Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old April 11, 2014   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default covering a cover crop with a tarp

I want to cover my garden 12'x12' with a tarp so the cover crop will die back,but it's been raining every week.Can you still do this with the garden wet?Or should you wait for a few sunny days which we have a so few?I was hoping to get this done 4 weeks before planting.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2014   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I think you are shortly going to run out of time. I'm going to guess that after the first week the conditions under the tarp aren't going to be much different whether you start realatively dry or relatively wet.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2014   #3
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

We plant around Memorial Day,so I have 6 weeks but we have had almost 70 inches of snow this winter, that's 12 inches over average and we're having a very wet spring so far.What's in store for our summer?????I was hoping to warm up the garden with the cover in place but don't know what problems might happen if it's to wet.I guess I should wait and just mow it down before planting.
Old April 11, 2014   #4
creister
Tomatovillian™

Why not just cut it down?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2014   #5
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

It has to dry out first and it's raining again today!
Old April 11, 2014   #6
creister
Tomatovillian™

You should have time, I usually cut mine, let it dry, rake it back, amend soil and then put the cover crop residue back on the soil as a mulch.
Old April 11, 2014   #7
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

They're calling for sunny skies and near 70 the next two days before more rain comes back.I'll check it Sunday if the weather stays nice.
Old April 11, 2014   #8
creister
Tomatovillian™

Some people cut and till in their cover crop as a green manure. I do the mulch thing because I do not till. Good Luck.
Old April 11, 2014   #9
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

That's what I'm thinking of doing.I don't have a tiller and turning the cover crop is rather hard on my back.No till seems like the best thing for the soil.I can cut it back with the mower and plant,then mulch.I think I can get a couple bales of alfalfa hay to use a thick layer of mulch.I was also thinking of a tarp to kill off the cover crop while warming the soil at the same time.That way I could mulch right a way.
Old April 12, 2014   #10
creister
Tomatovillian™

That sounds like a good plan. I've done no till for several years. My soil is friable and loose with plenty of worms. I always use thick mulch which I think is key for no till to work. Send us some rain we sure need it.
Old April 12, 2014   #11
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I just saw on the weather channel you might have some rain coming your way,but I can't take credit for that.LOL.
Old April 12, 2014   #12
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

When I said that you'll shortly run out of time is that I figure it will take a minimum of two weeks to kill the cover crop, then you have to prepare the soil. I also assumed that you would be planting stuff besides tomatoes that can go out in early to mid may.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2014   #13
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Peppers,basil,tomatoes,eggplant,cucumbers.
Old May 17, 2014   #14
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Took the tarp off last weekend after it was on for two weeks,looks like things went rather well.We had a few days with 80 degree weather and about 3" of rain!It's been cool the last few days with a high around 55 today.Welcome to NE Ohio.Hope to get my plants next weekend,tomato and peppers and plant on Memorial Day.I'm going to give the ground a couple weeks to warm up,then mulch with straw.I have grass clippings covering the garden and breaking down nicely.
Old May 18, 2014   #15
creister
Tomatovillian™

Glad to know it is working well. I bet when you plant out, there will be a large amount of earthworms in there.