Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 11, 2019   #646
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

PlainJane, Thanks. Spooky, Congrats.
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2019   #647
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Bloody Butcher

Today.....prolific plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0517191454.jpg (222.1 KB, 134 views)
Old May 17, 2019   #648
PlainJane

Nice, Spooky!
Old May 17, 2019   #649
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I can't wait to taste one. Depending on who you ask on this site it's either a good tasting tomato or a mediocre one.
Old May 18, 2019   #650
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Fruit set has slowed, but ripening is at maximum. Big Beef and Stupice are ripe, and Creole is at first blush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190516_112331.jpg (507.0 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 20190518_100828.jpg (151.6 KB, 120 views)
Old May 18, 2019   #651
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
Fruit set has slowed, but ripening is at maximum. Big Beef and Stupice are ripe, and Creole is at first blush.
Nice!
Going to be wicked hot next week; good luck!
Old May 18, 2019   #652
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Yes thanks, same to you!
Old May 18, 2019   #653
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyShoe View Post
Today.....prolific plant.
Nice! We are having unprecedented wet and cool weather here near the Sacto Valley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190517_115903.jpg (506.2 KB, 121 views)
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019   #654
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

I really enjoy seeing the pictures of others' tomato plants. Lots of container growing. A good idea if nematodes are present or soil is less than ideal.
Old May 20, 2019   #655
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Creole

Today...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0520191556.jpg (309.8 KB, 101 views)
Old May 20, 2019   #656
PlainJane

Looking good!
Old May 21, 2019   #657
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

I think this years test possibly demonstrates the advantage of an OP that has acclimatized to conditions and climate over the years.

The Gardeners Delight has far more leaf mass, looks much healthier and appears to have outgrown the hybrid Sungold F1.

I think it is the cold nights and cold ground, the F1 has never seen such bad conditions but the GD is used to these conditions and so thrives more.

That is my theory anyway.

GD are the 5 on the left. SG all the back and right side

On a side note the 4 in the larger size pots are the same age as the side and back ones, just that they were transplanted a month later and were pot bound.

test.jpg

GD

test2.jpg

SG

test 3.jpg

Last edited by xellos99; May 21, 2019 at 09:15 AM.
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019   #658
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Looking good, Xellos.
Old May 23, 2019   #659
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Spooky, nice Creoles. They did well for me last year. However they had to make way for some new ones I wanted to try this year. Sigh. And you sure are right about using containers to avoid nematodes.

Xellos, those tomatoes are really coming along quickly. Doesn't seem long ago they were just little things in the buckets. I have grown Gardener's Delight before and they do have heavier foliage than Sungold. Boy, you sure are going to have a bumper crop of cherries!

Here are the ten tomatoes up by the house with dill and a Millionaire eggplant down at the far end. Old Juliet at the far right always gets big quickly!

This is the Red Siberian, one of this year's new-to-me varieties. It was started two weeks ahead of the others and is the first to start setting little ones:

The other five tomatoes and the three tomatillos are in the "garden stretcher", a previously open area of the garden now devoted to tomatoes and anything else that needs a home.

When I took the same pic from the other end of the row, a mockingbird zoomed in and sat on a cage staring hard at me. She's sitting on a cage in the upper right corner of the photo.

I looked at her and then remembered that not five feet behind me was a crape myrtle that she has a nest in. You can see it along the fence in the previous shot, far right. So I took the shot and then quietly walked away. At least I didn't get dive-bombed! Not even scolded. I think she knows I'm in love with her songs.

One thing that puzzles me is the difference in size between the ten tomatoes by the house and the five in the garden. The ten are at least a foot taller than their garden buddies. All started the same day (except for the Red Siberian), all transplanted out the same day. The only thing I can think of is that the ones by the house get shade from mid afternoon on while the garden ones are in full hot sun all day. It should be interesting to see if there's any difference in overall production.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019   #660
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Spooky, nice Creoles. They did well for me last year. However they had to make way for some new ones I wanted to try this year. Sigh. And you sure are right about using containers to avoid nematodes.

Xellos, those tomatoes are really coming along quickly. Doesn't seem long ago they were just little things in the buckets. I have grown Gardener's Delight before and they do have heavier foliage than Sungold. Boy, you sure are going to have a bumper crop of cherries!

Here are the ten tomatoes up by the house with dill and a Millionaire eggplant down at the far end. Old Juliet at the far right always gets big quickly!

This is the Red Siberian, one of this year's new-to-me varieties. It was started two weeks ahead of the others and is the first to start setting little ones:

The other five tomatoes and the three tomatillos are in the "garden stretcher", a previously open area of the garden now devoted to tomatoes and anything else that needs a home.

When I took the same pic from the other end of the row, a mockingbird zoomed in and sat on a cage staring hard at me. She's sitting on a cage in the upper right corner of the photo.

I looked at her and then remembered that not five feet behind me was a crape myrtle that she has a nest in. You can see it along the fence in the previous shot, far right. So I took the shot and then quietly walked away. At least I didn't get dive-bombed! Not even scolded. I think she knows I'm in love with her songs.

One thing that puzzles me is the difference in size between the ten tomatoes by the house and the five in the garden. The ten are at least a foot taller than their garden buddies. All started the same day (except for the Red Siberian), all transplanted out the same day. The only thing I can think of is that the ones by the house get shade from mid afternoon on while the garden ones are in full hot sun all day. It should be interesting to see if there's any difference in overall production.
That is strange, you would think the ones in full sun all day would be bigger.
I also have shade for most of the afternoon because there is a large tree in the way.
I always wished that the tree was not there because I wanted full sun all day with no shade so that they would grow faster.
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote