Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 18, 2010   #46
Budge
Tomatovillian™

Default EarthTainer Supplements & Jolly Green Giant Plants

Last summer I built four EarthTainers and added 1 cup of low nitrogen fertilizer (Tomato Tone) and 1 cup of dolomite lime to the planting mix in each EarthTainer per planting instructions that came with the building instructions for the EarthTainers. But I kind of went nuts and added 2 cups of kelp meal, 2 cups of earthworm castings and a quarter cup of epsom salts also to each container, along with a quart or two of liquid fish emulsion watered at the top of each container early in the growth of the plants. I had incredibly bushy 7 1/2 foot tall plants in each container with lots of perfectly formed, disease- free tomatoes that awed and amazed myself and everyone that saw them. Unfortunately, last summer in my zone 5 southeastern Michigan area was unseasonably cool, cloudy and/or rainy most of the summer, not good at all for tomatoes that like it hot and sunny, and my gorgeous tomatoes, though nice and red on the outside and fairly soft when gently squeezed, had too much hard, white pith on the inside and they were all utterly tasteless, no matter what the tomato variety, hybird or heirloom. Just about every tomato grower from my area to the east coast and along the Atlantic corridor agreed it was awful summer weather for tomatoes. I plan to try again this summer though, and if the plants are humongous like last year, I might even charge admisson to view...naw, there I go, getting carried away again.
Budge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2010   #47
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Budge,

Getting the EarthTainer "tuned" for your particular region and weather pattern will take a few years to optimize. Kind of the fun of the Hobby to begin with....

I am trialing various combinations of Potting Mix, with Bark Fines and Perlite. As of today, a 3:2:1 ratio of these ingredients seems to work best for my location and rain pattern (yours may vary). Also, be sure you use the latest EarthTainer Construction and Maintenance Guide (Rev 1.8).

http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pd...tion-Guide.pdf

Have fun!!

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2010   #48
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Ray, do you still use the plastic sheeting on the top, or have you changed you mind on the use of the black plastic?
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2010   #49
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Recruiterg,

The goal of the moisture barrier is to minimize evaporation, so one doesn't have to fill the water reservoir as often. Also, in drought-prone areas where water conservation is important, the theory being the black plastic traps the moisture from evaporating.

I have been experimenting with about half the EarthTainers now without the moisture barrier, but laying down an inch thick layer of Bark Fines in its place. Results from my Fall trials were promising - - but I want to do more evaluations this 2010 Season before I make any recommendations on leaving it off.

Raybo
Old January 18, 2010   #50
Budge
Tomatovillian™

Hey Ray,

Wonderful to hear from the guy who dreamed up this incredible growing container. Never have I had such success with plants. I made a mess of the black plastic that goes on top of the containers so I just spread bark on top and it worked fine. Water's not (yet) a problem here nestled among the Great Lakes and the (yuk) Detroit River.
Budge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2010   #51
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budge View Post
Hey Ray,

Wonderful to hear from the guy who dreamed up this incredible growing container.
Budge,

Email me any time with questions / suggestions on how to improve the EarthTainer design.

BTW, it was a fellow Tomatoville member in Ohio named "Earl" (of Earl's Faux fame) who was the inspiration for the EarthTainer design. I simply added to many of his design concepts, with the self-supporting cage system, and the toggle bolts / landscape fabric improvements. The rest is History.....

Raybo
Old January 19, 2010   #52
ruet
Tomatovillian™

The only way I could see to improve the earthtainer was to make the container out of gas-permeable material, so I'm using Spanish clay roofing bricks (rasillon) to make a couple of ´tainers this year.

Last year I had big success with black cherry in SWC, this year I'll be matching it and Big Beef F1 in plastic earthtainers vs clay ´tainers. If the evaporative cooling at the rootzone makes a huge difference in Madrid's blast furnace summers, I guess I'll go clay all the way next year.

The other idea that came to me would be to companion plant Sweet alyssum (Lobularia Maritima, not the perennial) — very small plant, shallow root system and a 6ish inches mature height, tops. Attracts beneficials and should be a nice living mulch. I guess that rules out using a fertilizer strip, though.
ruet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2010   #53
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

ruet,

With the Sun and heat in Madrid Summers, I would encircle the container with a bamboo shade material (or similar), to keep the rays from striking the container directly. Also, that is another advantage of applying a one inch layer of bark fines to the surface - - it tends to keep the potting mix cooler, as opposed to the Sun striking the black plastic moisture barrier.

Raybo
Old January 19, 2010   #54
Salty_Dog
Tomatovillian™

Ray, what a brilliant idea!!!

That Bamboo Shade stuff is the perfect idea to make my Commercial looking SWC's into an appealing object on my deck.

I would of never thought of that myself. Thank You
Salty_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2010   #55
GHurt
Tomatovillian™

I cant find any 4 legged cages in my area... Walmart by me only sells a 3 legged thin cage. Guess ill have to keep looking. This is the only item I have left to aquire..
GHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2010   #56
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

GHurt,

Just when many folks were moving to larger Heirloom tomato plants, Walmart discontinues selling their sturdy 4 leg cages last year - - go figure!!

Your local Nursery may be a better source for the 4 leg cages. Some folks adapted the ones at Target last Season too.

Raybo
Old January 23, 2010   #57
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

Ray:

I'm presently building 6 'Tainers. Talked to my local nursery who should be able to get cages that are 54" tall with an 18" top hoop. I'll let you know if they measure up. Plan to start my tomato seeds February 13th for plantout last of March.

Happy Matering,

Paul
matertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2010   #58
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Paul,

Try to find this 4 leg cage:

Well built and worth the extra cost vs. Walmart / Home Depot thin legged cages.

Raybo
Old January 23, 2010   #59
GHurt
Tomatovillian™

Well I checked with 4 different nursery's in the area and a no go.. they didn't even have the cheap ones.. I think i have a idea on what to do.. i will post pictures of what I come up with.

I found some four legged ones today at a Lowes :-)

Last edited by GHurt; January 24, 2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
GHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2010   #60
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

Ray

I found some four-legged cages at Lowes-top hoop diameter was 16". I believe these were made by Panacea (sp?).

I also found a compressed bale (3.8 cu. ft.) of Pro Mix BX with Mycorise. Will I need to add the Perlite to this?

Paul
matertoo is offline   Reply With Quote