Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 28, 2010   #1
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Default Not having a great year - WI

Boy some of my toms are looking pretty sad pretty early this year. It must be the tropical conditions here in WI this growing season! Last year at this time everything was huge and lush green with vegetation. It has been very damp and humid here. The dreaded spots and wilting of the leaves from the bottom up! First toms are just starting to ripen. Hopefully I will still get a good crop but it is hard to see the foliage die this early on. Some varieties are getting hit harder than others so I will have to take good notes for the future.

Last edited by Granite26; July 28, 2010 at 04:01 PM.
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2010   #2
elmtree3
Tomatovillian™

Wow! That looks nasty. With the torrential downpours here in Wis. our garden is starting to look similar. It's pretty early in the year for the shape our tomatoes are in. The last rainstorm put a small rapids in one of my gardens. Pretty sad.
elmtree3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2010   #3
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

I feel your pain, most of mine are doing well but a couple of my plants are really becoming stalks instead of bushes; and lots of spoty leaves.

Hopefully we'll have a few dry weeks coming up.

Danwigz
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2010   #4
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

My solitary Mortage Lifter is looking rather anemic like that: spindly, not vigorous at all.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2010   #5
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

i haven't had a chance to really inspect most of my field yet. Too busy and too wet to get into some of it.

We didn't get nearly what the Milwaukee area got last week, but still more than we needed all at 1 time.

So far my problem has been trying to get a handle on the weeds while my cultivator tractor doesn't want to run. Ugly. That and while there are lots of fruit, not much at all wants to ripen yet. And the crows have been in there pecking holes in a lot of the fruit.

It's always something.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2010   #6
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I feel everyones pain in Wisconsin, because here in Iowa we are getting pommeled as well. We have had triple the rains this month already and more storms coming tonight and tomorrow. My garden has been one big weed patch, then after weeding one big mud patch.

I wish everyone the best and pray for a dry couple of weeks for us all.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote