Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old August 19, 2021   #31
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

That's a big disappointment for you GoDawgs. Not sure why they would keep dropping leaves like that, in pots with a decent mix I think it would be hard to over water, I know I have had mine nearly swimming at times but as long as the water could drain they were fine. Sun level sounds good.

Understand towel being thrown, probably safer than some of the things I'd throw.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2021   #32
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Well, the two plants would each push out several leaves and when the leaves got about 8" wide they'd yellow up and die. This went on all late spring/summer. No type of spray would prevent it the problem or protect the foliage. First one plant died. Then in early July the other looked like it had finally caught hold, had healthy foliage on it (about four stalks/leaves) and then it too died.

They were in 15 gallon pots and I tried to not over or under water them. They had about 6 hours of sun a day so they wouldn't cook.

That's it. I'm throwing in the towel. No more rhubarb experiments.

Dangit!
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2021   #33
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Default Rhubarb Update August 2021

Two rhubarb survivors that I attempted to germinate last December. The larger plant in the 12" pot was transplanted into this pot several months ago seems to be growing well. Mix in the pot is 2/3 soil conditioner and 1/3 Black Cow manure with a touch of Tomato Tone topped with somewhat rotted straw. Mixture drains well, gets morning sun and afternoon mottled shade.

Smaller plant was transplanted into the ground (needs to be weeded) was doing well until this last week of torrential rains and I think it is now waterlogged. Transplanted today into a pot with the same mixture and placed it in the shade to see if it will recover.

Like GoDawgs, I believe unless these survive over the winter I too will abandon the "experiment".
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2021   #34
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Default Rhubarb Pics

August rhubarb pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 ruhbarb.jpg (168.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 1 ruhbarb 2.jpg (176.2 KB, 68 views)
Old August 30, 2021   #35
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

MB, that pic of the one in the ground looks like the problem mine had in the 15 gal bucket.

BTW, that Heavy Hitter okra hasn't hit so heavy. In fact, the Choppee is outproducing it. And the HH doesn't start producing really low on the plant as advertised. I'm wondering if it's just really unstable and that the guy's seed doesn't come true to the big-producing plants he's collecting from. Or if the whole HH thing is a myth.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2023   #36
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Default Rhubarb in Container update

February was cleaning out beds for spring and almost emptied the container the rhubarb was in. Brushed away all the dried leaves and what was there but a tiny green rhubarb bud! Still in the container in the shade and has 3 leaves with 6" stalks! Survived the winter with numerous days below freezing.

Anyone with rhubarb seeds willing to share I would love to try another batch. DM me.

MB
Old April 1, 2023   #37
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

I don't have seed but I could send you roots if interested. I'd have to dig around a bit to see what I have.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2023   #38
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

That's so sweet, Amen!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote