Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 4, 2019   #1
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Default Asparagus?

Three years ago, I planted twenty asparagus crowns in two different beds. I noticed last year, some crowns produce stems about 1/4" in diameter and grow tall quickly. Other crowns produce stems which are as much as 1/2" in diameter and grow more slowly. I assumed the thinner stems are produced from crowns which are less mature than the crowns producing thicker stems. I was wrong. I have now learned asparagus crowns are either male or female with the female crowns always producing the thin stems and the male crowns producing the thicker stems. I prefer the thicker stems. I'm thinking about digging the female crowns up and replacing them with varieties which are almost always male.

What has been your experience with asparagus and which type crown do you prefer and why?
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #2
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

The patch down in the garden is the old Mary Washington and was started a long time ago. If I had it to do over I'd go with an all male variety for two reason. First, you get bigger spears. Second, the female plants will produce seed which will cause even more female plants to grow.

Once an asparagus bed really takes hold it's really hard to dig up the plants. If you're going to switch to all male plants, I'd do it sooner than later!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There is so much that can be said about this thread.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #4
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I think that you have been given incorrect information about female plants producing thinner spears. I have an 8 year old asparagus bed which is one of the all male Jersey varieties and it produces both thick and thin spears all throughout the bed.

I also prefer the flavor of the thicker spears but I don't think that the sex of the crown has anything to do with it.

And here is a real surprise. All male varieties will also produce some seeds. 25% of the plants will be hermaphrodites meaning that they have both male and female reproductive parts.

That being said, I love my Jersey, all-male asparagus. The plants are vigorous, very productive and the taste of the spears is excellent.

Asparagus is a heavy feeder and I add compost to my bed every the Fall and I mulch with nitrogen filled grass clippings after harvest.

Last edited by brownrexx; May 4, 2019 at 10:37 PM.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Both male and female plants produce flowers. Only the female produces berries. A few articles about male vs female plants:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...gus-plants.htm

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/should...ts-104973.html
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019   #6
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I read that both male and female crowns can produce the berries, but only the female plants produce viable seed. I have three plants with volunteer asparagus growing around them. So far, they have produced only pencil sized spears. I have two plants which produce thick and thin spears. I have a few plants which produce only thin spears so far, but no viable seed. The remaining plants produce thick spears. Lots of conflicting information on the internet.

One site says any vaiety with "Jersey" in the name will probably be mostly male and will not produce seed and are much heavier producers of spears.

https://awaytogarden.com/asparagus-an-all-male-cast/
Old May 6, 2019   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I do a bit of breeding with asparagus, so I welcome both male and female plants.

If anyone at T'ville saves seed, perhaps we can talk later in the year.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019   #8
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Tormato, If you had no interest in the seed, do the female plants have any other attributes you value over the male plants?
Old May 8, 2019   #9
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I've never had much luck with the Jersey varieties. Mary Washington has been a very good producer of nice thick spears, and my bed is 40+ years old. My issues now are keeping it weeded and shade from surrounding trees.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2019   #10
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Tormato, If you had no interest in the seed, do the female plants have any other attributes you value over the male plants?

My main breeding female (the only "UC72" plant of about a dozen to survive my winters), sends up about 8 stalks. I usually eat about 6 of them.

But no, there are likely no attributes that I value over male plants. The birds value the seed, at times, from the female plants.

Since asparagus is a long term investment, 20 years or more for productive plants, initial planning is wise. A very well draining location, soil amendments, plant spacing, etc...are recommended. As for varieties, maybe finding an asparagusville type web site would help in your selection. I've heard good things about Millenium, but have no idea if it's suitable for your area.

If I found "THE" variety that had everything I was looking for in taste, size, etc..., I would have no problem in growing 2X the number of plants I wanted, waiting for the sex to show, and then digging up the females and replacing them with males. It's a long term deal.
Old May 8, 2019   #11
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Any comments on purple asparagus? I found it sweeter tasting than the green, at least raw.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2019   #12
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I plan on identifying my best producing crowns this year. Next year, I plan on covering them with some light proof tents and see how well i like white asparagus.
Old May 8, 2019   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
I plan on identifying my best producing crowns this year. Next year, I plan on covering them with some light proof tents and see how well i like white asparagus.
The normal method is called blanching.
Not to be confused with blanching in water.
It is where you pile soil or some other thing like compost around the growing tips as the come out of the soil.

You can also do this with bamboo.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2019   #14
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
Any comments on purple asparagus? I found it sweeter tasting than the green, at least raw.
Sweeter is what I hear.

With my crosses from 2 years ago, seed started last year, half of my plants are green and half are purple. Next year, stalks should be large enough to cut.
Old May 8, 2019   #15
Waiting
Tomatovillian™

Interesting thread.
Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote