Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old November 26, 2017   #76
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I use the flower and vegetable one, NPK numbers are all the same, 14 I think. The Plus in the pink package has minors mixed in, but the N is too high. You will want to supplement with a light fertilizer with some minors, especially magnesium, but not until fruit appear.

Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017   #77
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Thanks ...I have just found calmag at a local Garden Centre ..I am sure I asked and was told they never had it.....so now I can get Calmag ?? I wonder what I should do with YaraMila Complex.....maybe somebody can offer an opinion based on the nutrient list....Thanks Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017   #78
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

What's your soil pH?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #79
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I see why you were so tired after your trip. With your medical history, be sure to take a snack to have along the way. Check you sugar when you get home, BEFORE taking you will deserved nap.

I would transplant those plants into your large drums right away. Forego the cold treatment and get them out into the direct sunlight. I would plant them at least to the first true leaves. I do not remove any of the leaves because I have damaged stems doing that. I just plant them deeper and the leaves will decompose on their own without damage to the plant. There is no right or wrong way. I would add more mycos at planting time by applying them to the root mass. Your MG has plenty of nitrogen. If I were to add anything else it would be potassium or potash. I would feed your plants every 7 to 10 days with the MG for two feedings and then I would give them Calmag with Epsom salts on the third feeding. Go back to MG for two cycles and them Calmag/Epsom again.

So bypass the cold treatment with your first group and for this new batch go ahead and give it (the cold treatment) a try IF you think that you can also get the lights down on them.
Patti....Calmag as its known here is entirely different to CalMag in the USA ...I have spent days on contacting farm fertiliser companies and when I thought I was successful..."YES they had CalMag " but when i enquired re a percentage I was told it has no Calcium....I knew then I was wasting my time BUT I have found this....
https://www.pggwrightsonturf.co.nz/o...lucal-products

This has given me new hope...as here is a variety of products that appear to me as being Calcium/Magesium based and I just need your expertise to pick the appropriate one out if its there and I can carry on with my growing....
Meantime I rang a Hydroponic shop in Christchurch ( the same shop that supplies the local garden centre that gave me the CX Hydroponics Sample Pack ) and they have a liquid genuine CalMag in a Litre bottle for just over $20 which is in my price range so I have contacted the garden centre who hopefully can get a bottle down in their next order or as soon as possible...

REgards Ron
Old November 28, 2017   #80
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The calcium is in the product, because it aids the uptake of magnesium, at least in some forms, I think. The magnesium products without calcium may be a slightly different type of magnesium. I don't know for sure; that's just a guess. That's usually why calcium is in any particular fertilizer. I doesn't really get absorbed by the plant itself, like other nutrients, or at least the manner in which it does is complex and enigmatic. For example, blossom end rot is displayed as a calcium deficiency, but giving the plant calcium doesn't solve the problem, because the uptake of the nutrient is very difficult.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #81
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
What's your soil pH?
Hi..I have finally been able to take readings...not everyone but the drums are looking good @ 6.5 .....the plastic buckets are down to 6.0 and I see that a couple of small pots that I put another soil mix in is showing 5.5 ....
Question is what now.... I have some Hydro Lime in a small bottle I have Dolomite lime ...crushed oyster shell etc....What do I use to bring up from 5.5 to 6.5.....The good thing here is that my big barrels of soil containers that I am taking the soil from for my drums are 6,5....The 8 Plastic pots have my Tasty Toms grown from seed and they are down to 6 and the cutting pots that I used just yesterday have a bitza mix and they are 5.5 ... so I need to do something there especially as they are small rooted cuttings ....
Once Patti can give me an opinion on the Pro - Cal and as long as I can then acquire it plus a litre of calMag from the Hydroponic shop i should have most bases covered and can relax and enjoy seeing the plants growing more...
the Heat wave is getting worse here with 23 and 26 forecast for the next two days... I require about another 20 drums and I wonder if I can get that many ...I figure I might get a max 45 in my greenhouse??...cheers Ron
Old November 28, 2017   #82
MissS
Tomatovillian™

SOLU-CAL Mag. However, all it is is dolomite lime with magnesium added. It will buffer your ph if the soil is acid. Perhaps it would be easier for you to buy some TUMS at the drug counter. This is to help the stomach with heartburn (it contains calcium) and also buy a dietary magnesium supplement. You can also find food supplements that have calcium/magnesium or calcium, magnesium, zinc. You might want to consider using the K-CAL PLUS if you continue using your MG because it is high in potassium.

Your fertilizer looks okay, but a bit high in sulpher so watch your ph.

Last edited by MissS; November 28, 2017 at 11:30 PM.
MissS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017   #83
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti...Ok..Plenty of top info there...I actually have real problems at the moment with a heartburn complaint so I could get a calcium/magnesian supplement on prescription?? and give it to the tomatoes....I do not know if we have TUMS here...

So I will buy a bag of the fertilizer that a company recommended plus Calmag from the Hydroponics shop is ordered and will arrive with the garden centres next order...so I will soon have everything I need....Probably too much so I will have to be careful with it all ...The greenhouse is so hot ...fans are going 24 hours but I presume I just give them water between the 7 - 10 day period when they get no fertiliser ,,Its going to be hotter tomorrow and even hotter the day after...by the forecast...

