Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 4, 2019   #181
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondgardener View Post
Well Robert, I wish you good luck in your Fall growout. I just got my tomato plants in the ground and two of them are from the last of the original seeds I acquired from my aunt. I do admire your tenacity in working around some of the problems you have faced with your garden area. Keep it up!

George (pondgardener)
Thank you George. I still have around 12 seeds that you sent to me, so it's definitely worth trying a couple of seeds for the fall garden. The tenacity compliment is a wonderful one, and I appreciate it very much.

As I look back to when I grew those tomato plants - I remember that they grew beside Big Beef F1s, and they set fruit and matured very close to the same time.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2019   #182
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I have seeds if you would like to try one of my favorites, Estler's mortgage lifter. Another favorite of mine is Stump of the World.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2019   #183
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

omar's lebanese or mortgage lifter.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2019   #184
PlainJane

Omar’s Lebanese- now there’s a tomato.
Old June 4, 2019   #185
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default pink tomato

Stump will make you jump!
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2019   #186
Melissa S
Tomatovillian™

1884 has made it into our garden consistently. Upper left in this photo from last summer. https://photos.app.goo.gl/XN55arJzGKHvG3vq7

Last edited by Melissa S; June 14, 2019 at 09:37 AM.
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2019   #187
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Melissa, those look wonderful.
Old June 14, 2019   #188
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Very Nice! What are the gold-orange "saladettes" (lower right)? Those also look very good.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2019   #189
Melissa S
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Very Nice! What are the gold-orange "saladettes" (lower right)? Those also look very good.

-GG
Thank you both. GG, that's Jaune Flamme. Very pretty, but didn't make it into this year's planting.

Our tomato garden brings much joy to us. Last year, our first ripe tomatoes (other than cherries) were July 14. We have a fair amount of fruit set now, but not sure we will beat that date as the plants got a slow start due to an unusually wet and cool spring.

Happy tomato-ing,
Melissa
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2019   #190
shule1

My favorite pink beefsteaks for flavor (in approximate order, which could change depending on the moment) are perhaps these:
* Pruden's Purple (dark pink; favorite hamburger tomato; early for a beefsteak; heat-tolerant; hasn't been productive for me)
* Black Beauty (had excellent taste, shelf-life, fruit-size and fall production in 2017 in dry probably somewhat salty soil; has anthocyanin on pink skin/flesh; I'm trying two plants from its seeds this year in a different soil)
* Pink Cheeks (prolific and decently early for a beefsteak; great sandwich-style taste; tastes like Chapman, but it's a soft tomato, maybe a touch softer than Pruden's Purple)
* Missouri Pink Love Apple
* Malinovoe Chudo (very sweet for a large tomato; decent production; large fruits; darker pink, but a different color than Pruden's Purple; it's earlier than most beefsteaks)
* German Pink (excellent flavor for the meatiest tomato I know; tastes good even in partial shade; it's like slicing ham; I don't think it's heat-tolerant, but maybe it just took a while to set fruit; large light fruits; it's a little late though)
* a Brandy Boy cross (the Brandy Boy mother was stabilized; the father is an unknown RL variety; the taste was quite good and sort of acidic; it was early, and not just for a beefsteak; it was heat-tolerant and prolific; I grew the F1 last year; I'm growing a fair amount of F2s this year, each plant from a different fruit; I'm also growing the stabilized Brandy Boy and Brandy Boy F1 this year for comparison, but the latter two are much younger, so it's not a 100% fair trial)
* Seek No Further Love Apple (wasn't early, but it seemed like it could be a good, productive tomato with all-around decent characteristics)
* Burgundy Traveler (ditto, but earlier than SNFLA)
* Giant Belgium (ditto; very similar to Burgundy Traveler)

I have seeds I saved for all of those but German Pink, although I'll need to be conservative with Pink Cheeks until I grow it again. My Pruden's Purple seeds got crossed, though.

I haven't tried it, but I wonder what you all would think of the pink version of Cuostralee (aside from being a bit late).

Last edited by shule1; June 19, 2019 at 04:19 AM.
Old June 19, 2019   #191
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

This year, I only have Rose to represent the pink tomato segment.
I love pinks in general, large and small. Cherries as Pink Baby Plum F1 and the Japanese cherry from ASalt.
For some reason, my quite large pink variety collection took the back burner this year, and I focused heavily on gold, orange, yellow...
I probably didn't have my marbles in order when doing the list... the allure of all those Russian orange/yellow ones was too much.
Next year, God willing, I will plant some of my fave pinks. Tarasenko Rozovyi, maybe Pink Baby Plum F1 as it was so vigorous, and Soldacki - for the honor of Carolyn, who introduced that variety to the public.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2019   #192
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I hope I didn't already reply here. This is my first year for Caspian pink and I love it and so has everyone that has had it! Big too! 1.33 pounds is biggest so far, but many in the 1 pound range. Worth trying!
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2019   #193
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Fall Garden:

Porter - the pink tomato grown that gives you that, "That's a real tomato" taste that can be eaten fresh, juiced, canned, pickled, smoked, dried...

Japanese Pink Cherry - A F1 that went OP. Tastes unbelievably good. - This sweet tomato kicks arse. I have written threads about it. Carolyn agreed.

All can't be pink. A good friend sent me some seeds of Medovaya Kaplya that are not crosses. I have enough seeds to try it for the fall garden, and still have plenty for next year. It might actually be the best yellow cherry tomato ever. Carolyn agreed with that too.

The other is a red if I can come up with containers for it. Big Beef F1.
Old June 29, 2019   #194
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

Cleota Pink is my favorite
chiefbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2019   #195
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

Default Cleota Pink is my favorite Pink

chiefbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote