioning.)

Last edited by shule1; December 8, 2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old December 8, 2015   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Some yellow tomatoes turn orange when they get very ripe, but others blush reddish on the bottom like a bi-color when they are the ripest. I wonder if that relates to whether or not the yellow tomato has the tangerine gene.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015   #11
shule1

Inspired by Fusion_power, I searched some more. I found a much closer match to what I'm looking for:

Japanese Trifele Yellow

The pictures actually look orange, and reviewers at Dave's Garden who seem to have grown it think it looks more orange than yellow: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/150514/#b

There's also Japanese Trifele Orange, but this is all I know about it: http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/J...Trifele_Orange

Last edited by shule1; December 8, 2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old December 8, 2015   #12
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Amishland Heirloom Seeds has a nice pic of Yellow Trifele.
It's a neat looking tomato, but it appears substantially larger than your typical yellow and red pear cherry types.

Here's the pic:

http://www.amishlandseeds.com/images/yellowtrifele.JPG
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015   #13
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I'm sure this is all way above my pay grade, but how does one know if a tomato has the tangerine (tt) gene?

As one of the few, it seems, who like the little pear tomatoes, I think a very orange one would or could be interesting, too.
The tangerine gene is the most common cause of orange color in tomatoes. A cross between such an orange tomato and a yellow (or red) tomato will produce a red F1 hybrid.

There is less-common dominant mutation that results in orange fruit. It is supposed to be present in: "Caro-rich", "Podorok Fei", "Jaune Flammée", "Caro-Red", "Big Orange", and "USDA 97L97". It is probably in a few others, but if your orange variety isn't in this list, you're probably dealing with the tangerine mutation.

Some more details of tomato color genetics: http://the-biologist-is-in.blogspot....-tomatoes.html
Old December 8, 2015   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Neat, Darren, thanks for that. I have Juane Flammee, and I have Taxi. I could make Orange Taxi.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #15
shule1

Aladdin's Lamp is another orange pear tomato (but it doesn't appear to have a neck, and it's a late tomato).

Tags
color , orange , pear tomatoes , tangerine , tomatoes