Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 4, 2019   #16
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaJo View Post
Thanks Salt! I’m trying to find the Genus/Species name...
I’m growing Butternut Bush,too. I can yank it out and replant if it will cross with Gailla Nostrale! The Butternut is C.Moshata,but I don’t know the Nostrale

From what I've read, Gialla Nostrale is C. pepo. So, there's no need to worry about crossing with the Butternut. Hopefully neighbors aren't growing any pepos.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #17
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Tormato!
I’m wanting this to be successful so I can share seeds. This variety seems very hard to come by and not that much info on it.
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #18
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

From 2012 through 2016, 'Nash' bush bean was one of my go-to beans. It was a kick butt bean machine I bought from Shumway. Then they discontinued it. I looked for more online and found that the guy who provided them stopped growing them. Couldn't find them anywhere.

I found nine leftover Nash seeds still in their 2016 packet in the bottom of my seed box! As far as I know it's the last of these seeds so I planted them today in three 3 gallon buckets, 3 seeds to the bucket. I hope they germinate so I can save the seed later on and get my bean machine back!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #19
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Precious because they're virtually unknown in the US:
Colgar 100
Ramallet Establimenst
Ramallet Mugro
Ramallet Santa Maria

Precious because they will be fun for me to grow:
Velvet Red
Dark Galaxy

Precious because only one germinated:
Fish Lake Oxheart
Maglia Rosa
Neves Azorean Red

Precious because they're my own crossbreeding success:
RAE-56-4, # 1-13.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019   #20
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Ramallet Mallorguin Pequenito. Excellent taste, cherry number one for me. In 2017 I took the seeds and next year I found that the seeds were not clean. Cross with another Ramallet. I have only four older seeds from the original seeds and I hope that I can get the right plants, fruits and seeds.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019   #21
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Precious because they're virtually unknown in the US:
Colgar 100
Ramallet Establimenst
Ramallet Mugro
Ramallet Santa Maria

Precious because they will be fun for me to grow:
Velvet Red
Dark Galaxy

Precious because only one germinated:
Fish Lake Oxheart
Maglia Rosa
Neves Azorean Red

Precious because they're my own crossbreeding success:
RAE-56-4, # 1-13.

You've reminded me of another precious seed, Fish Lake Oxheart Red. After many years of trialing FLO (where the grower who sent seed didn't know the color, but they all turned out pink), a T'ville member hunted down FLO Red for me. I hope to find out if it really is the red version.

As for FLO (pink), I have about 5,000 seeds.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019   #22
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Aloha,
I have waited to post this, until I was sure it was true.
My most precious seedling is hands down... Mat Su Express.
I'm a big fan of AKMark and his determination to do things correctly. And yes, I wrote seedling. I had trouble germinating the other seeds. I was heartbroken, but after looking at my seeds from a SASE gift. I found one seed hiding in the corner of the tiny plastic bag. I waited and waited, then it germinated . So, yes it is my most precious seed.
Thanks and go go Mat Su
Tom
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2019   #23
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

because I have only one seedling:
Garnet
Indigo Cherry Drops
Ramallet Ibiza Blanca

because they are new to me and intriguing:
Rosa di Benevento (from Portland Seedhouse)
Green Bee and other hybrids from Fred Hempel
Karma varieties
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #24
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Robert, Medovaya Kaplya is listed on J&L's website. If you search under Honey Drop, there are other sellers too. It looks really nice and I think I may have some from an old mmmm, must organize for next year then I can try and share!

@ Rattail Radish
Mentioned in a thread last year. Note to self to research. Planted and forgot and got weeded over. Good reminder to try these again. Available from Seed Savers. Is saving seeds tricky?

Precious seed is a salvia from mmmm. So pretty and love watching for hummers - never saw this plant in a garden center!

- Lisa

I read RatTail Radish is considered to be the Don Juan of plants. It readily crosses with any radish in the area. Very difficult to save pure seed. There was no information on what the offspring might potentially be like.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2019   #25
coryvp
Tomatovillian™

My most precious seed is currently maturing inside the fruits on 4 dwarf tomato varieties. My dad had asked me to start some tomatoes for him this winter, which I did. He was hospitalized for 2 weeks in March with pneumonia and some heart trouble, then got out on April 1st. I went to visit him on April 5th and took him his tomato plants. We built a raised bed for them, filled it with soil, and planted and caged them. It was a good day, and it turned out to be the last we'd ever spend together because he died unexpectedly, 3 days later, at age 61.

Since then, I've protected those plants like the Secret Service protects the President, determined to collect and save the seeds from that day.
coryvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2019   #26
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Default Most Precious Seed

So sorry about your father's passing. Very sad, but what a great legacy that you have in these plants.

I have some vining 'September Field Peas' that have been passed down to me from my father. They grow 4-5 feet tall and are a delicious small brown field pea. He grew them every year for about 50 years. He died 26 years ago at age 76. I treasure these seed and grow them every year.
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019   #27
coryvp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedgreen51 View Post
So sorry about your father's passing. Very sad, but what a great legacy that you have in these plants.

I have some vining 'September Field Peas' that have been passed down to me from my father. They grow 4-5 feet tall and are a delicious small brown field pea. He grew them every year for about 50 years. He died 26 years ago at age 76. I treasure these seed and grow them every year.
That's great! I've always wished I'd had something like that passed down through the family from years back. My great-great grandpa was a dedicated tomato gardener, but he died 8 years before I was born, and his seeds went down that same path. This will be my chance to be the one who starts the passing, I guess.

Because I wasn't planning on saving seeds from my Dad's tomatoes, not knowing what was coming 72 hours later, they were planted very close together in the small raised bed (the plants are all touching, branching into each other). So I'm hoping we ended up with some cross pollination that I can work with for a few years to end up with a different variety that's all ours--I could try to force it myself, but this time of year in Texas, the deck is stacked even higher against it working. But one way or another, I'll have seeds that'll carry the memory of that day forward for me.
coryvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019   #28
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, the tomato pump is a very productive multiflora, maybe the tomato a little small for my taste, right now it is in optimal conditions after 12 months. Vladimir I have many pump seeds, I will send you with pleasure.
Nico

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019   #29
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
You've reminded me of another precious seed, Fish Lake Oxheart Red. After many years of trialing FLO (where the grower who sent seed didn't know the color, but they all turned out pink), a T'ville member hunted down FLO Red for me. I hope to find out if it really is the red version.

As for FLO (pink), I have about 5,000 seeds.
I got FLO from Carolyn Male back in 2012 and grew it three times. It was always RED and I didn't even know that a PINK version was out there until Steve (Heritage Seeds) sent me some and I verified the two different colors. I still sell the RED version on Heritage Seed Market. Let me know if you need some seeds to get "restarted".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019   #30
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

And, as for precious seeds, I have the one I named Maiden's Gold that was handed down thru the family from my grandpa and came to be with me after my father's passing. But I also have the one I developed and named for my dad - Pappy's Dream. And also the one I developed and named for my mom - Mammaw's Treat. They are all precious to me because they are my compliment to my family.

This year I may have advanced another to release point. It will be named "Judy's Big Heart" as an honor to my wife of more than 55 years. And, lastly, there is one other that is special. One of the dwarf varieties I've been working with is the "Loopy Family". From that effort, I have named one for my dear friend Clara's grandson. "Henry's Sunshine" might make its debut this year.

So, what makes a seed precious? It's all about the meaning it has for you as the holder of that seed. To one person, it might mean only another slicer tomato that tastes pretty good. But to someone else, it might bring back memories of family, or of a special taste, or a special event, or just a really great gardening season. Whatever it is for you, that's what's precious.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote