Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old June 19, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default The Garden's Getting In Gear

Still getting carrots, scallions, kale, beans and cukes. This morning's bean pickings will be converted into pickled Dilly Beans and Pickles is going to start fermenting some of the cukes. Neither of us has ever fermented cukes before.

Got the first Millionaire eggplants and Spring Treat corn yesterday. Spring Treat's a small (5' tall, 5" ears) 67 day variety that provides sweet eating before the Silver Queen's ready.

The second half of June is pretty much the time that the garden peaks and it's getting there. Here are the two sides:

I grew another spaghetti squash plant to replace the one that the nematodes killed. It's been hardening off and today it got planted in the old abandoned asparagus bed where the trombone squash is growing. The two can share the space. But it's been hardening off in recent cooler weather and now it's getting hot again so I decided to shade it. I took an old floor fan cover, attached a piece of recycled house coat with clothespins and sat that cover on top of four recycled tent pole pieces.

I'll leave it on a few days before removing it. Ya make it up as ya go along and use what ya have on hand!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2020   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Yummy looking produce and the garden looks great! Love your creative use of stuff on hand.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2020   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Whew, it's hot today with a 104 heat index going on right now. I got a lot done in the garden this morning while it was cool and have been inside all afternoon. Got two loaves of English muffin bread baked though and while the oven was hot, a tray of peanuts roasted off.

One of my projects was to run some support lines for the Colossus field peas. They'll get pretty big and rowdy so the support twine should keep them from falling into the aisles. These things are growing fast. They were just sown on the 12th!

I noticed that some deer visited last night, munching the poor sweet potato plant at the end of the row and also some of the climbing butterbean foliage in the next bed.

The corn's looking good right now and is silking away. It won't be too much longer.

The Zuchetta Rampicante or trombone squash is one of this year's toys and it's coming right along. I read that when young, it can be picked and used as summer squash or left to get real big and harvested as a winter type squash. I'm going to pick this young one and see what it tastes like.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote