Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old October 11, 2008   #1
babylark
Tomatovillian™

Default Over Wintering Lavender HELP

Maybe this belongs in the herb section, but I have a question about Wintering my lavender. I have been growing it in pots all summer. It getting to be Fall and I didn't know if I need to plant the plants, plant the pots, or move them inside and if inside should it be a garage or in the house?

I live in South Central PA (6a). My house is kinda dark inside. It's just naturally that way from the huge trees around us. Plus, the 'big' window faces East. So...not much light at all.

I would also like to know if it needs to be split or putted up larger?

THANKS!
Old October 11, 2008   #2
Leroy
Tomatovillian™

They changed my zone from 6 to 7. I have been growing a lavender outside in a pot for ten years. I water it at least once a month.

My pot is a black forklift wheel and tire sitting on pavers. It gets southern sun. I think it holds some heat.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2008   #3
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Babylark - I am in zone 5 but probably a zone 6 because of environmental conditions - I would bury the pot in a sunny location and mulch heavily as well as watering. Mine live over for a period of years but I don't think - depending on variety of course, lavendar is a particularly long lived perennial. My plants generally last about 3-5 years. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2008   #4
salix
Tomatovillian™

Zone 3 here, I keep a few lavender plants alive year after year with total neglect and no fuss about overwintering. My friend has the same plant as a short hedge. It seems to be an acclimatized cross between 'Munstead' and 'Hidcote Blue'. We believe that our success in overwintering is very good drainage (no wet feet) and a fairly reliable snow cover.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote