Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 10, 2009   #16
WH_Conley
Tomatovillian™

Gee Zopi, for some reason, I figure the 30-30 does more than the rest. By the way, don't pee where you don't want tore up when they are rutting.
WH_Conley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2009   #17
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Peeing don't always work either :-( I planted many of my extra seedlings in an unfenced area to let the deer get at....to act as a trap crop so they wouldn't feel the need to jump the fence into the garden. I regularly ~applied~ urine on a few specific plants, and at first the deer were content to only nibble the urine free plants in between these until "The Night of the Hooved Locusts". That night they ate half of everything including plants that had been wetted just before dark.

These are deer that live their whole lives surrounded by human scent, so once they get used to something new and different they pretty much ignor it. They should have a natural aversion to bodily waste (ever notice the ungrazed dark green patches in pastures where cow pies have decomposed?), but then again I've heard stories of baiting deer to urine stations, which they are attracted to by the salt accumulation.

I've been saving the Habanero spray for the main garden in case they learn to jump higher (they will jump just the livestock fence, but not with two strands of white closeline over top [to 7 ft]) but I may start testing the spray on the remains of the test plants. There are several Bambi's running around now. Maybe I can give them a life lesson that tomatoes are to be avoided.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote