Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 26, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default OMG.... BEETS!

I'm letting my 'Packman' broccoli go to seed for collection, Yeah, it's a hybrid but I just want to collect the seed and see what it makes. So I'm taking the deer netting off so the bees can get at the flowers and my eyes fall on something growing along the other side of the bed.

Could it be???? Yes! The fall sown beets that got totally toasted and "died" from an unexpected frost are coming back. This is eerily similar to that beet story I told about some fall planted and "dead" beets coming up along my spring pea row.

They're small and not pretty (got a tad toasted again the other night) but they're there.

Maybe I should just plant them in the fall and expect them in spring!

Meanwhile, the beet seed I just sowed a few days ago isn't up yet but it's too soon. They will get row cover this time should frost threaten.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019   #2
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
I'm letting my 'Packman' broccoli go to seed for collection, Yeah, it's a hybrid but I just want to collect the seed and see what it makes. So I'm taking the deer netting off so the bees can get at the flowers and my eyes fall on something growing along the other side of the bed.

Could it be???? Yes! The fall sown beets that got totally toasted and "died" from an unexpected frost are coming back. This is eerily similar to that beet story I told about some fall planted and "dead" beets coming up along my spring pea row.

They're small and not pretty (got a tad toasted again the other night) but they're there.

Maybe I should just plant them in the fall and expect them in spring!

Meanwhile, the beet seed I just sowed a few days ago isn't up yet but it's too soon. They will get row cover this time should frost threaten.
That’s hilarious! I guess, why not do fall sowing; you’re no worse off, lol!
Old February 26, 2019   #3
oldman
Tomatovillian™

Plus if you do fall sowing when people are bragging about everything they're going to plant at Christmas you can just brush it off with "Oh , I've already started my garden for spring."
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019   #4
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I planted beets in Sept. to see what they would do. They germinated in November and December sporadically. A couple of freezes later, they were also toasted. They are coming back, but I have no idea if they will eventually produce beets. I also planted beets in December, so I should have a spring crop somehow.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2019   #5
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Hybrid brassicas use CMS, that is, they don't make pollen. You need another pollen source. The problem is for ever, new genetarions will also suffer from CMS.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2019   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Some parts of the south fall sowing is better for select root crops.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2019   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Worth.
I planted some turnip, chards, dill, mustard , last fall,before and after flooding went away. The ones i had planed before hurricane Florence were wiped out. But the second
planting did real well. Actually i stil have some of then going.
So over here fall planting is the way to go for cool/cole crops.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2019   #8
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I do collards, kale, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, scallions and turnips both spring and fall. Bush beans too, using Contender in September for a quick crop if the soil temp isn't too hot. I've tried beets early spring & fall and late spring & fall, trying to find that sweet spot. No luck except, apparently, some "accidental" results.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote