Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 18, 2018   #1
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

Default ok folks --- who already has tomatoes??

So I usually have 1 sungold or sunsugar that overwinters and I get tomatoes around this time. Last year though, my sunsugar didn't make it so no tomatoes for me. All I have right now is a week old seedling!! I don't expect tomatoes until mid-June.
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2018   #2
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

I planted 91 seeds on the 15th. Tonight I planted 22 more.

I will place them in the ground on June 1. The 22 I planted tonite are mostly dwarfs that will go in 5 gallon grow bags on June 1.

I hope for tomatoes by August 1.

I'm jealous of so many who have much longer growing seasons and earlier tomatoes but I have much less disease and pests to worry with so I enjoy that at least.

I didn't know anythang about nematodes until recently reading about them here. I usually get June through October 15th frost free with little to no diseases here in Nebraskastan.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2018   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamuMahubah View Post
I planted 91 seeds on the 15th. Tonight I planted 22 more.

I will place them in the ground on June 1. The 22 I planted tonite are mostly dwarfs that will go in 5 gallon grow bags on June 1.

I hope for tomatoes by August 1.

I'm jealous of so many who have much longer growing seasons and earlier tomatoes but I have much less disease and pests to worry with so I enjoy that at least.

I didn't know anythang about nematodes until recently reading about them here. I usually get June through October 15th frost free with little to no diseases here in Nebraskastan.
Yep. We only get a long season if we WORK at it.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2018   #4
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Yep. We only get a long season if we WORK at it.
Oh I suppose I know as I grew up in Florida. I remember it being easy except for pulling weeds. I was a kid though. I only got to see Mom every other weekend if that. It seemed like she kept a pretty much perpetual garden. I also suppose we got lucky as I never remember Mom talking about nematodes.

Last garden I remember I was approximately 12. Fast forward to buying my first house at age 32ish. My first garden completely my own at age 33.

Long time between gardens. Nostalgia goggles made me miss Florida but after reading about the problems you peeps have in the south I'm learning to enjoy what I have here.

I think it's better to be a kid and get paid for pulling weeds in milkshakes and GI Joe toys...
Old April 18, 2018   #5
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamuMahubah View Post
I think it's better to be a kid and get paid for pulling weeds in milkshakes and GI Joe toys...
I didn't get supper unless my chores were done...which included weeding. If I wanted to have a milkshake, I had to wiggle a cow udder in Grandpa's barn
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2018   #6
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

I have fruit set on Sibierski Skorypelli, Pink Berkeley Tie Dye and Pink Ping Pong. Should also have fruit set on Yellow Brandywine Platfoot, Riesentraub, Orange Russian 117 and German Johnson in the next 10 days.

Still 30-45 days away from tasting anything. This is the most difficult time of year being without real tomatoes since November.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2018   #7
ricman
Tomatovillian™

Early Doll and Big Beef.... I started these early and have been babying them along. I believe we may be done with the cold weather... fingers crossed

Cheers,
Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 444.JPG (149.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg photo 45.JPG (166.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg photo 54.JPG (150.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg photo 5.JPG (150.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg photo 333.JPG (150.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg photo 441.JPG (162.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg photo 222.JPG (202.4 KB, 87 views)
ricman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #8
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
I didn't get supper unless my chores were done...which included weeding. If I wanted to have a milkshake, I had to wiggle a cow udder in Grandpa's barn
Folks I have identified the braggadocio!

It was Mr Devil in the barn with the udder!?

Mr. Mahubah has let you all down by not recording his childhood growing up on a cattle ranch that doubled as a cash crop farm as pertaining to the market circa the mid eighties till the fabulous 00's.

Camu would have you know that he has built barbwire fence as long as any man's ego is wide.

Sadly it was always beans or mustard greens instead of tomatoes.

It was Camu's lovely mother who grew tomatoes forty miles away. He enjoyed what little time he got to spend in his mother's bountiful garden and citrus groves.

And yes he was spoiled there through delicious hamburger dinners with home grown Beefsteak tomato toppings. And yes...ice cream was served after these dinners. It is what mom's do when there son visits for a week or so in the Summer.

Halcyonic events of my youth will never be trounced apon by those who marched to school in the snow uphill both ways or whatever...

I'm still searching for that great tomato flavor of my younger days and seedlings have sprouted this year already. I wish you all the best luck and I hope to have a pomodor as soon as July 1st..ish.
Old April 19, 2018   #9
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default It won't be long for me

I live in zone 9 and my plants have been in the ground since the first week of March. I have room for just a few plants since I live in the burbs of Houston. I'll have ripe ones in a couple of weeks. Here's Cherokee Purple. Things are about to happen very quickly.

Donna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cherokee Purple.jpg (315.1 KB, 61 views)
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #10
49tandc
Tomatovillian™

I just picked the first cherry tomato this year from the greenhouse. SWMBO said it was delicious. Set 21 seedlings in dutch buckets on Mar 1st. Plants now about 4-5 ft tall and covered with little toms & flowers.

49T&C
49tandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #11
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Green ones, but nothing red here. My buddy who lives in Jacksonville, FL told me on Tuesday that he's picked a few cherry tomatoes. Not sure what variety, just some patio tomatoes in a small pot. I was still jealous though.
Old April 19, 2018   #12
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Just fruit set for me here, small green balls, can't wait.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote