Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 3, 2020   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default The mysteries of Lime Green Salad

Folks, I have been growing this tomato for years, and am still unsure if it is a determinate or an indeterminate. It initially acts like a determinate with an enormous flush of blooms (see pic from earlier this week), but it also continues through the reason, although diminishes after 3-4 months. What is this plant?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Small Lime_Green_Salad_May_2020_25.jpg (147.9 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by ScottinAtlanta; June 3, 2020 at 11:36 AM.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2020   #2
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Lime Green Salad (aka 'Green Elf') is a determinate.

You can get multiple flushes from a determinate plant - it'll put out new growth after the flush of fruit is picked (it can then allocate its energy to the vegetative growth instead of the fruit/seed production). Up here in the Detroit area, a determinate plant will get at least two major flushes of fruit, but a third one is possible late in the season.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2020   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

If the number of leaves between flower stalks is less than 3, than it's a determinate. Yours sure looks determinate.
Now there's also semideterminates, which from what I can tell, usually have 2 leaves (the determinates often only have one, and the branch terminates after 2 or 3 flower stalks). And they can have quite a few flower stalks until termination (4-5, sometimes even more)
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2020   #4
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

Lime Green Salad is one I always grow. It was developed by Tom Wagner under the name "Green Elf" but was introduced by someone he had given seeds to as "Lime Green Salad". It grows such sturdy robust plants that always are such wonderful starts from seeds.
“Men should stop fighting among themselves and start fighting insects”
Luther Burbank
Indyartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2020   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

It's a dwarf - and I don't like to use the indet/det designation when describing dwarfs. I just assume it will be a plant that grows at half of the rate as an indeterminate and will fruit until frost, in flushes - and will be easily controlled due to the height limitations. It also seems to be somewhat of a multiflora dwarf, which reminds me that I need to use it in our breeding project!
Old June 23, 2020   #6
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I grew them for a few years and enjoyed them, but I couldn't adjust to eating green tomatoes even though my brain knew they were ripe. I also enjoyed them for their sturdy growth habit and the decorous display of them in full bloom.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2020   #7
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

Default My best Elf this year.

Here is my best Green Elf (lime Green Salad) this year. I wanted too many varieties to fit in my beds so I am using grow bags for some.

“Men should stop fighting among themselves and start fighting insects”
Luther Burbank
Indyartist is offline   Reply With Quote