Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 16, 2021   #1
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Default soil disease or other?

Hi, tomatoes in ground since late April, majority exhibiting stunted growth, and now beginning to die off; this is my second year with tomatoes and all the diseases and problems look the same to me, sorry! Soil analysis completed before planting in March/April said clay dirt was very low on nitrogen and iron, and suggested I mix in a combination of compost, feather and blood meals. A few plants exhibited excess nitrogen (I think feathermeal causes this, based on my container experience last year, a long story), while most were stunted and now are showing signs of disease in the lower leaves. Coastal southern california. They began showing such signs about two weeks after planting, but I thought it was simply due to the constant overcast weather in May and early June.

Ones pictures were grown from seed, although even the few hybrids purchased from nursery are exhibiting similar characteristics (big beef, champion, early girl). The Black Cherry pictured seems to have a different issue from the rest, however. Two plants have died (japanese black trieffle and an opalka), and several look like they are on the way out. I pulled the two out and the roots looked okay.

Are these plants salvageable, or should we scrape this and move on? Would appreciate some feedback if you have some time, thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marianna's peace.jpg (166.7 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg black cherry.jpg (161.1 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg super san marzano closeup.jpg (172.0 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg super san marzano.jpg (185.2 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg eva purple ball.jpg (200.9 KB, 329 views)
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote