Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 9, 2009   #1
babylark
Tomatovillian™

Default Aerogarden question

I got an Aerogarden for Christmas. It's doing VERY well so far. I replaced some of the herb seeds in the sponge with 2 Red Robin seeds. The Red Robin has taken over the garden. It's to the top and has flowers and it's only been since Christmas Day.

I've been using the nutrient tablets that came with the garden. Is there an alternative nutrient that I can get? I was eyeing up the Organic liquid from MG, but I didn't know if that would work? Can anyone help with ideas of alternatives?

I already plan on re-using the baskets and putting a piece of sponge in place, but an alternative for those would be great too!
Old February 9, 2009   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Check out Pete's guide to hydroponics 1,2 and 4 at this link. Ami
http://www.aerogardeners.com/content/category/1/1/2/
Old February 9, 2009   #3
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

BabyLark,

Red Robins seem to be very precocious plants. Mine started blooming and fruiting at a young age, too.

I don't see why you couldn't use any commercial hydro nutrient brand. Hydroponics is hydroponics.

I like the Botanicare organic products for soil gardening, but they also carry a hydroponics line.

Also, although not organic, in a pinch you could use the Schultz Plus 7 drop/qt. houseplant food in the bloom stage.
It has the right NPK ratio and also includes essential minerals like magnesium and calcium. That's what my Red Robins have been fed since day one and they are loaded with fruit.

Jan
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2009   #4
babylark
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info...I will check out the sites.

I'm anxiously waiting for little maters on my Red Robin!