Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 31, 2013   #1
lemurian
Tomatovillian™

Default Suggestions for an OP yellow slicer?

So I want to try a new large yellow tomato, but my initial wants have been shattered by various bad reviews.. For example, I thought Azoychka looked promising, then I read that the skin in quite tough among other maladies. And then I thought I'd go for Hillbilly, because I've had it from a farmer's market or two and they were really sweet and meaty and juicy, nothing spectacular, just good. But I've read that it's not particularly popular on here and other boards, as well as the fact that it doesn't produce in less-than-perfect weather (which we are almost guaranteed to have, if the previous few years are any indication). So I'm open to suggestions for delicious yellow slicers! Or cheers for the aformentioned varieties!

I mention OP because I just have no luck with hybrid tomatoes in my garden. Not one has ever done well for me. My garden is very hot and dry and I'm not interested in fussing with tomatoes.

Also, any thoughts on Rose de Berne are welcome.. I have never seen nor tasted it but want a pretty pink, not a giant, crack-prone monster like my beloved Caspian Pink
lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2013   #2
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

Hi Lemurian. I like KBX a lot and it grows well for me in Siouxland (Dakota Dunes) Dr. Wyches and Aunt Gerties Gold have been highly touted as well, and they are on my list for 2014.
Old December 31, 2013   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I really like growing Taxi, but it is a smaller slicer and not a big beefsteak. I really hate growing Yellow Brandywine, because I get about five tomatoes to a plant, but they are the best big yellow tomatoes I've ever eaten.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2013   #4
natural
Tomatovillian™

KBX is more of an orange than a yellow. It is one of my favorites.

Lemurian,

Are you looking for a bright yellow like Azoychka, or are you open to paler yellows, golds, and pale oranges?

For a pale yellow beefsteak, I like Caseys Pure Yellow and Yellow 1884 Pinkheart.
Those are both reliable producers for me. They are also on the earlier maturing side for larger yellow tomatoes.

Also, a few of the new dwarfs are outstanding, such as Summertime Gold and Dwarf Mr. Snow.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2013   #5
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

I grew Aunt Gertie's Gold a couple years ago. It tasted great but wasn't very productive for me.

Chuck's Yellow was good, productive and the earliest to ripen when I grew it.

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2013   #6
lemurian
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I agree about Yellow Brandywine -- I tried it one year and ended up with a huge, rambling vine and about 5 tomatoes that I didn't even like I'm so grateful for communities like these so I can hopefully avoid similar disasters in the future!

As for color, I would like a nice bright yellow, but would settle for a striped or blushed one. It's probably silly, but I like to grow a rainbow, even in my small garden. It makes me happy to see almost every color represented in my harvest. I am planning on growing Coyote, so pale yellow will be represented. Jaune Flamme and Wild Galapagos will account for my oranges, so yes, a bright yellow would be perfect

The 1884 is one I hadn't ever heard of before.. !! I'm drooling over the photos at Tatiana's.
Old December 31, 2013   #7
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Tom's Yellow Wonder may fill the bill. Yellow Beefsteak. Good taste and a yellow not an orange. I have seeds if you want them.

MikeInCypress
Old December 31, 2013   #8
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurian View Post
I mention OP because I just have no luck with hybrid tomatoes in my garden. Not one has ever done well for me. My garden is very hot and dry and I'm not interested in fussing with tomatoes.
Successful tomato gardening is all in the details..."fussing" as you call it.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2013   #9
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

In 2013 I grew Azoychka, Taxi, Hillbilly (a bi-color) , and Pork Chop.

Hillbilly was the best producer. Pork Chop was excellent, but later. Taxi was prolific, but mine had some blemishes (perhaps from too much fert). Azoychka was pretty darn good.

I also grew Dr Wyche's Yellow and Yellow Brandywine. My Dr. Wyche's Yellow ripened to be orange, and Yellow Brandywine was as others described....low production but pretty tasty.

My favorite was Pork Chop from Wild Boar Farms.

Charley

p.s. I fussed like crazy.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2013   #10
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Haha! This is a forum full of fussers!

I agree that Dwf Mr Snow and Summertime Gold from the T'ville dwarf project are pretty good. They take much less fussing since they stay compact.

Although Wild Boar Farms varieties don't do well for me, Beauty King is a stunning yellow striped tomato with good flavor.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2013   #11
Hermitian
BANNED

I've always liked Azoychka. It bears great crops and if you give it the right amount of Potash the fruits will be in the 12oz to 24oz range and have an amazing taste. Otherwise expect 8oz to 12oz fruits.

Just for fun cross pollinate Azoychka with a deep orange variety, for example: Persimmon. The offspring from the Azoychka parent will typically produce a yellow fruit with tiger orange stripes that penetrate all the way through the core of the tomato. The taste is also a bit richer than the original Azoychka.
Old December 31, 2013   #12
lemurian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
Successful tomato gardening is all in the details..."fussing" as you call it.
Ahh, but some of us are blessed with soil and general conditions that just lend themselves to certain outcomes, and fortunately for me I can plop almost any OP tomato variety in the ground in May, water it for a week or so if it doesn't rain (it usually does) and do nothing but tie it up throughout the rest of the growing season and end up with good tomatoes. Maybe not the most attractive, as our rain is often absent or a deluge, but certainly some of the most delicious.

Almost everything else in my garden requires fussing. My garden is on a southwest slope of a sandy hill with no shade whatsoever in an area where winter can give way to summer in a matter of days.. Some years I fuss over radishes and lettuce!!! But not tomatoes. Eat it
Old December 31, 2013   #13
lemurian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I've always liked Azoychka. It bears great crops and if you give it the right amount of Potash the fruits will be in the 12oz to 24oz range and have an amazing taste. Otherwise expect 8oz to 12oz fruits.

Just for fun cross pollinate Azoychka with a deep orange variety, for example: Persimmon. The offspring from the Azoychka parent will typically produce a yellow fruit with tiger orange stripes that penetrate all the way through the core of the tomato. The taste is also a bit richer than the original Azoychka.
Thank you for that about Azoychka! That sounds like fun.. I have never attempted to cross anything and seldom go to the trouble of saving seed, but I do have some Persimmon seeds around here somewhere. What a interesting project that could be for my 7 year old and I, and another reason to perhaps grow Azoychka after all!
Old December 31, 2013   #14
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Good question and very timely!

Last year tasated my first non red, thanks to the seed exchange. Loved 'em. I was happy with Gold Medal. Very tasty, good producer. Have to say it was trumped by KBX, my very favorite. Did npt like one of the orangish f4 (f5's?) from the dwarf grow out though. Will grow multiples of both again and hope to try some of those mentioned above.

Agree with lemurian .. fuss over greens for very little reward in my yard but tomatoes are mighty.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2013   #15
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to mention Dagma's Perfection. This was a good tomato in my garden. I grew it in a sun-deficient place and it still grew some nice (smaller than should be) tasty tomatoes. Since my environment wasn't so good for it, I hesitate to speculate on its production, but I can vouch for its flavor.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote