Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2017   #1
dfollett
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 555
Default A connection between F2 fruit size & seed locules in F1 fruit?

I’ve noticed something as I have been saving seed from different F1 crosses I grew out this summer. All the F1s I’m referring to are crosses between a micro multiflora that produces cherry-size fruit and various large-fruited indeterminate varieties. All the cherry-size fruit produced by the mama are typical cherry tomatoes with two seed locules in each fruit. The papas of the crosses are larger fruited indeterminates with numerous seed locules in each fruit.

I always assumed fruits from an F1 should be consistent (but then, I am an amateur with not a lot of knowledge about tomato genetics). As I’ve been saving seed, I’ve noticed that in some – but not all – of the F1s of the crosses the fruit from a single plant have varying numbers of seed locules. In some it is either 2 or 3 locules. In others, it is 2, 3 or 4, and in one case fruits with 2, 3, 4 or 5 locules from the same plant. One cross had nothing with 2 locules and everything had either 3 or 4 locules.

There was not a strong correlation between the fruit size and the number of seed locules. Perhaps on average, those with more locules were larger than those with fewer, but I certainly couldn’t guess before cutting into them which would have which. On one plant, the largest single fruit I harvested had two locules while the majority had three and more had four than had two.

Now to my question (I tend to ramble): When I grow out the F2s, is there any expectation of larger fruit on plants grown from seed out of fruits that had more locules than those that had only two like the typical cherry? What about fruit from seed of the 5-locule fruit versus that from the 2-locule fruit from the same F1 plant? Or, will all the fruit have the same potential regardless of the number of locules in the F1 fruit?

I kept the seed separate based on the number of locules and am wondering if it was a waste of effort. I'll have an idea a year from now as I grow out some F2, but I'd be interested in the insights of those of you who might know the answer. Is there is a likelihood of getting to larger fruit at F2 and beyond more quickly by focusing on seed from the fruits with more locules?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2017   #2
crmauch
Tomatovillian™
 
crmauch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Honey Brook, PA Zone 6b
Posts: 374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post


I always assumed fruits from an F1 should be consistent (but then, I am an amateur with not a lot of knowledge about tomato genetics). As I’ve been saving seed, I’ve noticed that in some – but not all – of the F1s of the crosses the fruit from a single plant have varying numbers of seed locules. In some it is either 2 or 3 locules. In others, it is 2, 3 or 4, and in one case fruits with 2, 3, 4 or 5 locules from the same plant. One cross had nothing with 2 locules and everything had either 3 or 4 locules.

There was not a strong correlation between the fruit size and the number of seed locules. Perhaps on average, those with more locules were larger than those with fewer, but I certainly couldn’t guess before cutting into them which would have which. On one plant, the largest single fruit I harvested had two locules while the majority had three and more had four than had two.

I read once back at the turn of the century, tomato breeders tried to progress their breeding programs by choosing a superior fruit. They made no real progress until they started making their selection for breeding on the whole plant (i.e. if the plant has one smooth tomato and the others ridged, the smooth tomato is not going to pass on different genes than the ridged ones.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
Now to my question (I tend to ramble): When I grow out the F2s, is there any expectation of larger fruit on plants grown from seed out of fruits that had more locules than those that had only two like the typical cherry? What about fruit from seed of the 5-locule fruit versus that from the 2-locule fruit from the same F1 plant? Or, will all the fruit have the same potential regardless of the number of locules in the F1 fruit?

I kept the seed separate based on the number of locules and am wondering if it was a waste of effort. I'll have an idea a year from now as I grow out some F2, but I'd be interested in the insights of those of you who might know the answer. Is there is a likelihood of getting to larger fruit at F2 and beyond more quickly by focusing on seed from the fruits with more locules?
I don't believe saving seed by locules will make a difference. Now if you have a plant that consistently has more locules on average than a different plant, that is something to select on.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2017   #3
dfollett
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
I read once back at the turn of the century, tomato breeders tried to progress their breeding programs by choosing a superior fruit. They made no real progress until they started making their selection for breeding on the whole plant (i.e. if the plant has one smooth tomato and the others ridged, the smooth tomato is not going to pass on different genes than the ridged ones.)



I don't believe saving seed by locules will make a difference. Now if you have a plant that consistently has more locules on average than a different plant, that is something to select on.
That is the same notion I have. However, shouldn't the fruit from an F1 all be the same? In most of the crosses I have, one or both of the parents are themselves not stable. In that case, seeds from different F1s will have different potential but all seeds from any given F1 will have the same potential - correct????

Perhaps the number of locules is more environmental than genetic. If that is the case, the seeds from the different fruits all have the same potential.

I searched my memory and on Tville and found that I had asked a similar question in a different thread and Bower answered saying basically the same thing. Thanks Bower (if I didn't thank you before).......
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2017   #4
crmauch
Tomatovillian™
 
crmauch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Honey Brook, PA Zone 6b
Posts: 374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
That is the same notion I have. However, shouldn't the fruit from an F1 all be the same? In most of the crosses I have, one or both of the parents are themselves not stable. In that case, seeds from different F1s will have different potential but all seeds from any given F1 will have the same potential - correct????
If the parents are not stable then definitely different F1s may have different potential, but in general all seeds of a given F1 will have the same potential.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
Perhaps the number of locules is more environmental than genetic. If that is the case, the seeds from the different fruits all have the same potential.
That's what I believe. Now I think there are (on some of the smallest cherries) where the plant never has more than 2 locules, but on a lot of cherries 2 to 3 is common. I think this means the plant has a 'weak' active lc gene, but that would be in all the fruit/genetics of that plant.

*The only thing that *might* be exception is if a branch formed on a plant that all the tomatoes on that branch were different from the main plant. In that case, the changed genetics "might" be able to be passed on to its progeny. Plants have 3 layers of meristem tissue, and if the mutation is not in the layer from where flowers are formed, the mutation is not passible via breeding [I'm assuming a lot of this from reading about apples which are grown in vast quantities of clones and occasionally a favorable mutation is found which is then propagated into new orchards.]

My caveat: I'm only an enthusiastic amateur. Anything I said here might be wrong.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2017   #5
dfollett
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
If the parents are not stable then definitely different F1s may have different potential, but in general all seeds of a given F1 will have the same potential.*


That's what I believe. Now I think there are (on some of the smallest cherries) where the plant never has more than 2 locules, but on a lot of cherries 2 to 3 is common. I think this means the plant has a 'weak' active lc gene, but that would be in all the fruit/genetics of that plant.

*The only thing that *might* be exception is if a branch formed on a plant that all the tomatoes on that branch were different from the main plant. In that case, the changed genetics "might" be able to be passed on to its progeny. Plants have 3 layers of meristem tissue, and if the mutation is not in the layer from where flowers are formed, the mutation is not passible via breeding [I'm assuming a lot of this from reading about apples which are grown in vast quantities of clones and occasionally a favorable mutation is found which is then propagated into new orchards.]

My caveat: I'm only an enthusiastic amateur. Anything I said here might be wrong.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I probably wasted effort keeping separate the seeds based on number of locules. Since I did, I'll probably run at least one experiment comparing fruit size from 2-locule fruit vs. fruit from 4 or 5-locule fruit. At least then I won't feel like I totally wasted the effort and it will give me confirmation of the theory.

You are obviously ahead of me in your knowledge of plant breeding. Thanks for the comments.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2017   #6
crmauch
Tomatovillian™
 
crmauch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Honey Brook, PA Zone 6b
Posts: 374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
You are obviously ahead of me in your knowledge of plant breeding. Thanks for the comments.
You have done far more crossing than me of tomatoes and look to be successful.

My knowledge is mostly from books. I've read most of the amateur books and
have attempted some of the professional ones, but sometimes get lost in jargon
in those.

I have tried breeding a number of things, and none have resulted in anything.

Peas: wanted to breed a purple snap pea:
Got to the F2 and was growing them out when a deer decided to enjoy them.
There are now both yellow and purple snap peas available in catalogs.
Learned: Save back a number of seeds in case you have a disaster

Passionflower: wanted to breed a hardy edible passionflower:
Maypops (the hardy passiflora are 'edible', but don't taste very good
(IMHO) and there are edible, good tasting passifloras, but they're not nearly
as hardy. Could not find enough variation In the fruit of the hardy species
to attempt anything useful & my 1 successful cross between a hybrid and the
hardy species had an 9 seeds that I could not get to sprout (passiflora seeds
can be difficult to sprout and 'hybrid' seed can be worse) and have a weird
flower thing going (some flowers are male/female, some are male (female
parts withered) and others are effectively male [all on the same plant].
The plants also spread underground by roots.
Learned: Hybrid species add tremendous levels of complication. Starting
from a 'wild' species can be very difficult.

Roses: wanted to breed low-spray, but multi-petalloid flowers:
Did a lot of crosses, never got anything particularly interesting. Most of my
'breeding' stock got wiped out by Rose Rosette Disease (RRD). The former
rose bed is now a miniature forest.
Learned: Disease can wipe you out.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2017   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™
 
bower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 4,252
Default

hi dfollett, just saw this thread.

We had some discussion about the locule genes, lc and fas, in the Karma project thread earlier this year. It is pretty mystifying to me, especially when you throw other shape and size genes into the mix, so don't count on me for an authoritative answer... still blundering my way through it. Iirc I found some information during the Karma discussion that was contrary to what i thought or concluded before. This is what I'm thinking now:
- cherry or wild type fruit can have 2-3 locules, not only two. I have seen 3 in a longer fruit with the Sun gene involved.
- 3-4 locules (or is it 3-5?) indicate the lc locule number gene is present. I believe it is incomplete dominant, so it does show up in F1 crosses involving a cherry.
- I am not sure how fas/- without lc would affect F1 locule number but iirc the diagram, 6 locules would be fas/fas without lc.
- None of the diagrams showed fas/- lc/- heterozygous conditions so... darkness in that corner.
- personally, if I see more locules I do save them separately and pursue that as an indicator of the larger fruit. But in my case, I have seen these in multiparent crosses ie unstable varieties crossed. I don't think I've seen these different locule numbers in a cross of two stable vars.
Some reasoning/ "thought experiment" :
- fas plus lc together make the big beefs ( plus numerous fruit size qtls). So it stands to reason that the stable beefs in your F1 crosses had both fas/fas and lc/lc
This means that all your F1's would have fas/- and lc/- present. And if both parents are completely stable, all of the F1s must be genetically identical.
If so, then the expression of more locules must be purely environmental...

What are the other possibilities?
Is it possible that one or both parents were not completely homozygous?
Could there be other genes that affect the expression of locule number from fas and lc?
Given that these possibilities do exist, it is worthwhile IMO to compare the progeny of the F1 with more locules to those without.
If I were looking for larger fruit, I would always save seed from the more loculed plant where I saw the genes expressed most often, just to hedge bets on the uncertainties/unknowns.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:29 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★