Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 30, 2018   #2401
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well we did get our hot weather right to the end of August, after all, but for a couple of days. Thundershowers tonight, which is okay, we have had scanty rain every few days and a lot of humid weather instead of a wetting.
Not so long ago we may have two hot days in July like that - 25 C and/or humidex up into 30 C. Then wow, what a year we had a whole week of hot weather! Couple years later, two whole weeks! Now this year we're up to two whole months of it, pretty much.

I was reading that the next five years are expected to be hotter, because we've been in a natural cooling phase of the cycle. Now we're going into the warm years, apparently. After that... yep, probably hotter.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2018   #2402
imp
Tomatovillian™

102F again, and dry, dry, dry. Supposedly a drier winter this year, too. Not so great, maybe having another drought soon.
Old August 31, 2018   #2403
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Bower, you're finally getting some 'mater growing weather up there!
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2018   #2404
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Nan! For outdoors instead of under glass. And whoopsadaisy to the snow in June.
Old September 15, 2018   #2405
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thinking of all the folks in the Carolinas, this hurricane season is making it's mark in your area and I do hope all our gardening friends are safe, no matter what your gardens look like.

We had our first rain in a long while on Wednesday past, when the remnants of Gordon arrived with thunder and fanfare. 60 mm rain in a short time but there was no sign of flooding other than a few city streets sheeted over with water. Since then we have barely seen the sun shine for a few minutes (yes it was sunny for an hour or so today after 3 pm). It has been foggy and drizzly and pretty cool compared to the previous but certainly closer to normal. Only three days, I had to check because it felt like a week and a half!
Looks like we will be having the overland remnants of Florence as well by the middle of next week. I'm almost surprised that these systems are still making their way north instead of dissipating over the continent, but there you are. Remnants of hurricanes are what I consider normal for autumn here and they are not unkind to us in that form, vs the ravages of landfalls. Thinking of all our friends in the Carolinas, may all be well with you if a little wet (no avoiding that!)
Attached Images
File Type: png florence-remnants.png (402.3 KB, 89 views)
Old September 15, 2018   #2406
imp
Tomatovillian™

Hoping all in the path of Flo survive and their properties as well. It is very bad and dangerous.
Old September 20, 2018   #2407
imp
Tomatovillian™

Some possibly fierce weather is moving in, nothing as bad as hurricanes, but there may be some flooding here. First no water and relentless heat, now maybe too much! Nature has a sense of humour it seems. I was standing in the back yard and the wind got up, making the big trees sway a LOT, then it occurred to me, "Dummy, maybe it's not such a good idea to stand right here near the trees!"!!!
Old September 21, 2018   #2408
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

lotta rain, and wind the past couple days. ripening tomatoes are splitting on account of the rain. low temps are dropping into the 40s. some in land areas could get frost. trees are starting to change color. we started a fire in the wood stove to take some of the chill and damp out of the house. summer is over here.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2018   #2409
bower
Tomatovillian™

Same here Keith, although it was nice and sunny today for a change. Our day temps have been in the 40's instead of the 60's, cold, glum, foggy or drizzly, and frost warnings for several nights. Definitely feeling over and the heating season has begun.

The remains of Florence haven't gotten here yet, but tomorrow is the day, with southerly winds and rain for a change, temperature should go up to 'normal'.
Meanwhile the flooding is not over in NC and SC, according to the news today. Hope all our gardening friends are well and safe.
Old September 21, 2018   #2410
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Haha! We set a new record today. 87 degrees in Buffalo, NY! Had a [reported] passing thunderstorm that musta missed my house around 3-4PM. Tornado watches in the Southern Tier around dinnertime. Weekend High's in the 60's, then back into the 70's next week! It's 75F now at 10PM...
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #2411
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

In the 80's yesterday and in the 60's today. How does it know this is the first day of fall???
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #2412
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

7.96 inches of rain at DFW Airport yesterday. It's the wettest month of September on record here. I don't know exactly how much it rained at our house because it overflowed the rain gauge.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #2413
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Haha! We set a new record today. 87 degrees in Buffalo, NY! Had a [reported] passing thunderstorm that musta missed my house around 3-4PM. Tornado watches in the Southern Tier around dinnertime. Weekend High's in the 60's, then back into the 70's next week! It's 75F now at 10PM...
Same record breaking temperatures in Southern Ontario for Sep 21. New record at 86.9 F breaking the record from 1965 of 84.0 F.
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #2414
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPawlick View Post
Same record breaking temperatures in Southern Ontario for Sep 21. New record at 86.9 F breaking the record from 1965 of 84.0 F.
Wow! A Canadian that speaks Fahrenheit! That's more rare than hen's teeth! You must be converting! Where in Southern ON are you? Our low tonight will be 47F but SUN thru WED will be 70-72F for the highs, lows in the 50's & 60's.

Our old record was 86F in 1934.

I need another month of good weather, I have lots of plants that got in late... I have something I've been working on that has over 51 almost-tennis-ball-sized fruit on that aren't ripening fast enough!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #2415
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Wow! A Canadian that speaks Fahrenheit! That's more rare than hen's teeth! You must be converting! Where in Southern ON are you? Our low tonight will be 47F but SUN thru WED will be 70-72F for the highs, lows in the 50's & 60's.

Our old record was 86F in 1934.

I need another month of good weather, I have lots of plants that got in late... I have something I've been working on that has over 51 almost-tennis-ball-sized fruit on that aren't ripening fast enough!
I hope you get your warm weather. You may have to top or at least pick off new blossoms so that your fruit will ripen.

Environment Canada is calling between 64 - 68 for Sunday through Thursday here and low's between 48 - 61. But really for this area (Hamilton area north of Erie on Lake Ontario), I find that the forecast is usually only good a day or two out.

I toggle the settings from Celsius to Fahrenheit so it makes more sense for everyone.
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote