Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 5, 2020   #16
imp
Tomatovillian™

That would be the freshest cauliflower ever!!! Would the tunnel catch fire though?
Old January 5, 2020   #17
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Good point, I will use some Sterno.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2020   #18
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

This has surprisingly been a relatively moth-free fall season for the brassicas. There were a few out and about early fall but none since. Go figure.

I read about a short soak of broccoli and cauliflower heads in a salt water solution that will bring out any worms so you don't get any surprises in your cooked veg.
Can't remember the salt:water ratio but it can be looked up.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2020   #19
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
This has surprisingly been a relatively moth-free fall season for the brassicas. There were a few out and about early fall but none since. Go figure.

I read about a short soak of broccoli and cauliflower heads in a salt water solution that will bring out any worms so you don't get any surprises in your cooked veg.
Can't remember the salt:water ratio but it can be looked up.
Speak for yourself on the moths. This fall they have been the worst I have ever had this time of the year. I had to resort to using Sevin on my seedlings just after they were set out to harden off or I wouldn't have had any plants at the rate the worms were eating them. I didn't have enough plant left to wait on Dipel to starve them, I needed them dead right then. It worked for the seedlings but for the plants in the garden I like to stick to Dipel but this year has been very difficult as frequent rains and nice warm spells keep the worms very active this season. Usually fighting worms like this is a spring problem but not this year.

I'm not falling for the allure of Romanesque no matter how pretty it is and I do find it intriguing. Any broccoli that takes that long to make would just be too much to worry with down here with our volatile changing weather. It is not unusual to have it in the 20s and a day or two later suffer in the heat of the 80s or more. This quick changing weather is one of the reasons cauliflower is so difficult to grow most of the year down here. I like to plant it at least three times from fall into January or February. It will usually do okay at least one of those times and sometimes when I get really lucky all three will do well.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote