Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 12, 2009   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Ode to Cherokee Purple

This variety is often mentioned as a favorite of many and is definitely one of the best tasting tomatoes I have grown to date. I have a few friends that grow tomatoes, usually the boy/girl/celebrity/hybrids that are offered at the local nurseries. Over the past couple of years I have introduced OP varieties to them either by plant or fruit, mostly fruit. Then I have friends or acquaintences, etc. that love tomatoes but dont grow them and have also introduced them to the wonderful OP varieties. The one variety that gets me the most feedback period is Cherokee Purple.I ran into an old racing buddy tonight that I had given several plants and fruit to, and the one he saved seed for and is growing this spring is Cherokee Purple. And several others mention the variety by name when we talk about tomatoes, because they loved it.

The variety is obviously a great tasting tomato, but the color and name seem to intrigue people as well. And while it isnt always that productive, some continue to grow it anyways because of claimed taste, including me.
It tastes great, it is different in color, and has a cool name. Is it really that great of a tomato, or is it just me and a few other folks that think so?
Old April 12, 2009   #2
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

When I first grew it (on recommendations from many who are now here on Tomatoville), I was really skeptical. It and Earl's Faux are by far my favorite tasting tomato and if I grow a plant and just get a few...worth it I also introduced it to a few friends. One thought I was making her taste a rotten tomato from the looks of it. I told her to have faith. Now, she and all her extended family plant nothing but. I don't go that far, I want a little variety since CP doesn't hold very long on the counter. It's not just you, it really is a great tomato for those that appreciate taste.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009   #3
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I love the rotten tomato comment as I have had several people start to pass on the CP's because of their color based on what they are used to. Their thoughts quickly changed once they tasted the variety. I now have people ask me if I am going to grow anymore Cherokee Purples.
Green Giant took it to a different level last year as far as looks and perception. People were so skeptical because of the GWR color, but most loved it once they got past that.
It by the way is as good as any tomato I have tasted and is as close as any to CP that I have tasted. Not that they are similar in taste by any means. Both are just darn good!
Old April 12, 2009   #4
beck3465
Tomatovillian™

Default GWR

How do you you know when a gwr is ripe? Never grown this kind before so excuse my ignorance.
Becky
beck3465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009   #5
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I pick GWR's by feel. If it feels ripe, then it's ripe.
I am embarassed to say I've never grown Cherokee Purple. I probably need to do that like this year
Old April 12, 2009   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Barbee,

Or at least go to CHOPTAG and taste one...

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009   #7
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Feldon,
I keep thinking surely I tasted it at last year's tasting? There must have been 200 different varieties of tomatoes there and I tasted pretty close to every variety.
For whatever reason, it didn't wow me enough to write it down as a must grow this year. Weird, as I know everyone seems to love it and I am a major fan of the blacks and really strong tasting tomatoes.
I will be going to the plant swap next month. I bet someone will have it there and if so, I'm going to bite the bullet and try it.
Old April 12, 2009   #8
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I have to say, NOTHING tastes better on a BLT then CP. IMHO

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009   #9
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

There can be differences from year to year, soil to soil, and climate to climate.

Cherokee Purple was my first heirloom tomato I tasted and instantly fell in love. I have grown it here the last 2 years and never had flavor problems.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009   #10
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Purple was the tomato that started my 9 yr old daughter eating BLT's...She didn't even need the bacon if she was in a hurry...
Most people I have given CP seedlings to, request them again....Followed by Tasmanian Blushing Yellow, Speckled Roman, Dina , and St Pierre...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009   #11
AZRuss
Tomatovillian™

It really is that great a tomato, duajones. It is, without question, my favorite tomato. I wish I could grow it successfully here in the desert. Fortunately, Safeway here imports them from CA in the late summer, and I get to have my fix. It's not cheap, but worth every single bite and drop of juice. Just the best!
AZRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009   #12
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

I have a CP plant growing in my garden right now. I will be excited if I get a few maters from it!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009   #13
gallaure
Tomatovillian™

I have not yet grown CP, but after hearing all the love letters, I might have to add it to the 2010 list.

I'm growing a bunch of new (to me) varieties, and am only repeating 1 from last year. Even the varieties I planted for 2008, I was surprised at the reaction when I took them to work. The kid coworkers I have would just rub 'em off and bite in - their expressions were priceless! Everyone always asks the same question: how do you get them to taste like this???

Looks like CP might have to go in the queue...
gallaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2009   #14
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Love C.P. I have gotten the "Is it diseased" question before. One of my aunts refused to taste it. Her loss. As if I would give her something awful. Oh well.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2009   #15
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

The highest recommendation I can give CP is this.

My wife loves it.

Me, too, Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote