Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old January 12, 2019   #16
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Wow. Great summary.

For Maglia Rosa and Lucky Tiger you indicate "store bought". What does that mean. Did you use seed from fruits that you got at the store?

If that is the case, what kind of store is selling Maglia Rosa and Lucky Tiger?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019   #17
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
Great photos!

Just a quick question: In one of the last posts, you mention KBX. But your initial post only mentions BKX. Did you grow both or just one?

Thanks Doug, my mistake, it's BKX not KBX, fixed it
Banadoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019   #18
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Wow. Great summary.

For Maglia Rosa and Lucky Tiger you indicate "store bought". What does that mean. Did you use seed from fruits that you got at the store?

If that is the case, what kind of store is selling Maglia Rosa and Lucky Tiger?
Store bought as in I bought the plants from a nursery, they had quite a few of your varieties for sale (as plants). I did save seed from the fruits so the 2019 plants will be grown from seed.

Looking forward to growing Madera and Green Bee this year, hope they're as productive!
Old January 12, 2019   #19
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Marhaba Banadoura,

Good to see your post, very nice pictures and review. Bravo.

I gotta admit, when I saw these pitiful seedlings, I wondered why you were bothering. But what a nice surprise and comeback some of them made. Tomato plants can be so tough, I admire your optimism and persistence. As the French say,"tout est bien qui finit bien."

I've been in similar situations, and believe that in our climate (and you're north of me), one can start new seeds in April and still have time to plant out and get healthy and big plants. I always start very early, because we're eager to shake the winter blues. But then follow up with new batches in April. Later seedlings and plantings always catch up, and sometimes last longer/later in the season. Best of all worlds is to have early batches (to get in the game) and still grow a later batch for backups.

First fruit June 23 is good indeed. I like your raised beds, and the white fence seems to add light and heat.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Taboule

Last edited by taboule; January 13, 2019 at 05:05 PM.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #20
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

Ya Hala Taboule

I have to admit that I had very low expectations when I transplanted these dying plants. It felt great to see them bounce back.

I, like you, love to start early as it's one way of dealing with the winter blues(I hate winter). First batch starts on March 1st and other waves follow until April 1st.

First fruit on June 23rd is a historical record for me and I think I can reproduce it by starting Maglia Rosa in the first wave. The plant would see two transplants before it goes in the garden, the end result would be well worth the effort if it works.

Happy new year to you and your family too!

Wish you a bountiful 2019
Old January 13, 2019   #21
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your great pics and informative reviews. Seeing other people's trials and tribulations is always inspiring. Helps me with personal selections too!

Last edited by hl2601; January 13, 2019 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2019   #22
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Thanks for your great pics and informative reviews. Seeing other people's trials and tribulations is always inspiring. Helps me with personal selections too!
My pleasure!