Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 18, 2012   #16
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Another vote for Yummy; very small and cute sweet pepper; very small seed system. Seeds are a little difficult to find (and somewhat expensive). If I remember correctly, Jung has seeds in a mix and Yummy Orange. I found
a plant at Home Depot last summer.
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2012   #17
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Alma Paprika and Franks have been NY mainstay for years....Tangerine pimento and Georgescou chocolate are two other great sweet peppers....I believe SH carries them too.

Fresno is my choice over Serrano... My source was Skyfire seeds but more places should carry it.... It is great fresh or cooked and I use it green and red....

My peppers produce best when crowded. The leaves of the plants should touch their neighbors...Get them out early enough to avoid heat stress, and shade or shade cloth can help too...Sweet peppers thrive in cooler conditions...When we have cool summers Doe Hill ripens by early July for me....

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2012   #18
carpenterlady
Tomatovillian™

My most productive sweet peppers have been Ace, Lipstick, and Jimmy Nardellos. For hot peppers my most productive have been Early Jalapeno, Lemon Drop, and Bulgarian Carrot. Lemon Drop is extremely hot, not as hot as a habanero though. Bulgarian Carrot falls in between the two.

I have a question about Melrose. How similar is Melrose to Jimmy Nardellos? I have seed for Melrose, so I cut Jimmy Nardellos from my grow list. If they are different I may add Jimmy Nardellos since Sandhill has it, and I am still preparing my order for them. I cut it from my SSE order because I would have had to pay more shipping, and I hate SSE's high shipping.
carpenterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2012   #19
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Carpenterlady....Melrose is a shorter, thicker fleshed pepper that gets sweeter when riper...Jimmy Nardello are much longer and thinner fleshed and while very sweet , in my garden they will get some heat too....I love them both and would try to include them both if feasible...

Jimmy Nardello is a taller plant if space is an issue, but more productive than Melrose for me in a normal year...

If ordering from Sandhill try Lemme's for a pepper that falls in between the two you mentioned and was crazy productive on very small plants...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2012   #20
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I grow Melrose each year. For me, it's a very productive and early variety and the plants are very small--about the size of Doe Hill. Very sweet when red. I, too, would recommend it.