Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 14, 2006   #1
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

Default Gift Basket ( Box hehe )

This lovely old lady noticed me digging my garden from the street one morning back in March and came into the yard. She was very very positive towards me and about my garden idea and extremely encouraging in an old immigrant type of way. She even came back later that day and gave me Lemonade she had made and a muffin and I thought it was extremely sweet of someone who I didn't know so I made a mental note of where she lives and this morning I dropped this off at her house with a nice note.

You can't really see everything but basically it was 1 Caspian Pink , 1 Lemon Boy , 3 Tigerella's , 5 Miracle Sweet , A few Sweet 100's , Large Handful of Pole Beans, Large Handful of Basil , 2 Bell Peppers , 3 Hot Portugal Peppers , 4 Sweet Banana Peppers( Were just turning yellow so hope they yellow up nice for her ???) 2 Big Leaves of Swiss Chard and the 4 White Onions and 6 Spanish Onions you can see hanging on My Trellis. This was my harvest this morning and I figured it would be nice to give something back.

I have just been really happy with how my little garden has turned out and I clearly remember digging it in March and how abolsutely discouraged I was getting considering how stupidly large I had chosen to make the thing. It really was one of those small minor things that has happened that has made this whole experience very positive ( Including meeting some of the wonderful Gardeners Online ). I just wanted to share the story and the picture with some of you. I really am proud of how my garden has turned out and I know there has been a lot of minor things that some people have gone out of their way to do that has really helped. Including answering some of my very newbie type questions on this forum. :wink:

westocast73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2006   #2
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Ciao westocast,

Thank you for your lovely picture. It's quite encouraging because there is a possibility of our family moving to Vancouver as early as this winter. I miss the rain and I will NOT miss the snow here. If we have to give up the idea of growing corn, so be it..there are compensations such as more berries than an average human being can consume in a season.
Old August 14, 2006   #3
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Gift Basket ( Box hehe )

Quote:
Originally Posted by westocast73
This lovely old lady noticed me digging my garden from the street one morning back in March and came into the yard. She was very very positive towards me and about my garden idea and extremely encouraging in an old immigrant type of way. She even came back later that day and gave me Lemonade she had made and a muffin and --------
I will be sending you some lemonade and a muffin. Please have a big box of tomatoes ready for me to pickup.

I love Vancouver. Been there many times.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2006   #4
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Gift Basket ( Box hehe )

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarch

I will be sending you some lemonade and a muffin. Please have a big box of tomatoes ready for me to pickup.

dcarch
Send me an instant lemonade packet and some muffin mix and I will send you some Tomato seeds

Sorellina - Yep Vancouver is deffinetly a Berry lovers paradise. I don't care for corn or snow so I don't miss Toronto at all. Especially the summer nights where it felt like 30C+. Humidty is not my friend!
Old August 14, 2006   #5
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by westocast73
She even came back later that day and gave me Lemonade she had made and a muffin.
Good to see that elixir worked....I also have some 'lemonade' for you. I'll bring it over
as soon as the 'muffins' are done.

Kidding aside, Great looking basket, what a nice gesture!

Bruce
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2006   #6
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Julianna, no need to give up on growing corn here in Vancouver - we have 3 patches of corn growing happily here and already picked the first batch last week. Yummy... When (if) you move to Vancouver, we can have a tomato tasting party some time next year - it looks like we will have enough tomatoholics here

Westocast, very nice picture and a great neighbor you've got there! Where are you located? I am up in Anmore... I am actually very open to an idea to host some kind of tomato event sometime in September, if there is enough interest in the area... let me know.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2006   #7
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

westocast73 & Tania

You probably know the place. I was in Vancouver and visited this deep valley with a long suspension bridge and caught this round rainbow.

Don't remember the name of that place.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2006   #8
Star
Tomatovillian™

a lovely gesture
and beautiful vegetables :wink:
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2006   #9
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

Dcarch if you paid to go in it was Capilano Suspension Bridge. If it was free it was Lyn Valley Park. Both have Suspension bridges but one is a Private Park and the other is Government.

Tania - I am in Richmond. September this year probably will not work for me but if you do end up arranging something for next year I would be interested. I know my Dad and his friend ( who I grow Seedlings for ) might be interested in attending such an event as well as they love Tomatoes.
Old August 16, 2006   #10
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Just heavenly Westocoast.

That really is a basket of homegrown produce to die for, oozing antioxidants, bursting with flavo(u)r.

I can't wait for some such thing down here this season.

Wonderful. And good growing. And a lovely gesture.

Best wishes, Grub.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2006   #11
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

A truly gorgeous box of goodies. Making my mouth water down here I can tell you.
Wonderful gesture and am sure she loved them.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2006   #12
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

I think the gesture was well deserved considering how friendly and giving she was with me. I just came in from watering and am happy to see my first Cherokee Purple taking on some colour. I was sitting out there looking at my garden thinking I could make it 4 feet deeper and 16 ( right now its 8X16 with the Tomatoes on their own 2x24 section ) feet wider next year. Hehe looks like it is going to be a busy fall.

P.S. She loved the basket by the way and says she use to grow Caspian Pink and hadn't had one in many years.
Old August 17, 2006   #13
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Ooooh, ... jealous Sorellina, if you are moving to that beautiful province. (My retirement dream! - if I can afford anything by then).

Westocast - nice box of goodies - your garden is prolific - and the gesture does not surprise me - Canucks, for the most part, seem to be like that. If the middle east could just give their neighbours a few tomatoes & peppers out of the goodness of their heart, imagine the possibilities!