Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 12, 2011   #16
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrops27 View Post
Mike in Ohio Is the Siberian Pink Honey tomato, very sweet?I like sweet.
I would describe it as more citrus-like than sweet.
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2011   #17
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I don't know what a lot of these taste like, but I like this webpage because it gives me perspective on relative sizes of fruits compared to others. While varieties are probably happier in some regions/areas than others, I like seeing what x size is compared to y size grown in the same area. I've never grown giant tomatoes, but next year I'd like to get a bragger or two so my neighbors stop poking fun at me

http://gianttomatoseeds.com/tomato_seeds.html
Old December 13, 2011   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
I don't know what a lot of these taste like, but I like this webpage because it gives me perspective on relative sizes of fruits compared to others. While varieties are probably happier in some regions/areas than others, I like seeing what x size is compared to y size grown in the same area. I've never grown giant tomatoes, but next year I'd like to get a bragger or two so my neighbors stop poking fun at me

http://gianttomatoseeds.com/tomato_seeds.html
What I see are weights of various varieties grown in a specifc year in a specific place, which may not have any bearing at all for folks growing in other areas, having different soils and all the other variables involved.

When you click to DT for instructions you'll find that the person selling these seeds posts here at Tville and put up some data I think in the Member Forum.

Just look for the word Delectation, and you'll find it and what was said there about the various Bic Zac selections and also read there where lubadub, Marv Meisner, who wrote a book about growing big tomatoes, posted as well.

Just my opinion, but if you take some of the suggestions already given in this thread and grow plants for several of them in the same season, I think that's the best way to determine how big they get for you and how good the yield and taste are as grown by you where you live using the way you grow tomatoes, what your soil is like, which amendments you use and how much and the weather in any one season, etc.

Just a gentle suggestion.
Old December 13, 2011   #19
SEAMSFASTER
Tomatovillian™

Regrettably, my website is not really ready for "going public", but it is set up for taking orders, mostly in a round-about way, if people have an interest in the varieties listed.

I envision more than 400 web pages with pics, detailed descriptions, multiple photos, videos, essays, etc. - much more than just selling tomato seeds. This will take some time, especially since it's my first attempt at website design. Lots of late nights of late...

Anyway, the ABOUT page might be of interest, particularly the Credits section at the bottom:

http://gianttomatoseeds.com/about.html

Clearly from the list of varieties, my interest is not limited to big tomatoes (I only pruned and thinned 3 of 420 tomato plants to produce GIANT tomatoes in 2011), but that's what's motivational and fun to me.

If I had a choice of picking and processing one Da Costa's Portuguese (or Virginia Sweets, Belmonte, Richardson, etc.) or 1,000 itty bitty Sara's Galapagos', I would pick the big, delicious heirloom every time (well, almost every time - I LOVE Sara's Galapagos, I just go bonkers trying to harvest them ).

I'm just thrilled and grateful that there are so many sizes, shapes, colors and flavors to try - thanks to so many dedicated growers over the generations!

Best of luck, nangisha, in growing some BIG ones in 2012 - or little ones or anything in between!
SEAMSFASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2011   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAMSFASTER View Post
Regrettably, my website is not really ready for "going public", but it is set up for taking orders, mostly in a round-about way, if people have an interest in the varieties listed.

I envision more than 400 web pages with pics, detailed descriptions, multiple photos, videos, essays, etc. - much more than just selling tomato seeds. This will take some time, especially since it's my first attempt at website design. Lots of late nights of late...

Anyway, the ABOUT page might be of interest, particularly the Credits section at the bottom:

http://gianttomatoseeds.com/about.html

Clearly from the list of varieties, my interest is not limited to big tomatoes (I only pruned and thinned 3 of 420 tomato plants to produce GIANT tomatoes in 2011), but that's what's motivational and fun to me.

If I had a choice of picking and processing one Da Costa's Portuguese (or Virginia Sweets, Belmonte, Richardson, etc.) or 1,000 itty bitty Sara's Galapagos', I would pick the big, delicious heirloom every time (well, almost every time - I LOVE Sara's Galapagos, I just go bonkers trying to harvest them ).

I'm just thrilled and grateful that there are so many sizes, shapes, colors and flavors to try - thanks to so many dedicated growers over the generations!

Best of luck, nangisha, in growing some BIG ones in 2012 - or little ones or anything in between!
Thanks so much for clariifying the stiuation with your new company by posting the About page.

As for your Credits section, you might want to note that my book, unknown by me beforehand, went out of print this past Spring. However, if anyone goes to the sticky in this Forum where there's a thread about my book you'll see that the prices now range for what they should be to upwards of several hundreds of dollars at different sites.

As for me, I still have four unused copies here at home and am witing until the price gets up to maybe, oh $1,000/book, and the I'll consider selling.
Old December 14, 2011   #21
SEAMSFASTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Thanks so much for clariifying the stiuation with your new company by posting the About page.

As for your Credits section, you might want to note that my book, unknown by me beforehand, went out of print this past Spring. However, if anyone goes to the sticky in this Forum where there's a thread about my book you'll see that the prices now range for what they should be to upwards of several hundreds of dollars at different sites.

As for me, I still have four unused copies here at home and am witing until the price gets up to maybe, oh $1,000/book, and the I'll consider selling.
I am sorry to hear the book is out of print. Perhaps there will be reprints in the future, or even a second edition? I'm not about to sell my copy!

I have updated the ABOUT page with a link to the thread you mentioned.
Old December 14, 2011   #22
sicily
Tomatovillian™

My largest were Gildo Pietroboni.
sicily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2011   #23
lurley
Tomatovillian™

My almost three pound Rebecca Sebatians Bulls Bag came from either seamsfaster's site or from blueribbontomatoes, not sure which as I planted seeds from both sources.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2011   #24
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

I had some pretty large ones with Earl's Faux,Stump of the World, And Cowlicks Brandywine.Average was 1-3 pounds. Keep in mind to get these monster maters a nice amount of organic mater will help.Do you have a compost bin started?

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2011   #25
SEAMSFASTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurley View Post
My almost three pound Rebecca Sebatians Bulls Bag came from either seamsfaster's site or from blueribbontomatoes, not sure which as I planted seeds from both sources.
Lurley,

You were my first customer! The seeds I sent came from a 2.200 lb. RSBB I grew in 2010, which in turn came from seeds I received from kygreg (thanks again!). Perhaps he will chime in and give us more background. I really like this variety for flavor and attractive, heart-shaped fruits. The occasional BIG one is fun to get as well!

Send documentation by PM and I'll be glad to update the BIG Tomato List!
Old December 14, 2011   #26
lurley
Tomatovillian™

It won the big tomato contest over at idig, I believe only because a few other folks held theirs back though, chivalry and all I think. next year the contest will be all out from everyone though and hosted on a different site so "game on"so to speak B-)

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2011   #27
travis
Tomatovillian™

For those who send tomato seeds to overseas friends where postal clerks have sticky fingers or customs agents are particularly persnickety, let me suggest something that works for me: Put just a few seeds under clear tape on a normal sized greeting card and post the greeting card during a season when greeting cards are expected to be posted. Make sure the seeds lay flat under the tape so there's no lumps of bumps.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2011   #28
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

travis, we used to have a more conspiratorial way to hide seeds under a sticked postal stamps on an envelope here in USSR times when somebody wants to send or to get seeds to/from abroad in 1960s-1980s

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2011   #29
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterJon View Post
hmmm We need to make soap or candles, with seed packets embedded in the center for you nangisha, so the post office will say..oh it's just a candle.
I think its will made them more curious why buying candle from abroad and paying big shipping cost for it, when I can find it here. They will find it fishy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
travis, we used to have a more conspiratorial way to hide seeds under a sticked postal stamps on an envelope here in USSR times when somebody wants to send or to get seeds to/from abroad in 1960s-1980s
Thats was smart one who will think any one put something under stamp, but the seed must very limited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
For those who send tomato seeds to overseas friends where postal clerks have sticky fingers or customs agents are particularly persnickety, let me suggest something that works for me: Put just a few seeds under clear tape on a normal sized greeting card and post the greeting card during a season when greeting cards are expected to be posted. Make sure the seeds lay flat under the tape so there's no lumps of bumps.
Good one they won't suspicious if like that's...
I am just wonder why I earlier shipment can pass the custom but the later on not pass a single one, even they send it as regular letter.
nangisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2011   #30
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOhio View Post
I've been growing for 40 years and have never seen a larger tomato that the Siberian Pink Honey. I grew 22 varieties last year and nothing came close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrops27 View Post
Mike in Ohio Is the Siberian Pink Honey tomato, very sweet?I like sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Mike, you are right - Rozovyi Myod ("Pink Honey" is an English translation of this Russian variety from Siberia) usually can get you a very huge fruit even in a cold climate.

There are many other Siberian tomatoes with very big fruit (up to 1 kg on first several trusses): Bezrazmernyi (="Dimensionless" in English, red), Vashe Blagorodie ("Your Honor", pink), Babushkin Secret ("Granny's Secret", pink), Vechnyi Zov ("Perpetual Call", red), Lyubimyi Prazdnik ("Favorite Holiday, pink), Gordost Sibiri ("Pride of Siberia", red), Korol Gigantov ("The King of Giants", red), Korol Sibiri ("The King of Siberia, yellow heart-shaped type), Korol Koroley ("The King of Kings", red - I'm still in search of seeds of it in Russia) and some others.

Plus I'm adding my Orange Minsk to this "king size list"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Plus I'm adding my Orange Minsk to this "king size list"

And why not Andrey for I think it's one of the best tasting/growing varieties that you've ever found and lots of folks love it as I do.

I don't grow varieties just for large fruit size, but yes, I do think that Orange Minsk should be mentioned as having the potential to grow large, especially if it's happy where grown.
3 Vote for Siberian Pink Honey
2 Vote for Orange Minsk

I think I will order both along with Omar Lebanese, see which one grew better here, for each growing condition.

# Its my first tread and Carolyn replying here, I don't why its feel so good to see her in my treat .

# Mike I never seed seller as cheap as yours. So are you shipping to Indonesia???? There is chance its won't pass but let it be my risk...
nangisha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggest , heirloom