Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 12, 2009   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ozark, the Aztecs had already about 200 different varieties

Clara, I've done a huge amount of reading on the history of the tomato, if you will, and have never seen a reference to the Aztecs having 200 different varieties.

All my various sources say that no one knows HOW or WHEN the tomato species that became our garden tomato went from the highlands of Chile and Peru where all the species still reside and made their way to Mexico, where they grown.

Yes, the Aztecs were known to grow them and the Aztec word for them is very close to our current word for tomato, but 200 different varieties?
Old July 12, 2009   #17
clara
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, when I have more time, I'll try to find the source that says that the Aztecs had already 200 varieties (I've noted this in my records without mentioning the source - rats!), but considering that Aztecs and Incas grew tomatoes already in the 2nd century B.C.E. (and this is proved by grave-finds), I think it's not impossible that they finally had 200 varieties when Columbus and the Spanish conquerors arrived. clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote