Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 27, 2013   #16
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...0.html?12#post

In the thread above the parents of Ramapo F1 are given and the KC one Rutgers is now offering could well be one of the Ramapo parents as I see it, or very similar, just with a number line given.

You decide.

Carolyn, who doesn't want to confess how long it took her to find this link in her faves which numbers in the thousands, but it was happy click trip with remembrances of old.
After seeing those pics,, my ramapo and rutgers looked like those .. Many were smaller but I did get a good bunch in that size and texture.. I have to try a few plants again this year.. Thanks for the link carolyn
Old April 9, 2013   #17
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo View Post
Well I can't add anything to the thread about the Ramapo tomatoes(or Rutgers tomatoes), as I've never tried or have had an interest in growing either of them. Plus...with the glowing reviews on both of these varieties on here I probably won't be trying them anytime soon either (just kidding).

I did receive my order of Moreton and KC 146 tomato seeds though from Rutgers University's NJ Agricultural Experiment Station. Only took a week to get here since I reside in NJ. I grow mostly heirlooms ( e.g. Pruden's Purple, Black Krim, Aunt Gertie's Gold, etc) but I'm looking forward to see how these 2 tomatoes grow and taste in comparison. This is a pic of the seed packets for them:
Attachment 32368

~Alfredo
Alfredo, let us know how they do! I was thinking of trying the KC-146 for canning myself, but I really am out of control and CANNOT fit another plant in. Actually I cannot fit what I have already either lol....
Old April 18, 2013   #18
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Alfredo, let us know how they do! I was thinking of trying the KC-146 for canning myself, but I really am out of control and CANNOT fit another plant in. Actually I cannot fit what I have already either lol....
Will do lakelady....so far the Moreton tomato plants have been growing a bit faster, but that's probably just due to it being an earlier season tomato compared to the KC-146. ~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #19
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

alfredo, I'm going to buy some ramapo and rutger plants locally, still have survivors I grew from seeds. (super beef steaks and big boys) probably will have more than enough for planting. I will also keep in touch. This time of year, I'm away a lot so I must trust others to take care bringing them in and outside
Old July 31, 2013   #20
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Default Pic of Moreton F1 Hybrid tomatoes.

Here's a pic of one of the clusters of tomatoes on one of my Moreton F1 Hybrid tomato plants. I have to say, it's quite a productive tomato plant...I just counted 18 tomatoes on one of my plants, all around the same size (roughly around the size of a tennis ball more or less).

IMG_0560.jpg Moreton F1 Hybrid tomatoes.

My KC-146 tomato plant is growing really big and vigorous too, has some tomato fruit on it as well. I'll post pics of it soon.

~Alfredo
Old July 31, 2013   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo View Post
Here's a pic of one of the clusters of tomatoes on one of my Moreton F1 Hybrid tomato plants. I have to say, it's quite a productive tomato plant...I just counted 18 tomatoes on one of my plants, all around the same size (roughly around the size of a tennis ball more or less).

Attachment 36982 Moreton F1 Hybrid tomatoes.

My KC-146 tomato plant is growing really big and vigorous too, has some tomato fruit on it as well. I'll post pics of it soon.

~Alfredo
Yes, Moreton Hybrid is prolific and darn good tasting as well. it was one of the first hybrids that became available to the public, after Big Boy F1 and Better Boy F1, and Moreton along with Supersonic F1 and Jet Star F1, all bred by the Harris Seed CO and I knowthat I and many others, think those three, along with Ramapo F1 are some of THE best tasting hybrids, still.

Carolyn
Old July 31, 2013   #22
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes, Moreton Hybrid is prolific and darn good tasting as well. it was one of the first hybrids that became available to the public, after Big Boy F1 and Better Boy F1, and Moreton along with Supersonic F1 and Jet Star F1, all bred by the Harris Seed CO and I know that I and many others, think those three, along with Ramapo F1 are some of THE best tasting hybrids, still.

Carolyn
Oh wow...That's a seriously good endorsement/opinion of a tomato variety's taste Carolyn, coming from you especially. Can't wait to try the first ripe Moreton tomato off one of my plants. There's a couple that will be ripe any day now. It's almost as fast at having mature fruit as the Sophie's Choice tomatoes I have growing. Only a few days behind it, it appears.
~Alfredo
Old September 4, 2015   #23
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I am kind of bumping this thread but am curious to know what others have experienced with these tomatoes in the meantime. Last week I attended the Rutgers Tomato Tasting for the first time and bought the Ramapo and KC 146. I was looking for reactions to these varieties and came across this thread. I think I should have bought the Moreton as well but space is a consideration for me. The only other hybrids I have grown constantly is Sun Sugar and Momotaro. I have grown Rutgers in the past but never been so impressed that I had to keep growing it. I grow otherwise only open pollinated. The best tasting tomatoes at this tasting for me was Solar Flare, a variety that failed for me this year. I also tasted the Ramapo and liked it so will give it a try in 2016.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2020   #24
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

Been growing Ramapoes since they became available a decade ago or more again. Also grow Rutgers [cambell soup] tomatoes once in a while. The Rutgers are more uniform and tennis ball size but unlike other posts my ramapoes are the size from a baseball to a softball. I grow them every year and are by far my favorite tomato. Massive yields.
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2020   #25
nathan125
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramapojoe View Post
Been growing Ramapoes since they became available a decade ago or more again. Also grow Rutgers [cambell soup] tomatoes once in a while. The Rutgers are more uniform and tennis ball size but unlike other posts my ramapoes are the size from a baseball to a softball. I grow them every year and are by far my favorite tomato. Massive yields.

Share some seed with a fellow brethren ?
nathan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2020   #26
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

I only get them as seedlings from a Rutgers Based nursery. there are only a few other nursery's that sell them. not sure why they aren't more widespread. They are hybrids so I don't bother saving the seeds from my tomatoes.
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote