Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 8, 2016   #1
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

My start tray? I don't know anything about this start tray, but it sounds like it took quite a romantic trip. Newfoundland, villages, etc. are exactly the type of place I think of when I think of great places to visit, clear the head and reflect.

But, you guys who grow tomatoes there are kind of like pioneers to me. I don't know how you do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
...and why i traveled 4 days with your start tray Fred in our book crate, lol. Crossed the Canadian border, the StLawerenceSeaway on an overnight ferry, hit high wind snow storm, three hotel rooms...and they were the cull tray i could not leave behind.

Somehow twenty-two survived out of 15. (More babies, late bloomers came up). All have good homes here in Newfoundland. !0 just went of to StJohn's and the rest will be grown in my village in greenhouses.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2016   #2
fantoma
Tomatovillian™

I still have to grow more tomatoes to conclude which ones have flavours all of their own.
fantoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #3
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Biyskaya Roza has really good unique taste. I grew it last year for the first time and am growing it again. I had more than 40 varieties in my garden last year and many excellent tasting. This one stand out. The taste was just different.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #4
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Biyskaya Roza has really good unique taste. I grew it last year for the first time and am growing it again. I had more than 40 varieties in my garden last year and many excellent tasting. This one stand out. The taste was just different.
I think it is excellent variety too, am growing it again myself. Can't beat early varieties that taste good.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I loved that tomato, and I would not have known about it if it wasn't for you, Ella. I passed it on to many, and had many more requests after I ran out of seeds. Hopefully more will come available from others after the summer, since I had to disappoint so many.
I think it will make the final cut for next August's garden starts again.
Thank you Ella for the seeds.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #6
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I loved that tomato, and I would not have known about it if it wasn't for you, Ella. I passed it on to many, and had many more requests after I ran out of seeds. Hopefully more will come available from others after the summer, since I had to disappoint so many.
I think it will make the final cut for next August's garden starts again.
Thank you Ella for the seeds.
I got seeds from Tatiana, unfortunately she does not offer them this year.
We will have to collect seeds.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I got seeds from Tatiana, unfortunately she does not offer them this year.
We will have to collect seeds.
Likety like like like!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #8
artis
Tomatovillian™

Two tomatoes that have a unique and great taste in my opinion are Prue (as many others have mentioned) and Lillian's Yellow Heirloom.

On a side note, I like Purple Calabash quite well although I do not think that it has a unique taste, it just tastes much more acidic to me than other "black" tomatoes.

I once grew Carolyn's favorite tomato Sandpoint and found that it did not have any taste at all for me. There must be some major differences in taste perception among different people.
artis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #9
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I am very excited about my cosmonaut volkov this year.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #10
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I found Neves Azorean Red to taste like carrots. Guess it's just me though, never seen anyone mentioning this.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2016   #11
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Default Caarmello

I find that Carmello has a unique taste. It is still tomatoey but not exactly. It is pleasant and very productive and disease resistant, but does taste a little different, Undescribable really. Every one who tasted it liked it but all said it was different than the usual tomato taste.
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2016   #12
Kongobongo
Tomatovillian™

I haven't even come close to the number of varieties that people here have grown but so far Brandywine has the most unique taste for me.The richest tasting tomato I have ever tried.I'm hooked forsure.
Old September 4, 2016   #13
tedln

The first time I tasted a Black Krim, I didn't like the texture; but the taste was great. I thought I could detect a smoky flavor but couldn't decide if I was only imagining it. I gave some to our daughter and asked her to eat them and tell me what she thought. She came back and said they were very good and she could detect a smoky scent in them.

Ted
Old September 5, 2016   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
The first time I tasted a Black Krim, I didn't like the texture; but the taste was great. I thought I could detect a smoky flavor but couldn't decide if I was only imagining it. I gave some to our daughter and asked her to eat them and tell me what she thought. She came back and said they were very good and she could detect a smoky scent in them.

Ted
I think the "smokey" taste perception come from the visual appearance of black tomatoes that look as if "smoked" and got dark.
But I think dark/black tomatoes have a creamy texture and when over ripe can be mushy. JMO

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2016   #15
charline
Tomatovillian™

cole robbie: try violet jasper when it is slightly under ripe. I didnt like it too, but then tried every stage of ripeness and underripe is the only way it tastes good. Very ripe = horrible....
charline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flavor , profile , tasting , unique