Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 3, 2013   #1
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default Oops! and Yikes!

Hi,

The first photo illustrates the "oops!" part of this post..... I was out in the garden harvesting tomatoes and stopped to take a few photos. I was moving around and backing up in my wheelchair to get into a better position and, well... the photo shows the sad results. After realizing what happened, I picked up the two tomatoes that were still more or less intact and managed to drop them to complete the descruction. About 2 lbs of perfectly ripe black krim and indian stripe - never to be savored (although they did give off the most wonderful aroma that brought me a few moments of pleasure <g>!). Oh well..... after the initial disappointment, it was good for a laugh - tomato "road kill" LOL!

The last photos illustrate the "yikes" part of this post ..... I discovered some critter damage on a couple of tomatoes - a first for me. I've noticed more squirrels around .... could they be the culprits? (Looks like they preferred the wolford wonder to the Dona).

Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg squished maters 6-3-13.jpg (546.2 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg dona bite damage 6-3-13.jpg (297.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg wowlford wonder bite damage 6-3-13.jpg (449.8 KB, 94 views)
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2013   #2
Lcottomsvcs
Tomatovillian™

Hi Aclum,

Sorry about your tomatoes. I had the experience of having a hungry young boy go down the rail of the patio, where the tomatoes were sitting, and take a bite from each one as he went. Unfortunately, the remainders were spoiled before I realized what had hapenned. Think of those tomatoes as future compost.

Last year I had a rat eating my Romas. He chewed just he end off of each ripening one. The bite looked similar to your second pic.
Old June 3, 2013   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Oh wow. What a shame! You were so close you could almost taste em! Next time forget the box, first tomato gets eaten straight off the vine!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2013   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I found picking them before they are completely ripe work if you have critters sampling your tomatoes. They don't seem to bother the under-ripe fruit.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #5
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear about your spilled tomatoes. The damage looks like the damage I get from mocking birds. Mocking birds are mean, destructive birds and in Texas is protected because it is the state bird of Texas. I bet whoever made it the state bird didn't try to grow tomatoes.

Last edited by whistech; June 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #6
bluebonnets
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking it looked a bit like my mockingbird damages as well. The naughty little birds, they also have the nerve to chew me out when I go to my garden.
bluebonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #7
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistech View Post
Sorry to hear about your spilled tomatoes. The damage looks like the damage I get from mocking birds. Mocking birds are mean, destructive birds and in Texas is protected because it is the state bird of Texas. I bet whoever made it the state bird didn't try to grow tomatoes.
Well, I say we start a petition!
Change the state bird to one that doesn't destroy tomatoes!
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #8
aclum
Tomatovillian™

I think you're right about the mocking birds. We've got a couple of REALLY mean ones that have claimed our yard. They've pretty much driven out my little western scrub jay friends and even go after any of the big crows that venture into the yard. (And we don't have rats in the area <g>). About all we have left now besides the mockingbirds are some friendly little hummingbirds that I love.

Guess I'll put up some shinny bird tape and hope that keeps them away.

Thanks!
Anne
Old June 4, 2013   #9
coastal bend
Tomatovillian™

yep! that is what happend to some of my toms. mocking birds were giving me fits till I put up some cd's . Then if quit till a day with out wind and they got some more. The cd's helped. Now when they blush I pick them. I lost over 20 toms to the mocking birds.
coastal bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

That could be rats, squirrels, or birds. I've been hit by them all at one time or another. The only solution for rats and squirrels is getting rid of them. Once they home in on your tomatoes they will keep returning over and over again. If you pick them at first blush it will help.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2013   #11
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi,

Well, the critter struck again. Looks sort of like a (hungry) vampire bite! I've got CD's strung through 2 beds - 2 more to go!!

Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg critter chomped fruit 6-5-13.jpg (265.2 KB, 26 views)
Old June 5, 2013   #12
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

My neighbor's cat patrols my garden and so far I haven't had any tragedies like this. As long as he only uses my sprinkler wells in my yard as his cat box I'll be happy. That last pic does look like my peaches after the birds hit them. (The cat doesn't protect my peaches since the peach trees are in the area where my dogs hang out.)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2013   #13
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
That could be rats, squirrels, or birds. I've been hit by them all at one time or another. The only solution for rats and squirrels is getting rid of them. Once they home in on your tomatoes they will keep returning over and over again. If you pick them at first blush it will help.

Bill
I agree completely with your suspects and solutions, as I too have been hit by em all. I would add opossums to the list.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2013   #14
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclum View Post
Hi,

Well, the critter struck again. Looks sort of like a (hungry) vampire bite! I've got CD's strung through 2 beds - 2 more to go!!

Anne
As good as that tomato looks, I suspect I could be added to the list of suspects.

PS Except if it was me I would have eaten the whole thing.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2013   #15
indigosand
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistech View Post
YES! I hate those things. They'll pick hole in every fruit just to ruin them and fly away. The one that's been stealing my blueberries I've nicknamed Satan. Sorry about your tomato smush! The one has markings on it, were you trying for a particular breeding? Oh and the only way I've managed to slow them down (because they will peck anything reachable THROUGH it) is bird netting, draped over each plant and secured to the ground with rocks.