Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 5, 2009   #16
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Hubby used to be the Golf Course Superentendent at a course that had a PGA tournament. 30some years ago Lee Trevino and another pro golfer were hurt when lightning struck the green they were on at the Western Open in Chicago. Our tournament was for the very next week in Milwaukee with a similar weather forecast. Our little town, Franklin, didn't have any of those sirens at that time. So because of the PGA's concerns, we had several of the fire depts vehicles posted around the course in case of bad weather that year.

The following year the PGA made it manditory that any course holding a tournament had to have a siren on the course. Ours was the first siren in all of Franklin at that time. While the course was rather rural then, there were a few small subdivisions that could hear it during storm warnings.

And several years after the Lee Trevino incident there were a couple of golfers killed by lightning on a public course just down the road from us.

Not good to be outside when a violent storm with lightning goes by.

Yes, I know, we've all done it. Trying to finish some chore before heading in and the storm gets there quicker than you thought.

All the stories posted here tho, should make all of us think twice this coming year when storms aproach.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2009   #17
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

From reading all the posts here I would like to make a hypothesis. Hasshoes, You should be safe unless Worth is anywhere near or that Pecan tree is anywhere near. For sure do not stay in the vicinity of both during a lightening storm. Oh yea and don't garden while holding a golf club over your head during a lightening storm.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2009   #18
robin303
Tomatovillian™

Army stops refueling aircraft if lightning is within 5 miles. I have lost 3 PC's due to it. Left it on when I was at work. I'm a Dummy. One bolt was 30' away my hair went straight out and the noise was deafening. Ringing in the ears for 3 days.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2009   #19
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Hmmmm, thinking of all the times we've continued clamming through summer thunder storms out on barrier islands.... no cover & the metal boat just didn't seem appealing, even with its canvas cover (LOL). We just get into water up to our shoulders/necks (well away from the boat) & rake away... so when you hear of the frittered mater lady at the beach...
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2009   #20
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
Yes, I know, we've all done it. Trying to finish some chore before heading in and the storm gets there quicker than you thought.

All the stories posted here tho, should make all of us think twice this coming year when storms aproach.

Carol
Yes Carol, I agree with you whole-heartedly!

The story goes Thusly: Great Grandfather walking home through the fields after hearing thunder claps. Does his
usual thing; places his rounded sickle around his neck while carrying other things in his hands. One lightening bolt hit the sickle and beheaded him. He was found later on in the day. So sad? Yes, but he was doing what he normally did. And it was his routine.

~* Robin