Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 14, 2019   #736
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
For me, the $21.95 price comes up as a quart

and the normal $39.95 price for the gallon.

It gave an error when I tried the link.
That is what I found too.
It said chose quarts above or gallons below.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...jKKBSXatjKNMti
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019   #737
PlainJane

Yes, looks like I got so excited I didn’t even realize it said quarts and not gallons. That’ll larn me!
Old May 14, 2019   #738
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

Guilty as charged.
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019   #739
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The pictuer looks like a gallon container and I thought it was some time ago too.
Old May 15, 2019   #740
budfaux
Tomatovillian™

I've got a gallon each of TTF and vegetable food due to arrive today.
Need some input: I've got 10 ollas buried between several tomato plants. These are simple clay pots I purchased at Home Depot and Lowes. I plugged the bottom holes with hot glue and am using plates from the Dollar Tree to put on top of the pots. The pots hold just under a gallon of water. So far so good. I've refilled about 3-4 times so far, when the level drops from two to five inches. It's a slow transfer from inside the pot to the soil so far, but expect this to amp up quite a bit when summer starts to settle in. Heavy straw mulch on top is keeping the soil cool.
Do y'all reckon TTF would transfer through the ollas with the same potency as through hand watering? I like the idea of a slow absorption of nutrients as the plants receive their moisture, but am wondering if the clay will prevent all of the fertilizer to reach the roots.
budfaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2019   #741
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Default Improved Fruit Set

I am dripping Urban Farms Vegetable Fertilizer and TTF, I thought it would be fun to setup a drip line and I thought dripping would be the best way to deliver the fertilizer, to maximize the availability of the fertilizer to the plants.

My plants are setting fruit and growing large tomatoes, the best results I have had in six years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190601_082125.jpg (751.2 KB, 243 views)
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2019   #742
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfaux View Post
Need some input: I've got 10 ollas buried between several tomato plants. These are simple clay pots I purchased at Home Depot and Lowes. I plugged the bottom holes with hot glue and am using plates from the Dollar Tree to put on top of the pots. The pots hold just under a gallon of water. So far so good. I've refilled about 3-4 times so far, when the level drops from two to five inches. It's a slow transfer from inside the pot to the soil so far, but expect this to amp up quite a bit when summer starts to settle in. Heavy straw mulch on top is keeping the soil cool.
Do y'all reckon TTF would transfer through the ollas with the same potency as through hand watering? I like the idea of a slow absorption of nutrients as the plants receive their moisture, but am wondering if the clay will prevent all of the fertilizer to reach the roots.
I would say it’s chancy. Since TTF is expensive I’d water it on directly.
Old June 1, 2019   #743
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I would think the fine grained clay would act as a filter and stop up eventually.
Or the nutrients would settle to the bottom.
But who am I to know.
Experiment with some one way and some the other and then you can tell for sure pretty fast.
Old June 1, 2019   #744
budfaux
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies. I did think the clay might act as a filter, so I'm sticking with hand watering the TTF for now. Mighty dry here... the ollas seem to keep a consistent damp environment under a thick mulch. I've got a renewed appreciation for Texas Tomato Food.
budfaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2019   #745
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rumor View Post
I am dripping Urban Farms Vegetable Fertilizer and TTF, I thought it would be fun to setup a drip line and I thought dripping would be the best way to deliver the fertilizer, to maximize the availability of the fertilizer to the plants.

My plants are setting fruit and growing large tomatoes, the best results I have had in six years.
Curious minds want to know how you keep that HD bucket from falling over?

Glad that VF and TTF are working well for you.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2019   #746
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I did think the clay might act as a filter, so I'm sticking with hand watering the TTF for now. Mighty dry here... the ollas seem to keep a consistent damp environment under a thick mulch. I've got a renewed appreciation for Texas Tomato Food.
So not even experimenting with one? How are they working re: water usage? I guess no reason why they couldn't be used in a container.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2019   #747
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Curious minds want to know how you keep that HD bucket from falling over?

Glad that VF and TTF are working well for you.
I do not keep the bucket from falling over when it is empty BTW it is a Lowes bucket, chose the blue bucket to help reduce algae
When the bucket is full of water it is generally stable,
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2019   #748
hovermother22
Tomatovillian™

I bought both Texas Tomato Food and Texas Vegetable Food. I have been using the vegetable food for the young plants, and my tomato plants look greener and healthier than they ever have before. When I transplant them into the ground, should I start using the tomato food? And how often should I fertilize? I have been picking off flowers; the plants are pretty big at this point. We have had such cold and rainy weather here in Chicago, I haven't been able to plant yet. I use a two-gallon watering can for fertilizing. Should I fertilize them once a week, and maybe two tablespoons per two-gallons of water? And one gallon of the mixture per each plant when I fertilize? Sorry, I'm just not that good at this stuff, the ratios and the math.
hovermother22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2019   #749
PlainJane

If your soil is pretty fertile then I’d start using the veggie formula about 2 weeks after planting and about every other week after that. I tend to fertilize more frequently at reduced strength, but I’m growing in containers in a 5-1-1 mix. Use the veggie formula until you get flowers, then switch to the tomato formula. TTF is great stuff!
Old June 7, 2019   #750
hovermother22
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much!
hovermother22 is offline   Reply With Quote