Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 8, 2009   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoguy View Post
How about Cuostralee. It seems to be rendered as Coustralee quite often. Perhaps this is because the "uo" part is most unusual in English. I think it is the same scenario that causes a Yale graduate to be unable to pronounce the word "nuclear".

mater
'

The subject of the spelling of Cuostralee has come up many times since I first listed it in the SSE Yearbook many years ago.

I recieved the variety in 1992 in a huge trade with a Frenchman and it was he who spelled it that way, so I spelled it that way as well.

The trade was between him, he initiated it, and Bill Minkey and myself and that trade brought into the Yearbook and subsequently out to various seed sources many many varieties that are well known today.
Old February 8, 2009   #17
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Oaxacan Jewel & Oaxan Jewel Also both of those with "pink" instead of Jewel. And does anyone know if it's Marvel Striped Zapotec or Marvel Striped or Marvel Stripe(s)?
I have seen it all three ways. And I am looking for some of those "Oaxa-esque" "pink" by the way.
Old February 8, 2009   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
Oaxacan Jewel & Oaxan Jewel Also both of those with "pink" instead of Jewel. And does anyone know if it's Marvel Striped Zapotec or Marvel Striped or Marvel Stripe(s)?
I have seen it all three ways. And I am looking for some of those "Oaxa-esque" "pink" by the way.
It's been listed as Marvel Striped in the SSE Yearbook forever.

It's also been listed in the SSE YEarbook as Oaxacan Jewel forever.

Zapotec is pink, not a bicolor as are the above two, and has always been listed seperately in the Yearbook in the pink color section while the first two above, both gold/red bicolors, have always been listed in the "other color" section.

While Marvel Striped is said to be from Oaxaca, Mexico, and presumably the same origin for Oxacan Jewel and Zapotec is also said to be from Oaxaca as well, the two bicolors are completely different from Zapotec, which is variously listed as Zapotec , Zapotec Pink Ribbed and Zapotec Pink Pleated

I could go farther back in my SSE Yearbooks but I hope the above helps to clarify the issue.

Folks do make mistakes in spelling all the time whether it's at message sites such as this one or at commercial seed source sites or in the SSE Yearbook.

Stuff happens.