Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old September 4, 2020   #16
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsee View Post
Don't forget to fertilize Rhubarb, as they'll thrive on a good feed of dry animal manure.
Mine have certainly gotten huge now that they were planted adjacent to the compost pile.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2020   #17
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyBuckets View Post
Would like to try rhubarb in containers this fall. Have tomato, pepper and okra seeds for trade. This year's garden was a bust in NC Piedmont region with early torrential rains and then scorching 90* days, not much productivity at all. Ready to rip everything out, till and get ready for next season.
Check your PM.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2020   #18
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
Could well be the case GoDawgs. Just been trying to get a handle on your daily temps at this time of year and from what I can see your maximums are fairly consistent with long term averages being not much lower than daily maximums, coupled with high humidity.

From what I see I get temps that can be 20 to 25F higher than your maximums in your hottest months, but then we get a cold front come through and drop the temperature significantly. This cycle can run over a two week period, sometimes a bit longer, sometimes a bit shorter but temps will peak at anything upto 110F but then drop to maximums in the mid 60F range, sometimes even lower. Our humidity is generally low and with combinations of 100plusF and 10% humidity, the plants love it as long as the ground under them has plenty of water in it.
Yes, our max July-Sep averages in the low 90's, sprinkled with 7-10 day streaks of 97-100. Average summer lows are around 71, humidity in the 50-70% range. It doesn't really start cooling off until November-Feb when highs cool down to mid 60's, lows average around 40 and a few cold snaps in the upper 20's-low 30's. come visit.

I think I'm going to plant the three rhubarb plants in a 15 gal bucket, maybe all three in one and if they survive, repot them each to their own bucket.
Old September 4, 2020   #19
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

GoDawgs, if you can, it maybe beneficial to place pot where it's shaded in the afternoon. When I had the plants where they got afternoon shade is when they performed at their best. Stems upto 20oz on the largest variety
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2020   #20
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
GoDawgs, if you can, it maybe beneficial to place pot where it's shaded in the afternoon. When I had the plants where they got afternoon shade is when they performed at their best. Stems upto 20oz on the largest variety
That's what I've been thinking too. Thanks for the affirmation! I think where I've been growing the tomatoes this year would be perfect for the hot weather times. I'm also thinking that once it cools off they can take full sun all day. Thoughts?
Old September 9, 2020   #21
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
That's what I've been thinking too. Thanks for the affirmation! I think where I've been growing the tomatoes this year would be perfect for the hot weather times. I'm also thinking that once it cools off they can take full sun all day. Thoughts?
Yes, once the worst of your heat and humidity have gone full sun should not be a problem. Mine gets full sun all year round and while it is struggling a bit, it is because I have not been weeding the patch of late and it needs a good feed.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2020   #22
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Yes, our max July-Sep averages in the low 90's, sprinkled with 7-10 day streaks of 97-100. Average summer lows are around 71, humidity in the 50-70% range. It doesn't really start cooling off until November-Feb when highs cool down to mid 60's, lows average around 40 and a few cold snaps in the upper 20's-low 30's. come visit.

I think I'm going to plant the three rhubarb plants in a 15 gal bucket, maybe all three in one and if they survive, repot them each to their own bucket.

I wouldn't plant all three together, they need more space than that, they may grow bit I am pretty sure they would be puny.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2020   #23
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Rhubarb Update

Just an update on the rhubarb:

Three rhubarbs were started from seed on July 4th and you can really see the diversity of open pollinated plants. The one on the left in a 15 gallon pot really outpaced the other two in growth speed. The one on the right in a 10 gallon pot is more compact, slower growing and the stalks are already tinged with red whereas the bigger one's stalks are light green. The third one isn't feeling well and needs to recover before being planted out. Rhubarb doesn't like wet feet and I almost killed that third one with too much water, I think.

I ought to start more seeds.
Old September 14, 2020   #24
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Red Rhubarb is not nearly as vigorous as regular, at least here. Three different sources of red so far, always dogs. No difference in taste that I can tell either. Just a lot less of it.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2020   #25
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I hope you succeed. I want to follow in your footsteps!
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2020   #26
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Default Finally Rhubarb Growing From Seed

Finally, had one good start from ~14 seeds provided by another generous TV member. This looks like it will make it. Lots of "no sprouts" and "didn't germinate". Happy! Suggestions on up potting, temps, hardening off, or just keeping it alive. Temps here in Piedmont of NC hovering and below freezing at night anf high 40s in daytime. Lots of winter to come until March.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rhubarb.jpg (97.3 KB, 96 views)
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2021   #27
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

That must be why there were so many seeds in my pack! Glad you got some to germinate. I think I had 4 or 5 seeds in each of the four pots. Got none up in one pot, two up in another and just one seedling in the others.

Of the three that came up, one died and the other two are now outside and dormant. Now to see if they wake up come spring.
Old January 19, 2021   #28
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Default Rhubarb Update

This is the plant today (1/19) from the previous pic. Dropped a leaf and is getting quite leggy. Fingers crossed for survival planting out in April. Any advice on potting up since it may be getting root bound?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rhubarb-1.19.jpg (95.4 KB, 68 views)
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2021   #29
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Mine would drop a leaf now and then too. In the fall mine was about that size and living on the front porch. When I took them out of the pots to check the roots, it seemed OK to just pot them up in a three gallon. That was in September and it's been out there dormant all winter since it's supposed to get chill hours. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they put out new growth in the spring.

My seeds weren't started until July but this year I'm going to start more indoors in March so they have all spring, summer and fall to grow before winter comes again.
Old August 18, 2021   #30
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Well, the two plants would each push out several leaves and when the leaves got about 8" wide they'd yellow up and die. This went on all late spring/summer. No type of spray would prevent it the problem or protect the foliage. First one plant died. Then in early July the other looked like it had finally caught hold, had healthy foliage on it (about four stalks/leaves) and then it too died.

They were in 15 gallon pots and I tried to not over or under water them. They had about 6 hours of sun a day so they wouldn't cook.

That's it. I'm throwing in the towel. No more rhubarb experiments.