Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 2, 2009   #1
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Default How to keep from starting tomato seeds too early.

This works for me. I put my grow lights in a cabinet; put a padlock on the cabinet; then take the keys, my bolt cutter and all my files to my neighbor next door and make him promise not to give them back until the first of March.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2009   #2
hill60
Tomatovillian™

Interesting plan. I just may give it a try.

Hill60
hill60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2009   #3
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Darn why didn't I think of that. Started on Jan 1st, 15th and 30th pushing for Early April plant out in SWC. First group have now graduated to 5" cups and most likely will have to move up to 1/2 gal milk carton in March. Experimenting with super croping to slow down growth. Will see if it keeps the plants from getting to tall. Atleast I was able to get my platform built to level out part of the back yard, during this spring weather we had yesterday and earlier this morning. Now its snowing on and off. LOL The platform is for the 16 SWC.

George

Last edited by geeboss; February 3, 2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: left off information
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2009   #4
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Hopeless...just like NOT buying/trading for far more varieties than you actually have room for! I swear I can hear the seeds "talking' to me as I pass my counter where I have laid them all out according to size, type and # of days. They whisper..."Here we are...just a little dirt, some light and you will have us to take care of and look at with a magnifying glass every day. Come on...you know you want to." They are dastardly!
Old February 3, 2009   #5
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Ya know Brokenbar I must have that same hearing problem along with tinnitus so its either ringing or wispering come on over and take me home. So today I grabbed some seeds to send to Trudi for winter sowing.

George
Old February 3, 2009   #6
levad
Tomatovillian™

there is still a foot of snow here so the seeds are safe...for now......maybe
levad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2009   #7
dice
Tomatovillian™

If you pinch the tops off, that will set them back two weeks.
Old February 3, 2009   #8
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I swear I can hear the seeds "talking' to me

Me too.

I'm really anxious to see what some of my new seeds are going to produce.

What's really terrible is I went a bit nutz on the trading shortly after joining TV. There are soooo many wonderful sounding varieties mentioned here that I had never heard of. I ended up getting over 100 varieties 'new to me'. Looks like I'm going to be in the 300 variety range for this year. I just hope I will be able to organize things enough so I will be able to save seeds from as many as possible this fall.

Last year I started some of my hot peppers in the house around the middle of Jan. Earlier than I ever did before. I can usually get into my starter greenhouse by the middle to end of Feb. I would have been alright with those early starts if I had been able to move them at that time.

But with all the snow we got last year, it was late March before we could even get to the greenhouse. I lost a whole lot of my first peppers AND my first tomatoes due to prolonged time in the house and some damping off due to not enough air movement.

Other than starting a few seeds for some dwarfs I want to pot up early, I've been holding back, so far !!! I think by the middle of Feb I will be starting some stuff, IF we don't have a lot of snow on the ground again.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2009   #9
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I allow myself to plant just a couple dwarf, early types and that keeps me content until real planting time....
I should have taken a picture of my mothers plants last year...She decided to plant before she went out of town and thought her plants would be fine...She ended up planting about 2 weeks earlier than usual and couldn't plant out due to weather for several extra weeks...They were horribly too spindly and never did do nearly as well as normal...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2009   #10
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

Default It's never too early for dwarfs!

I love the miniatures and small dwarfs! Some people might call them houseplants, i call them housepets....the most spoiled tomatoes in all of tomatoville.

Small tomato plants, but big tomato fun!

Jan
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2009   #11
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Now I'm hearing them say "lets go out and play". Been slaping them around and trying to toughening them up so they can handle the wind maybe this weekend I'll let them out and play for an hour, its going back up to the 50's. Haaa they're so young to be outside this early.

George
Old February 3, 2009   #12
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

They are way too young to be out without a curfew. Let them know they have to be in by dark.
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2009   #13
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Here's another way to keep from planting too soon: Put your seeds someplace new or safe, i.e., not where you usually keep them.

Then try to remember where you put them. By the time you stumble across them it will be time to start your seeds.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2009   #14
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Yea okie dokie putting the seeds away in a safe place.

Putting the seeds with the Tax papers that I'll pull out and do on April 10th. LOL

George
Old February 8, 2009   #15
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth_10 View Post
Here's another way to keep from planting too soon: Put your seeds someplace new or safe, i.e., not where you usually keep them.

Then try to remember where you put them. By the time you stumble across them it will be time to start your seeds.
Yeah Ruth, by the time he could find them it'll be NEXT Christmas! LOL

~* Robin