Some of my TTom seeds are actually turning into plants ??

REgards Ron..
Old November 29, 2017   #84
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Question is what now.... I have some Hydro Lime in a small bottle I have Dolomite lime ...crushed oyster shell etc....What do I use to bring up from 5.5 to 6.5.....
Don't mess with it. 5.5 - even 5.0 - is fine.

The reason for my question is that pH over 7.5 or so Mg uptake becomes problematic. So that's not your problem. Honestly, I'd wait until the plants start to show some evidence that they need a nutrient before dumping it on them "just in case".

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

Last edited by dmforcier; November 29, 2017 at 01:28 AM.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017   #85
MissS
Tomatovillian™

The calcium/magnesium tablets here are found along with vitamin supplements. No prescription required.
The TUMS is made with Calcium Carbonate USP 1000mg. This also does not require a prescription here in the USA, but is found on the shelves next to products that relieve stomach upset.
Old November 29, 2017   #86
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Calcium nitrate is what you will find in Calmag. Perhaps if you refer to it as Calcium nitrate with magnesium added you will have better luck finding it there.
Old November 29, 2017   #87
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..I have the bag of villamila and have just spoken to the lady at the company's office who uses it on her plants...She said about 1/4 cup every 3 months sprinkled on the outer soil within the drum and fork it in and then water....so it must be pretty powerful stuff ....I have to be careful I do not over fertilize .....I presume I can give my drums 1/4 of a cup each and water it in today...and then forget about it for the season (nearly)...I could not get the K Cal Plus ...They did not know what it was yet its advertised on their website????
Regards ron

Last edited by murihikukid; November 29, 2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old November 29, 2017   #88
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..Just received printed instructions for villa milla complex.......I am pretty sure 1/4 of a cup will not hurt the plants I gave 2 litres water + 1 tablespoon of Epsom Salts too but I wonder about the 1 litre each of 1ml Head Masta and 1ml Growth Enhancer I used on two plants ...Regards Ron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20171130170111626.pdf (231.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; November 29, 2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old November 30, 2017   #89
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron your plants are still quite small and only need just a little food. Feeding too much is not a good thing. I always opt for less is more. If the plants begin to show signs of lack of anything, it is only then that I increase the dosage. For now I would use these products at 1/2 the recommended rate. Your plants roots are hardly filling their containers yet and their roots are only traveling a short ways from the main stem. If you keep feeding them at the suggested rate the soil on the outside will contain so many nutrients that it will burn the roots once the little roots reach them. Once you have mature plants, it is then that you feed them the recommended amount.

Hydroponic nutrients are very concentrated and you must be VERY careful with them when using them in a soil type situation. No more than once every 10 days and use them at 1/2 the suggested rate of application.
Old November 30, 2017   #90
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..Yes...I fully agree with your concern ...I have just checked the 4 drums I did last night with Yara Mila complex and I am hoping its not my imagination but they look as though they have "Bloomed" overnight ...I will take some photos and post them ...I will be doing the rest of the drums today........I am expecting cotton rope samples today to arrive for wicking and especially with the weather we are having I should be a lot happier with them feeding water than the polypropaline I am presently using..I am convinced the method of watering from a reservoir above is the best method as they are fed clean fresh water ..Looking back I realise I made a terrible decision feeding water upwards from a tray below which basicly turned into a disease trap.....
I am writing on the top of the drums exactly what they get and the date as I do it.....I will do a ph test on the 4 drums and continue doing the rest of the drums with Yara Mila today .....I made a decision to buy mature plants from a different garden centre than last year ...I do not want to be messed around by false promises as I have faced ....I have actually seen the plants at the growers that they are growing with me in mind as a buyer and they are looking extremely good ...a lot better than their younger ones ...which they are basicly giving away .....I could not believe what they looked like when i was there a few days ago ...With so many years in the business I wonder how they got in the state they are.....they are apparantly replentishing all their stock as its still early in the buying season here..
I still have about 15 drums to get and hopefully where I get them from will have them soon ..They all require to be washed and disinfected which is quite a big job...Of course bringing them home on my bike and trailor is also not easy ...I am also getting some slightly larger drums due to supply ...I have not checked yet but these I think will take well over 3 litres inside the plastic ring at their top
As usual I get carried away with Tasty Tom cuttings being developed so will give them away.....My one Indian Stripe I have thankfully is looking great ....
So everything should be good next season if i am around...I will be 8 weeks earlier with my seedlings ..I will hopefully have a working growth chamber and sturdier plants plus my own seeds and a far better knowledge on soil ferilisation...Who knows I might even be able to plan a couple of late Tasty Toms and bring them inside over winter for my tomato sandwiches..
Regards Ron...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Ethiopean_2017-12-01_103406.jpg (130.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg INDIAN STRIPE_2017-12-01_103031.jpg (165.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg LEBANON_2017-12-01_103217.jpg (175.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Missouri Love Apple_2017-12-01_102840.jpg (189.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Monte Carlo_2017-12-01_102318.jpg (173.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Myras Delight_2017-12-01_102600.jpg (167.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Purple Cherry_2017-12-01_103627.jpg (161.7 KB, 27 views)