Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 6, 2009   #1
mvan
Tomatovillian™

Default Off The Vine archives

Is there anywhere online that has archives of the OTV newsletter? I think it would be interesting to read about what was once the "latest and greatest" . And also to see that some things maybe haven't changed too much.

I did a google search, but it seems like all the results have to do with wine.

Matt
mvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2009   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvan View Post
Is there anywhere online that has archives of the OTV newsletter? I think it would be interesting to read about what was once the "latest and greatest" . And also to see that some things maybe haven't changed too much.

I did a google search, but it seems like all the results have to do with wine.

Matt
Matt, there is no place where all the articles of all the issues is present but the articles that Craig wrote are at his website which you can find via the membership page or by Googling Craig LeHoullier. I know it's at top cities but I'm too darn lazy to go fetch.

We stopped publishing it in the mid-90's for a variety of reasons and since then many many former subscribers, and others who knew of it, have asked if we would start it again, or make it available as a book or make it available, all issues, online, etc.

There are problems in doing some or any of the above b'c not all articles that were saved to disc are still available, actually far from it. So what's missing at Craig's site are all the articles I wrote, all the interviews that either of us wrote about, all of the articles that invited folks wrote, and more.

I haven't reviewed what's at Craig's site re OTV in quite a while so if I'm wrong I'm sure he'll correct me.

I'll just say that Craig has resurrected the topic of OTV with me recently, very recently, and we're working on making it more available in the future, but with some changes.

Craig will see this thread and will make any additional comments he wishes to make.
Old February 6, 2009   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

If you follow this link, you will find those articles that we had electronic copies of (unfortunately they are mine - I am in the process of transcribing the rest)

http://nctomatoman.topcities.com/OffTheVineIndex.htm

There are plans in the works in this space...stay tuned.
Old February 6, 2009   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
If you follow this link, you will find those articles that we had electronic copies of (unfortunately they are mine - I am in the process of transcribing the rest)

http://nctomatoman.topcities.com/OffTheVineIndex.htm

There are plans in the works in this space...stay tuned.
What Craig is trying to say, but delicately, is that when I moved to my present location in 1999 somehow the rest of the discs were lost or misplaced.

Craig would send his contribution to me on disc but keep a backup, and a few other guest contributors also sent to me material on disc, but many sent written stuff I'd have to type in and convert. Then I'd set up each issue, have it formatted, get the xeroxing done and haul the stapled copies to my then lab and pay some students to attach stamps and address labels, made for us by one of Craig's friends, fold the newsletters in half and staple them again, then load them into bags, haul them to the PO and send them.....and hope that the Canadian and other country ones wouod get to their destinations, which sometimes they didn't, especially Canada.

We'll update you as things progress, but I think you can assume from what I just said that we aren't going back to a subscription type endeavor.
Old February 6, 2009   #5
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Whatever you can resurrect and post, I am interested in reading! edited: Just took a look at the topcities link given by CLeH above. Lots of good reading there! Thanks!
Old February 6, 2009   #6
mvan
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn and Craig,

Thank you. That's what I was looking for.
Now I have a new website to add to my favorites.

Matt
mvan is offline   Reply With Quote