Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 11, 2011   #16
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

i gave one of the baker's at the farmer's market i sell at a few ghost chiles and she brought out some amazing jolokia chocolate chip cookies this week... a touch of sea salt on the top was just perfect...
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2011   #17
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

here's a really easy concoction - i mixed minced fatalli peppers with smuckers strawberry jam. oh so good! without a doubt smucker's orange marmalade will be good too, will make some later. i would not suggest these for breakfast on toast at 7 am but i like pbj as a dessert and these 2 hot jams will be great with peanut butter.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2011   #18
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Never ice cream. Ring of Fire in Brownies was pretty good though.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2011   #19
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

yesterday i made cole slaw using ingredients from the garden. i have a lot of habaneros in the fridge that have been holding for weeks so to use them up i added several to the cole slaw, not bad.

i really used a lot in a black bean soup. it has orange juice and water as a base with shredded carrots so it is sweet. i chopped up a dozen and put them in it and it was excellent. hot but sweet.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old November 11, 2011   #20
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
yesterday i made cole slaw using ingredients from the garden. i have a lot of habaneros in the fridge that have been holding for weeks so to use them up i added several to the cole slaw, not bad.

i really used a lot in a black bean soup. it has orange juice and water as a base with shredded carrots so it is sweet. i chopped up a dozen and put them in it and it was excellent. hot but sweet.

tom

A dozen habaneros.

You are a brave fellow.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2011   #21
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

well these are very small habs, end of season runts! they are only 5/8" X 5/8", normally a full sized hab is 1 to 1 1/4" long and 5/8 to 3/4" wide. it did not occur to me to mention they are tiny! plus they are not as hot as full sized summer ripened habs but they are hot. if these were full sized i would have used just 1 or 2 in the cole slaw and 4 in the soup! thanks for commenting cuz it never occurred to me to mention their size, some people must think i am insane using that many habs in 1 dish!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old January 17, 2012   #22
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

we just had a lovely side for smoked pork picnic - apples thick cut & tossed with a bit of Kosher salt, coarse brown sugar, fresh cracked black pepper, soft butter & roasted, peeled, slivered Poblano peppers. Baked @ 350 until the apples were done - FABULOUS!
About 3# apples to 8 Poblanos about 3 T butter, approx. 1/4 cup sugar, 1 t salt & 1/2 t black pepper.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2012   #23
botanophilia
Tomatovillian™

Ground chili powder (I usually use cayenne or chipotle) and cinnamon brownies are awesome. Hot peppers finely julienned or grated into fruit salad,don't overpower the fruit with heat and it's great. Cayenne infused Grey Goose added to hot chocolate is also epic on days like today... 16 degrees outside.
botanophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2012   #24
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Just finished bottling up Red Jalapeno, Cayenne & Hinkelhatz - infused honey. Each separate in jelly jars. If it stays cold in a week or two this is wonderful swirled in a cup of tea & makes an awesome basis for a winter cold toddy.

In the next couple of days, I plan to make specific varietal hot pepper jellies from the last pickings residing in the garage.... and a batch pf peach habanero jam from peaches I froze this summer before the habaneros came in.

For folks who can even a little bit, the Singapore Chili Sauce from the Ball Blue Book of Canning is out of this world. I made it with a mix of Kung Paos, Cayennes, Bird Chilis, Fish Peppers & Piccante Calabrese - let it age from September to Christmas - WOW! Ginger, raisins, vinegar, garlic & some sugar - WOWOWOWOWOW! I recommend it highly.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote