Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 10, 2021   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default 2021 Grow List Of Non-Tomato Veg

Here's the rest of the stuff going into the garden, some of which are full 18' rows, half rows or just a few here and there for succession planting. There are several fun-sounding "toys" as I always have to have a few to play with. They're usually from Baker Creek. Too tempting.

Asparagus, Conover's Colossal - A few more 6-packs to add to the existing planting
Bean, Bush, Blue Lake
Bean, Bush, Contender
Bean, Pole, Blue Lake
Bean, Pole, King of the Garden
Bean, Yardlong, Stickless Wonder - new toy, supposedly just 30” tall requiring no support. Hmmm…
Broccoli, Chinese Yod Fah - new toy, asparagus-like spears
Broccoli, Green Goliath
Broccoli, Packman
Cabbage, Early Golden Acre
Cabbage, Early Jersey Wakefield - usually grow Charleston Wakefield but couldn’t get the seed.
Cabbage, Stonehead
Carrot, Bolero
Carrot, Danvers
Carrot, Envy
Carrot, Napoli
Cauliflower Rober - trying this for spring as it supposedly holds up to temp swings. Will still do Amazing in the fall as it works!
Collards, Vates
Corn, Early Pink Popcorn - new to me
Corn, Seneca Sunrise – new to me, being developed by Seed Treasures
Corn, Silver Queen
Cucumber, National Pickling
Eggplant, Chinese String – new toy, 10-15” very thin, can be picked early when they’re like string beans. (?)
Eggplant, Millionaire
Garlic, Lorz Italian Softneck - all garlics were planted this past fall and are growing now.
Garlic, Mixed, Maiskij amnd Shilla - my bad for not labeling properly!
Garlic, Siberian
Garlic, Russian Inferno
Garlic, WalMart grocery section – just had to plant a few. The bulbs had nice large cloves with very few little ones in the middle.
Jerusalem Artichokes – trying again after last year’s planting died early.
Kale, Premier
Kohlrabi,Kolibri - new to me and will compare to the Blauer Spec I've been growing lately
Leek, King Sieg - trying leeks again after having failed at it about 7 years ago.
Okra, Choppee
Okra, Heavy Hitter – new to me and will grow alongside Choppee, which did very well last year.
Onion, Australian Brown – all onions planted last fall, growing now
Onion, Texas 1015Y Supersweet
Onion, White Creole
Onion, Scallion, Shimonita - started the seeds this week in a pot for transplant in about 2 months
Pea, Field, Big Red Ripper
Pea, Wando
Pepper, Gypsy
Pepper, Jalapeno M
Pepper, Margaret's - freebie coming in
Pepper, Prairie Spice – new to me, given by a friend
Pepper, Red Marconi
Pepper, Rooster Spur – new to me, given by a friend
Potatoes, Yukon Gold
Potatoes, Kennebec
Radish, Daikon, Minowase
Radish, D'Avignon
Radish, French Breakfast
Radish, Opolanka
Radish, Phil. White Box
Rhubarb, Victoria Homestead - we’ll see if it survived the winter and if it grows.
Squash, Sum., Straightneck Yellow
Squash, Sum/Win, Zuch.Rampicante
Squash, Spaghetti, Small Wonder
Squash, Tahitian Butternut - another new toy
Squash, Zucchini - whatever the feed & seed has
Swt Potato, Jewel - going to trellis the row this year for grins and giggles.
Tomato, micro Birdie Rouge
Tomato, micro Chibikko
Tomato, micro Groovy Tunes
Tomato, micro Gelbe Topftomate
Tomato, micro, Jochalos
Tomato, micro, Lille Lise
Tomato, micro Pinocchio Orange
Tomato, micro Whippersnapper
Tomato, micro, Red Robin
Turnips, Purple Top
Watermelon, Black Diamond
Watermelon, Charleston Gray
Watermelon, Kaho – new toy, small, a “two serving” size
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2021   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

What a fantastic list. Ill have to start exploring your goodies. I do want to mention that I bought some healthy purple garlic a few years back at Wal Mart and none came up. They might not be adapted to my northern climate, and to be cautious I would approach lightly as an experiment anyway. Do you have an organic grocery nearby?

Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2021   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

A lot of interesting things on your list, I wish you a bountiful garden
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2021   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Wow Dawg you are really diving in head first. Good luck with all of that and hope you find more and more plants that work out for you. In my younger years I also went hog wild growing a lot of stuff. In my old age I prefer to stick with mostly things that have worked consistently for me and that we really enjoy eating. I now find myself slowly but surely reducing the number of plants I set out in almost everything except tomatoes and peppers. With the kids gone and aging we just don't need so much produce. I still go overboard with a few things just to make sure we will be able to enjoy them fresh but the days of picking a five gallon bucket of squash every other day are now a thing of the past. Have fun with all those plants.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2021   #5
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I also grew everything, and also what was unusual in our country. I'm like Bill now. But still, after thirty years, I started growing winter cauliflower. Because I enjoy it.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2021   #6
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Great list.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2021   #7
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

The closest thing to an organic grocery is a Publix that's 30 miles away.
Old January 15, 2021   #8
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Wow Dawg you are really diving in head first. Good luck with all of that and hope you find more and more plants that work out for you. In my younger years I also went hog wild growing a lot of stuff. In my old age I prefer to stick with mostly things that have worked consistently for me and that we really enjoy eating.
I pretty much do this much every year and have pretty much gotten the main things like cukes, etc down to what I call The A Team. I'm going to make those bold in the list below. They're mostly things that get put up. Still, I can't help wondering if some new thing is better than what I'm growing so I give 'em a whirl. And I love to play with oddball stuff, like this year's String Eggplant.

Quote:
I now find myself slowly but surely reducing the number of plants I set out in almost everything except tomatoes and peppers.
Like you, over time I've reduced the quantities of stuff getting grown. Enough to put up and some for fresh eating. That's also had the side benefit of opening up space for other things. With the staggered plantings there's no more avalanche of broccoli all at once. It's been there in quantity and then none. The staggering has extended the fresh eating time since it doesn't freeze well for me.

And although the list is long, some items are small in quantity, like three kinds of watermelons but only one hill of each. I think that Kaho melon is going to join the trellis experiment. Two eggplants but one of each.

One deletion already is the annual Silver Queen corn which I'll miss dearly. I'm having knee surgery Jan 27th and the corn plot for eight rows will take too much prep, more than I want to ask my sister to handle. But there will be the popcorn in one 18' bed and the sweet yellow Seneca Sunrise in another and those should be easy to plant.

I'm hoping that by corn, bean and cuke planting time and tomato setting out time, I'll be rehabbed enough to putter pretty good. Pickles said she can handle the early brassica plantings. Meanwhile, I'll still be starting transplants.

Edit: Hmmm, it looks like I can't edit the OP. Oh well....

Last edited by GoDawgs; January 15, 2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old January 21, 2021   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
I pretty much do this much every year and have pretty much gotten the main things like cukes, etc down to what I call The A Team. I'm going to make those bold in the list below. They're mostly things that get put up. Still, I can't help wondering if some new thing is better than what I'm growing so I give 'em a whirl. And I love to play with oddball stuff, like this year's String Eggplant.

Like you, over time I've reduced the quantities of stuff getting grown. Enough to put up and some for fresh eating. That's also had the side benefit of opening up space for other things. With the staggered plantings there's no more avalanche of broccoli all at once. It's been there in quantity and then none. The staggering has extended the fresh eating time since it doesn't freeze well for me.

And although the list is long, some items are small in quantity, like three kinds of watermelons but only one hill of each. I think that Kaho melon is going to join the trellis experiment. Two eggplants but one of each.

One deletion already is the annual Silver Queen corn which I'll miss dearly. I'm having knee surgery Jan 27th and the corn plot for eight rows will take too much prep, more than I want to ask my sister to handle. But there will be the popcorn in one 18' bed and the sweet yellow Seneca Sunrise in another and those should be easy to plant.

I'm hoping that by corn, bean and cuke planting time and tomato setting out time, I'll be rehabbed enough to putter pretty good. Pickles said she can handle the early brassica plantings. Meanwhile, I'll still be starting transplants.

Edit: Hmmm, it looks like I can't edit the OP. Oh well....
Dawg I think you might need to cut way back on your planting depending on the type of knee surgery you are having. Most take much longer to rehab than people think and the danger of re-injuring is a serious risk. I hope it is a minor surgery so you won't have your plans messed up too badly.

Good luck and hope you recover in record time.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2021   #10
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Dawg I think you might need to cut way back on your planting depending on the type of knee surgery you are having. Most take much longer to rehab than people think and the danger of re-injuring is a serious risk. I hope it is a minor surgery so you won't have your plans messed up too badly.
Good luck and hope you recover in record time.

Bill
Thanks for the good wishes, Bill. I'm an old pro at this as I had the left knee replaced in 2000 and the right in 2001. Now after all those years, I had a "revision" of the old left one Oct 2018. That's what they call replacing the whole works. The plastic disk that acts as the meniscus had gotten so thin it had shattered and ruined various surfaces.

The right knee started catching about 10 days ago. Got a fast ortho appointment and then I was able to get a surgery slot quick. Hopefully they'll just replace the disk but will be prepared to pull the whole works out and install a new one if they think they have to once they get in there. Regardless, it's "git 'er done" so I can get going sooner. I hope it's just the disk but I won't know until I wake up.

I looked at my 2018 calendar and saw that my last day of rehab after that revision was ten weeks after surgery. By then I was driving and doing light careful putters in the garden. If the same happens this time, 10 weeks out would be April 7th which would be three weeks until bean planting. I thank the good Lord every day for my sister who's "all in" with carrying on the garden duties with a little direction from me.

So next Wednesday is surgery day and four days later is the first rehab appointment.
Old February 12, 2021   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Pretty ambitious people
I. myself. like to grow variety of things
but due to age and other limitation in resources
I try to limit my wants...few peppers. tomatoes. cucorbits
few herbs ...Even then they add up
to couple of dozen this and that.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2021   #12
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Once you get "green" in your blood, there's no getting rid of it. Even if it is just planting a few of this and that, you can't rest until you do it. Life without green just doesn't seem right.